Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 3/1/2020 10:07:11 PM EDT
First, thank you to Tony and everyone on this thread. I rarely have time to post but have garnered so much knowledge from reading this thread over the years. I finally took possession of my Colt M16A2 last week (can someone email me a link on how to post pics?). Such a joy to shoot.
Currently I’m running a set of LMT MRP uppers.
11.5 with aim point micro
14.5 with irons
16 with nothing so far.

So to the question, I’ve never shot full auto with a magnified optic. Was thinking maybe a low power ACOG for the 16”. Can someone with more experience weigh in as to what they find practical? I’m hoping to shoot steel on a bipod at 100yds and also shoot offhand with this upper. Somewhat of an IAR type upper concept.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:16:54 PM EDT
[#1]
A LPVO is nice for a IAR setup. Something like a 1-6x provides some magnification, gives you large field of view, and can be used more like a reddot on the 1x setting.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 2:43:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a TA44 on my SP1 carry handle for a while. Lets you use the iron sights as well. Tiny little acog, great for old eyes
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I use an Aimpoint with a Aimpoint 3X magnifier on a Larue Flip to side mount.

I haven't tried it, but anything magnified is going to be difficult to view during a Burts/Full Auto.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I haven't tried it, but anything magnified is going to be difficult to view during a Burts/Full Auto.
View Quote
Heavy barreled M16s like the M27IAR or Colt LMG are actually very controllable in full auto if you use a bipod, even more so with a muzzle brake or suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Heavy barreled M16s like the M27IAR or Colt LMG are actually very controllable in full auto if you use a bipod, even more so with a muzzle brake or suppressor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is a 11.5"...it dances a bit

OP's uppers listed are on the lighter shorter end of the spectrum.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Mine is a 11.5"...it dances a bit

OP's uppers listed are on the lighter shorter end of the spectrum.
View Quote
yeah you need a lot of weight at the front end of the firearm.

I'm in the process of building a LMG / IAR setup of sorts and am planning to use either a 16" or 20" heavy profile barrel. The heaviest chrome lined barrels I could find were from RRA.

20" Heavy Barrel w/ Rifle Length Gas System - Weight = 58 oz
16" Heavy Barrel w/ Mid-length Gas System - Weight = 48 oz

FWIW your 11.5" barrel probably weighs about 20-25 oz. You then also get more weight from the longer rail and you can add weight with a heavy muzzle brake or a suppressor.

Also just dial back on the magnification, which is another advantage of the LPVO, you can put it at 6x for precision semi-auto, or back it down to 1-2x for full auto.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input everyone. I will look at LPVO. Any recs are appreciated. I plan on looking at lower power options (low power ACOG) as well. Going to run it hard this weekend. Will try to post some pics.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been thinking about a PSA upper w/heavy barrel and low powered optic for my M16.  Would shoot it off a bipod or MG42 tripod.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-chf-heavy-barrel-mid-length-15-precision-lightweight-m-lok-upper-no-bcg-ch-516444448.html
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I am starting to use the sig arms Romeo.  working pretty good and loving it
Guaranteed for life and cowitnesses will with iron sights
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top