Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/1/2018 11:06:06 AM EDT
LO fucking L...

The latest in picittinny technology.

Perfectly calibrated for long range shooting with 308 because the 6.5/260 that are currently used down range are for suckers.

Complete with somebody else's trigger.

Bravo FN... Bravo...

[/url][/img]
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I think this is great news.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#2]
It doesn't bother me that they use the Super Scar trigger or is in 6.5 creedmore. The former is better than whatever they made and the latter requires more R&D than they have into it. The price does bother me. FN, when I read $5,500 I see "FUCK YOU".

I submit that the whole situation and antics with the SCAR 17 and especially the SSR merits FN now taking the place of HK's "Because you suck and we hate you" throne. I can't think of a case where HK SAID that a product would be released and then held off for years, where HK raised the MSRP price of an item, or where HK did a limited release of an item for the sole purpose of charging a ridiculous price.

Also the exclusion of the SCAR from the NRA instructors discount list makes absolutely no sense when they have the SAW on the list.

I would love a SCAR and SSR but FN doesn't want me to buy them. At this point I would buy a Larue, LMT, HK, or KAC because they haven't been actively screwing with costumers for years. FN if you want my cash, drop the MSRP on the SCAR a $1000 and $2500 on the SSR.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Still no barrel twist rate listed.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Where did you find this OP?
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It doesn't bother me that they use the Super Scar trigger or is in 6.5 creedmore. The former is better than whatever they made and the latter requires more R&D than they have into it. The price does bother me. FN, when I read $5,500 I see "FUCK YOU".

I submit that the whole situation and antics with the SCAR 17 and especially the SSR merits FN now taking the place of HK's "Because you suck and we hate you" throne. I can't think of a case where HK SAID that a product would be released and then held off for years, where HK raised the MSRP price of an item, or where HK did a limited release of an item for the sole purpose of charging a ridiculous price.

Also the exclusion of the SCAR from the NRA instructors discount list makes absolutely no sense when they have the SAW on the list.

I would love a SCAR and SSR but FN doesn't want me to buy them. At this point I would buy a Larue, LMT, HK, or KAC because they haven't been actively screwing with costumers for years. FN if you want my cash, drop the MSRP on the SCAR a $1000 and $2500 on the SSR.
View Quote
Not selling my scar, but this laughable. You are aware that the R and D for 6.5 is done and they are being used down range right now.

5400 for the rifle and a nightforce may have been interesting. 5400 for a barrel, extended receiver and stock that they came up 6 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Dunno what street price would be, but assuming we are starting with a 5.4k MSRP, nah...which blows, I want an SSR something fierce, and have for years.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#7]
It's neat that they've finally decided to release them. Though my interest has significantly waned over time.

I think I would pick something else to get to, and beyond, 800 yards.

I do think every one will sell fairly quickly.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL’ed hard at the price

I’ll wait a year until they are on the secondary market and put a 6.5cm barrel in it
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#9]
For that price I could buy a SR25 and optic.  Good luck moving these bricks FN USA...
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 1:16:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Still no barrel twist rate listed.
View Quote
Pretty sure theyre 1 in 12.  All the pther 30 cal stuff FN makes, including all the chf blanks, are 1 in 12.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:09:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Pretty sure theyre 1 in 12.  All the pther 30 cal stuff FN makes, including all the chf blanks, are 1 in 12.
View Quote
That alone would be nogo criteria. What is this....1992?
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:10:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
FN is selling SCARs as fast as they can import them. I’d wager that’s the reason they’re not offering discounts, they don’t need to. Hate them for that decision if you want but that’s likely the reason.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
FN is selling SCARs as fast as they can import them. I’d wager that’s the reason they’re not offering discounts, they don’t need to. Hate them for that decision if you want but that’s likely the reason.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I'd fucking love an SSR, but there is no way I could afford it without getting in some debt. That said, doesn't seem like FN needs any help selling their rifles, and seems like they might be doing well off.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#14]
The hardcore fanboys are buying. But the SCAR-17 isn’t worth $3300, and the SSR isn’t worth $5k+. I’d be buying an SR-25 for that kind of cash.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
$5,000 for an SR-25 is acceptable though?

Also, why would FN drop SCAR prices if people are buying them faster than they can ship them to dealers?

I'm not disagreeing with you - I think it's too much $$$ for what it is (for me personally), but FN is a business not a charity.

Their primary concern is making money - not whether or not their pricing conflicts with what your definition of worth is.

