Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2003 7:37:25 AM EDT
Which bolt action do you think is better?
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I would also like to know what some more informed 50BMG rifle owners have to say.I am going to buy a 50 probably next year (when I get the money saved)and would like to have some opnions on different 50s.Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Plan to save enough money for a scope and rings too ($800-$1500 on avg.).  I planned on using a friend's cheap BSA for plinking.  It didn't even make it 16 shots.  You could actually shake the scope and hear shattered pieces smashing around inside.  I just got my setup together - Barrett M99 with Barrett rings and IOR Valdada scope.  Go to the biggerhammer site and do some research there.  It should help you decide.  I chose the M99 over the AR50 because it was lighter, shorter, also accurate, and I thought it looked cool.  People quote the light recoil of the AR50 very often.  This is due to it's heavy weight and large muzzle brake.  I don't mind the average 50's recoil.  It doesn't hurt - just a long push vs a kick.  If you don't have a truck, portability should be a consideration when looking at the big AR50.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's a copy of a target I shot yesterday at 600 yards using Talon ball (paid $1 a round at the last gun show) in my AR-50.

Get a good scope - I balked at the money for my Nightforce, but I can see bullet holes out to 700 yards and the resolution is awesome.  Im so impressed with the NF that I am in the process of selling my leupold target scopes.

Target link

f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gunslingerdoc/lst?.dir=/ar-50+target
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with the Night Force comments, the Army marksmanship unit also concurs. I am a State Arms fan over the AR50. The Barrett prices put it in another catagory in my opinion. I have nothing against them I just can't afford one at this time. The State Arms 50 bmg's are a very high quality rifle with cost that are closer to the AR50 than the barrett. look at the FCSA website, and you will find that a State Arms rifle is a winner, and Night Force dominates the optics that the almost all winners used.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I was also looking at the state arms rifles.I like the shorty with the camo woodgrain stock.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I decided on the Armalite...I'll be getting a Nikon 20x scope with it.  It's a basic scope..but, it costs $500 and is ultra clear.  I've never seen a more precision scope..however, I do worry about whether or not the recoil could ruin it..
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats!

Nikon makes nice glass.  I totally understand the NF sticker shock as well.

Now that youre getting the AR-50, you need a bipod and a monopod.  [email protected] makes both for armalite and if you get them directly from him youll save some cash.

Now start saving for ammo!  These beasts are fun to shoot but expensive to feed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:55:53 AM EDT
[#8]
4gma,

Damn nice shootin!

Dan
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:56:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks,  best part is the thing gets more accurate the dirtier it gets!
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top