Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2009 2:00:46 PM EDT
I would like to make my Remington 1100 into a SBS.

Can this be done?  I have never had done a SBS on a gas operated shotgun before, so I am looking for advice.

I was wondering how short can you cut the barrel?  Is there anything else I have to do besides cutting the barrel?  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think anyone has a good gas pressure solution! That's why you see some recoil operated semi's as short barrels and not gas operated.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Ask over on Subguns.com NFA discussion board.  You must do the NFA paperwork before you make the weapon.  SBS is less than 18" so put the hacksaw away for now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ask over on Subguns.com NFA discussion board.  You must do the NFA paperwork before you make the weapon.  SBS is less than 18" so put the hacksaw away for now.

I was planning on Form 1ing it, but I was wondering if it was even possible to build a reliable SBS out of a Remington 1100.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I love mine,

I used a barrel with two gas port holes, cut it to 14 1/4 inchs and opened the gas ports up a few thousands at a time until it ran the ammo I wanted. Mine will run both trap loads and buck shot but heavy hunting loads over gas the system and make it kick like a horse.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I love mine,

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg158/MrM4/IMG_2070.jpg

I used a barrel with two gas port holes, cut it to 14 1/4 inchs and opened the gas ports up a few thousands at a time until it ran the ammo I wanted. Mine will run both trap loads and buck shot but heavy hunting loads over gas the system and make it kick like a horse.

Do they make factory barrels with 2 gas ports, or is that something you had to do yourself?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I used a Factory 24 or 28 incher I cant rember which, the problem with 1 gas port is sometimes the holes gets to big before you have the gas you need to function properly thats where having 2 medium holes comes in handy. I paid $30 for this used barrel and just hacked it off and re worked the muzzle in my Lathe. I drilled the holes with a plain drill press and vise (didnt have a mill a the time). Nothing to terribly hard, living 30 miles from anyone I just stepped out the shop and shot a few round and went back and opened the ports up alittle more ( a few thousands at a time) until the gun ran %100.

I have a thread over on silencertalk about building it. Remmington made a few factory 14 inch 1100s for their LE clients, but they didnt want to. Mine had 200-300 rds threw it and no issues yet.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:33:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I used a Factory 24 or 28 incher I cant rember which, the problem with 1 gas port is sometimes the holes gets to big before you have the gas you need to function properly thats where having 2 medium holes comes in handy. I paid $30 for this used barrel and just hacked it off and re worked the muzzle in my Lathe. I drilled the holes with a plain drill press and vise (didnt have a mill a the time). Nothing to terribly hard, living 30 miles from anyone I just stepped out the shop and shot a few round and went back and opened the ports up alittle more ( a few thousands at a time) until the gun ran %100.

I have a thread over on silencertalk about building it. Remmington made a few factory 14 inch 1100s for their LE clients, but they didnt want to. Mine had 200-300 rds threw it and no issues yet.

Do you know how many thousands the holes are now?  I am interested in making a SBS like that.  Your's is gorgeous.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess I dont rember, it varies from gun to gun, like I said open it up alittle at a time until it function correctly.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:29:26 AM EDT
[#9]
One member posted on here it was only five thousandths for his 1100 SBS to cycle all loads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top