If people stop buying them, they'll drop the price.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The hardcore fanboys are buying. But the SCAR-17 isn’t worth $3300, and the SSR isn’t worth $5k+. I’d be buying an SR-25 for that kind of cash.
View Quote
Agree. I love my 17, it’s probably my favorite rifle, but I barely bought in at 2.5k. I would not have bought at 3k+. If the SSR were about 3k or maybe even a bit over, I’d probably bite. I realize I like the SCAR more than probably most, and that most would jump only at lesser prices. But at these prices I’d rather just get a KAC for the same or even less price.

This is definitely geared for the collector that has the cash and just NEEDS a Mk20, not the general shooting public.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#17]
“Limited Edition”... yeah okay FN.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#18]
LOL

Quoted:
The hardcore fanboys are buying. But the SCAR-17 isn’t worth $3300, and the SSR isn’t worth $5k+.
View Quote
Agreed
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 1:00:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That alone would be nogo criteria. What is this....1992?
View Quote
This is long range optimization. lol
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 1:47:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

$5,000 for an SR-25 is acceptable though?

Also, why would FN drop SCAR prices if people are buying them faster than they can ship them to dealers?

I'm not disagreeing with you - I think it's too much $$$ for what it is (for me personally), but FN is a business not a charity.

Their primary concern is making money - not whether or not their pricing conflicts with what your definition of worth is.

If people stop buying them, they'll drop the price.
View Quote
I for one don't feel the SR25 is worth 5000, but I do knowledge that its probably the most refined smoothest shooting 308 gas gun on the market.  I am fortunate to be in the position to have find alot of Kac guns and the past and if i wanted one, could get one. At the end of the day that refinement isnt worth it for me,  I shoot LMT's since i Value modularity over that last bit of refinement.

My Scar on the other hand while a good weapon, still suffers from a number of shortcomings.  Its trigger was shit, its hand guard was obsolete, it has a reputation of eating optics, Its stock is a somewhat weak link, it ships with an A2 stock, and the oddest thing i have read is that you need to change out screws when swapping the barrel.

The Scar while its been out for shit, like 10 years now, is still pretty fucking raw. We have seen the MSRP raise from 3200 to 3500. Nothing has really changed.  I can look at the SR25, I objectively say that while its not worth it to me.  They really have developed that platform and that counts for something.

In battle Carbine configuration it has short comings, and in long range configuration, its marginal at best, Marginal caliber, marginal twist. everybody has been going shorter, 1:10 barrels and FN releases this thing.

if i was looking at adding another long range gas gun, there zero reason i would take the SSR over a JP or Gap.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 3:29:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Not sure where the butt hurt is coming from regarding price.
Does not seem to be that much of a premium for the "limited" package thing. What did you guys expect? Where is all the butthurt over pricing coming from. Since day one there has always been a SCAR premium due to the fact that the platform has not become mainstream.
Some quick math:

$100 - Harris SBRM Bipod
$200 - SKB Case (not sure of mode going on average)
$100 - Custom foarm
$398 - First Spear R37 Rifle Wrap
$50 - Vickers Sling
$100 - FN SCAR 20S Field Kit
$50 - Bore guide
$325 - Geissele Super SCAR trigger.
$1,323 - Total of extras NOT counting swag (coin, book, etc)

So, if we are to say a "standard" SCAR 17s is $3,000 we have a total of $4,323 leaves a difference of $1,176.
That means the SSR "cool guy" factors of the longer barrel, adjustable buttstock, longer barrel, etc cost $1,176 as a premium over a "regular" SCAR 17S.

Doesn't really seem that bad.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 4:50:31 AM EDT
[#22]
I bought one
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 5:46:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not sure where the butt hurt is coming from regarding price.
Does not seem to be that much of a premium for the "limited" package thing. What did you guys expect? Where is all the butthurt over pricing coming from. Since day one there has always been a SCAR premium due to the fact that the platform has not become mainstream.
Some quick math:

$100 - Harris SBRM Bipod
$200 - SKB Case (not sure of mode going on average)
$100 - Custom foarm
$398 - First Spear R37 Rifle Wrap
$50 - Vickers Sling
$100 - FN SCAR 20S Field Kit
$50 - Bore guide
$325 - Geissele Super SCAR trigger.
$1,323 - Total of extras NOT counting swag (coin, book, etc)

So, if we are to say a "standard" SCAR 17s is $3,000 we have a total of $4,323 leaves a difference of $1,176.
That means the SSR "cool guy" factors of the longer barrel, adjustable buttstock, longer barrel, etc cost $1,176 as a premium over a "regular" SCAR 17S.

Doesn't really seem that bad.
View Quote
For me the SSR really isnt going to do much more than my current Scar.  I might get a 100fps out of the SSR. the Stock is cool, but I would have to give up the one thing that I really like about the Scar, its ability to Fold.

