Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 1:45:45 PM EDT
I recently purchased a fifty and got some rounds that came w/ it. The tips are painted with blue on top red in the middle and black at the bottom. I was told that these were incindiary armor peircing rounds but am not sure....

My question is whether or not these are actually available to the public or not because I'd like to get more. If so where and for what price?

(you know, for propane and stuff)
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#1]
API is silver
APIT is silver/red
AP is black
I is blue
never saw/heard of blue red black
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:15:59 PM EDT
[#2]
What are the headstamp markings on them?
Many foreign countries use the 12.7x99 cartridge in their arsenals, but mark their ammo differently.
If you can send any pics, that would be helpful....
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll be working tonight but I will try to post said info.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay, I dont have pics but the head stamps have what apears to be yugoslavian characters on them. One looks like a ''backwards K'' and thother character looks like a ''Pi'' symbol?

Also I've only got 4 of these rounds and they have the following dates stamped on them,
3-72
6-70
4-64
2-64      
(I'm assuming these are dates)

Thanks again for any help-MATT    
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:45:04 AM EDT
[#5]
The headstamp makes it Israeli manufactured, but in a cursory search I couldn't yet find a match for the tip colors.
If you're an FCSA member, you might post over there too.  Keith P is the authority on such.

Too, if it's scarce now, it may be worth more to a collector than to shoot.

Meanwhile,  the more common and available types that would accomplish your goal are:

M1 'Blue Tip' incendiary -  not amor piercing, but make a nice flash/bang.  Also known to occasionally ignite inside or exiting the barrel with a small chance of brake damage.
M8 'Silver Tip' API - armor piercing/incendiary
M48 'Yellow Red' S/T - Spotter Tracer not armor piercing, but nice trace with flash/bang/smoke.  Must loaded to lower velocities too!  
M20 'Silver Red Tip'  APIT - armor piercing, incendiary tracer
M17 'Maroon/Brown Tip' - tracer only.... watch for fires,  the tracer element can bounce and burns a long time!

Check with:

http://www.ammunitionstore.com/
http://www.ammoman.com/
http://www.patsreloading.com/

If you reload, components are also available from:
http://www.hi-techammo.com/
http://www.gibrass.com/
htttp://www.wideners.com/
http://www.rvow.com/surplus%20bullets.htm
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I have seen a bunch of blue with silver as what I was told to be inc. piercing.  Another one that i have milling around is a green tip with silver.  def not blue but green.  I haven't seen anything on what it is and am to scared to blow up my gun with it.  I compared in the picture with a blue inc. round.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I figured it was some type of zoom pop burn style stuff.  the silver normally means armour pierce too which is good.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's Keith P's response to the original query:

Info is correct, APIT, Israeli.

Israelis didn't want to fool around with tip color codes. Blue=Incend, Black=AP, so Blue/Black was API, and NOT Silver like the US did. So Blue, Red, Black is APIT.

Characters on the headstamp are hebrew for Israeli Military

Numbers are lot # and year of mfg. 6-70 isn't June 1970, but lot #6 of 1970. (Yes, there are headstamps greater than 12) Some headstamps are even a bit busy, "LOT 2 TZ 82 12.7x99 M20" Good thing they went to the "K Pi 2-82" format!

Israeli Ammo was pretty common at one point, more scarce now. Non-corrosive, Boxer primer.

Some of the ammo issued by Israel (particularly in the early years) carried the above tip color codes, but were actually made by other manufacturers in other countries, and carried the appropriate mfgr headstamp. So it is possible to find early dated .50 rounds, withOUT Israeli headstamps, but still in Israeli tip colors.

There's no real collector value to them since they were so common at one time, ditto for the headstamp rarity, unless it's a non-Israeli headstamp, then it's collectible. And I have had some IMI API/APIT ammo that wasn't very good, case neck and shoulder cracks, primer blow by. Probably caused by improper storage. (Range pickup ammo that was tumbled to make it "look" ok and, consequently, saleable.) So examine them closely before considering shooting them.

Personal views of course, not an FCSA stance.....

Keith Pagel
FCSA / VHP Magazine

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Here's Keith P's response to the original query:

Info is correct, APIT, Israeli.

Israelis didn't want to fool around with tip color codes. Blue=Incend, Black=AP, so Blue/Black was API, and NOT Silver like the US did. So Blue, Red, Black is APIT.

Characters on the headstamp are hebrew for Israeli Military

Numbers are lot # and year of mfg. 6-70 isn't June 1970, but lot #6 of 1970. (Yes, there are headstamps greater than 12) Some headstamps are even a bit busy, "LOT 2 TZ 82 12.7x99 M20" Good thing they went to the "K Pi 2-82" format!

Israeli Ammo was pretty common at one point, more scarce now. Non-corrosive, Boxer primer.

Some of the ammo issued by Israel (particularly in the early years) carried the above tip color codes, but were actually made by other manufacturers in other countries, and carried the appropriate mfgr headstamp. So it is possible to find early dated .50 rounds, withOUT Israeli headstamps, but still in Israeli tip colors.

There's no real collector value to them since they were so common at one time, ditto for the headstamp rarity, unless it's a non-Israeli headstamp, then it's collectible. And I have had some IMI API/APIT ammo that wasn't very good, case neck and shoulder cracks, primer blow by. Probably caused by improper storage. (Range pickup ammo that was tumbled to make it "look" ok and, consequently, saleable.) So examine them closely before considering shooting them.

Personal views of course, not an FCSA stance.....

Keith Pagel
FCSA / VHP Magazine

APIT... that makes alot of sense now and is also very interesting. Are these type of rounds available for public sale, I've only seen ball ammo and tracer rounds
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:35:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Its all availible for public sale except for maybe the Raufoss. You run across Raufoss from time to time but the sources are questionable.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:19:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Its all availible for public sale except for maybe the Raufoss. You run across Raufoss from time to time but the sources are questionable.

I prefer to use the Army's policy of "Don't ask, Don't Tell"
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:35:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I prefer to use the Army's policy of "Don't ask, Don't Tell"

Hell yea.  I found a local gun shop that had a couple slap rounds.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I just learned how to post pics last night so here it goes.......

These are the 4 rounds I've mentioned in the post.

And here they are with their mother
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:25:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top