Now if they offered it in both 308 and 6.5, you know, barrels that they already make in house,  the SSR would be more interesting and something that i would considering paying a premium for. would I pay an extra 1200 over a standard Scar... possibly, although i would probably be more inclined to just get a 6.5 barrel for my standard Scar.

Std Scar with two barrels would be about same price as a SSR with one barrel.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I bought one
View Quote
Jealous.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I think it's awesome they released it. It is a bit overpriced though,and my 16 inch 17 is already a good combo of accurate and light.

I think FN would gain more market  share if they could get the price a little lower too but, not my company lol. Most of the complaints about the scar are either not a big deal or things people would change anyway...would it be nice if there was a factory version of the PMM mlock rails, of course. But FN is more of a cargo ship than a speedboat. Not quick to change direction.

Now they just need to release a pistol Scar SC and make that stock available too.Hopefully not in another 5 years.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll be waiting on the standard model. Less money, less stuff I won't even use anyways, and I won't have to feel bad about shooting it if the Limited ones are individually numbered/for resale value.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I bought one
View Quote
Same. Can't wait to get it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 12:42:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think it's awesome they released it. It is a bit overpriced though,and my 16 inch 17 is already a good combo of accurate and light.

I think FN would gain more market  share if they could get the price a little lower too but, not my company lol. Most of the complaints about the scar are either not a big deal or things people would change anyway...would it be nice if there was a factory version of the PMM mlock rails, of course. But FN is more of a cargo ship than a speedboat. Not quick to change direction.

Now they just need to release a pistol Scar SC and make that stock available too.Hopefully not in another 5 years.
View Quote
I agree that it is cool that FN finally brought out the SSR.  I have been interested in the Scar since it was first released, Ive shot the Mk17 CQC's, the Mk17 standards, I own 17 myself and spent around a grand in addressing short comings.  I think that The Scar platform has a ton of potential.  the Heavy can easily go from light weight carbine to a long range in 5 minutes.  The Light can go from a PDW to long range in the same amount of time.  The Scar has the ability to be what ever the end user wants it to be.

The problem is that FN is not supporting this capability.  CZ is.  CZ pretty much copied the SCAR, and I'll tell you this, I have zero interest in the Scar 16, but I will buy the small frame Bren 2, they are already supporting its modularity and it hasn't really come out yet.  I think a Bren 2/scar 16 PDW with 8 inch barrel in 7.62x39 or 300BO would be awesome, and i would buy that right now.  CZ offers it, FN just leaves it on the shelves.

So yeah, The SSR is cool, I like the platform, but i dont need one 3000 dollar carbine, and one 4000 dollar long range gun and have 7 grand tied up before optics.  I would how ever spend 300-500 on a decent long range stock, and i would drop 1200ish on decent long range barrel, but thats not going to be anything chambered in 308 with a 1:12 twist barrel.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 1:09:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Where did you find this OP?
View Quote
it's 1 in 12 confirmed via fn rep
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'll be waiting on the standard model. Less money, less stuff I won't even use anyways, and I won't have to feel bad about shooting it if the Limited ones are individually numbered/for resale value.
View Quote
Same here, even though the standard will still probably be close to $4k.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 4:25:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Same here, even though the standard will still probably be close to $4k.
View Quote
Was quoted $3999 MSRP by my rep. There’s 5800 supposedly coming so I’m expecting street price is a bit lower. That being said I was also quoted a 1:10 twist. I’d prefer that, but I’m kind of expecting a 1:12 like everything else FN.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Was quoted $3999 MSRP by my rep. There’s 5800 supposedly coming so I’m expecting street price is a bit lower. That being said I was also quoted a 1:10 twist. I’d prefer that, but I’m kind of expecting a 1:12 like everything else FN.
View Quote
Does that mean he said a non-special edition SSR is coming shortly? Or am I misunderstanding? Because I’d be all in for that at a roughly 3500ish street price.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Does that mean he said a non-special edition SSR is coming shortly? Or am I misunderstanding? Because I’d be all in for that at a roughly 3500ish street price.
View Quote
Correct. Doesn't come with all the fancy-ness. Just the standard cardboard box. And I would assume 1 mag. Should be released sometime in November if all goes to plan, according to him.

I'm not big on limited/special edition challenge coins. And I don't need a shooting mat or hard case, or harris bipod. So I'm very much looking forward to the standard.

I'd be in at $4k, but even more so if it hits the market a little less. Can use the gap between the $5.5k and $4k to buy a decent barrel if it's actually a 1:12 twist. 6.5 or .260 could be fun, and I believe those are starting to trickle out in the wild among some units, too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Correct. Doesn't come with all the fancy-ness. Just the standard cardboard box. And I would assume 1 mag. Should be released sometime in November if all goes to plan, according to him.

I'm not big on limited/special edition challenge coins. And I don't need a shooting mat or hard case, or harris bipod. So I'm very much looking forward to the standard.

I'd be in at $4k, but even more so if it hits the market a little less. Can use the gap between the $5.5k and $4k to buy a decent barrel if it's actually a 1:12 twist. 6.5 or .260 could be fun, and I believe those are starting to trickle out in the wild among some units, too.
View Quote
That’s awesome to hear. I think this is going to end up robbing my Tavor 7 fund. Hopefully it’s a 1/10 twist barrel, FN seems to be able to stabilize heavy .308 from their 1/12’s (or at least my old SPR A1, never tried over 168 from my SCAR) but it’d still be nice not to worry about it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#35]
I will be ordering a standard for a MK20 clone when released.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Haters gonna hate. If I had the spare coin I would fo. But I would buy the standard edition that is hopefully to follow.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:39:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I will be ordering a standard for a MK20 clone when released.
View Quote
#samesies
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

#samesies
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#39]
If I were made of money I’d have one just because...but after getting my MWS I ditched SCAR’s all. Together and really haven’t looked back. I was hoping for a SCAR16 PDW pistol with a brace on this release, but I’ll keep waiting...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If I were made of money I’d have one just because...but after getting my MWS I ditched SCAR’s all. Together and really haven’t looked back. I was hoping for a SCAR16 PDW pistol with a brace on this release, but I’ll keep waiting...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2980/F01DD8C9-22B7-4764-A861-CB41612ABC2A-698366.JPG
View Quote
That's interesting. I have an MWS and it's an absolutely horrible suppressor host, even with low back pressure cans like my socom 762 mini 2. By comparison, my SCAR 17 is wonderful due to being able to swap the gas jets. My SCAR has noticeably less felt recoil, weighs less, and is much more accurate despite the lighter profile barrel. My MWS is up for sale.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's interesting. I have an MWS and it's an absolutely horrible suppressor host, even with low back pressure cans like my socom 762 mini 2. By comparison, my SCAR 17 is wonderful due to being able to swap the gas jets. My SCAR has noticeably less felt recoil, weighs less, and is much more accurate despite the lighter profile barrel. My MWS is up for sale.
View Quote
Must be a barrel issue. My SCAR had to go back for warranty work because my AK’s could out shoot it. The MWS is super mild to shoot and is a sub-MOA rifle with good ammo.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Must be a barrel issue. My SCAR had to go back for warranty work because my AK’s could out shoot it. The MWS is super mild to shoot and is a sub-MOA rifle with good ammo.
View Quote
Must have been. Both my SCARs are sub MOA with good handloads and once the gas was properly setup they are mild shooting 308's.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Has it been confirmed that FN will be releasing a (lower MSRP) non-limited edition MK20 SSR version?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Has it been confirmed that FN will be releasing a (lower MSRP) non-limited edition MK20 SSR version?
View Quote
Yes it was confirmed today. All over social media and the internet. Also quiet a few of them on gun broker right now.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 2:32:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yes it was confirmed today. All over social media and the internet. Also quiet a few of them on gun broker right now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you for the heads up
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2980/F01DD8C9-22B7-4764-A861-CB41612ABC2A-698366.JPG
View Quote
I had a LMT 308MWS. Nice gun. Sold it when I got my SCAR 17 and haven't looked back. For what I wanted out of a battle rifle, the SCAR does everything better. I love LMT, but the 308MWS just didn't do anything better. Haven't missed the LMT at all. The SCAR is fantastic. Best gun I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Maybe someone could help embed this.

https://youtu.be/ZojMpywbgdQ

Vickers likes it quite a bit.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:28:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Will the SCAR 20S have a side folding stock similar to the 17S? From what I can find the stock appears to be fixed which is ridiculous for a 20" rifle.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:03:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Will the SCAR 20S have a side folding stock similar to the 17S? From what I can find the stock appears to be fixed which is ridiculous for a 20" rifle.
View Quote
It's fixed. Why is that ridiculous for a precision rifle such as this?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#50]
If I had the money I would buy one in a heartbeat.  I would also buy the stock to replace the OEM 17 stock.  If you do not like the 20s do not buy it.
If I were building the SCAR 20 I would probably change a few things 1in10 twist barrel, ditch the pic rails and just have M-Lok\PenisKey-Mod attachments, and not have a reciprocating charging handle.
The rifle still looks bad ass and maybe they will make it without all the goodies and just sell a rifle with the G-trigger.  I also think it is a great idea to use a G-trigger instead of FN standard trigger or making their own.  Why not use the best instead of trying to reinvent the wheel and probably saved a lot of money on overall cost using something that is already developed and tested.
OP this is what I think of when I read your comments.....  Do not lose sleep over it...
Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top