Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2021 12:59:58 AM EDT
Is there anyone still doing the set screw mods on the 18T and 51T cans? I have a 7.62 SD and an M42K I want to get done.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#1]
While more expensive I think the better option would be the 1.375 conversion ECCO does is the better bet.

Plus you can get rid of those 18T mounts for a million dollars.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While more expensive I think the better option would be the 1.375 conversion ECCO does is the better bet.

View Quote

Tried to, got screwed and it cost me a few hundred bucks to get back the mounts and tools I gave away. No thanks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Tried to, got screwed and it cost me a few hundred bucks to get back the mounts and tools I gave away. No thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Super confusing post
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Super confusing post
View Quote

Go read page 15 of the ECCO thread.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Excuse me? You did not "get screwed".  Your email confirming that you wanted to be placed in the queue with your contact info for the wait list ended up in our spam folder, and you never followed up after that until griping in the conversion thread months later, at which point we figured out the issue and offered you expedited and discounted service, which you declined.

That offer stood until now.  

It was your choice to give away and subsequently buy back the accessories for cans that weren't yet converted, and it was your choice to decline discounted service with a guaranteed 10 business day turnaround at the beginning of January.  

I can't say I understand not reaching out when you hadn't heard from us confirming your addition to the queue.  That's like placing an online order for which you receive no email confirmation/receipt, and never following up with the company to make sure the order actually went through.  The decision to not do that and instead wait several more months and then chastise us in a public thread is a strange one.  That you're still bitter after we hashed this out months ago is even more puzzling.

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Excuse me? You did not "get screwed".  Your email with contact info for the wait list ended up in our spam folder, and you never followed after up that until griping in the conversion thread months later, at which point we figured out the issue and offered you expedited and discounted service, which you declined.

That offer stood until now.  

It was your choice to give away and subsequently buy back the accessories for cans that weren't yet converted, and it was your choice to decline discounted service with a guaranteed 10 business day turnaround at the beginning of January.  

I can't say I understand not reaching out when you hadn't heard from us confirming your addition to the queue.  That's like placing an online order for which you receive no email confirmation/receipt, and never following up with the company to make sure the order actually went through.  The decision to not do that and instead wait several more months and then chastise us in a public thread is a strange one.  That you're still bitter after we hashed this out months ago is even more puzzling.

View Quote

You’re right, it’s completely my fault that my email, after having an email exchange with you guys went to spam. It’s also my fault that you guys give no indication of turnaround times to let us know what to expect, even in your emails. I guess it’s also my fault that I was tied up dealing with my mother’s estate alone and 1,200 miles away from home, I took my cans with me just in case, and didn’t babysit my order.

I didn’t initially gripe in the conversion thread, I stated when I thought I got on the list. You’re the one who came at me telling me I couldn’t assume I was on the list, except that Jerrica and I had exchanged emails.

I gave away my mounts and tools to people who needed them, shipped at my own cost, including a military member who was overseas at the time. I falsely assumed it wouldn’t be me needing them.

I declined your offer months ago because your discount, turnaround time and solutions in case I needed to leave for work didn’t work for me. No harm, no foul. I moved on. Me declining that offer should’ve been clear enough that I no longer wanted you to work on my cans. Of course you didn’t respond, so I assume that email went to your spam folder.

That you’d think I’d just leave my cans with you (or anyone else) for a year or two is quite odd. Then there’s that whole having to pay for a transfer again, if you sent them to an FFL. Your discount wouldn’t have covered that. You also made no indication that it was open offer. Again, it should’ve been apparent that I didn’t want your services.

Bitter? Lol. The only thing I’m pissed abut is having to replace everything that I gave away and the mounts i bought and have no use for. That’s on me for trying to do the right thing and stay ahead of the game to get things done in a timely fashion.

You guys dropping the ball on my order is in no way my fault.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You’re right, it’s completely my fault that my email, after having an email exchange with you guys went to spam.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You’re right, it’s completely my fault that my email, after having an email exchange with you guys went to spam.

Not what I said at all. That's on Yahoo, but we were willing to take a hit to get you handled anyway.  What more do you expect?

Quoted:
It’s also my fault that you guys give no indication of turnaround times to let us know what to expect, even in your emails.

We absolutely do.   But it's a dialogue.  The only email you ever received from us prior to the January exchange was:  

On Jun 22, 2020, at 5:20 PM, [email protected] wrote:

Hi (redacted),

We would be happy to help with your mount conversions.

At this time, we have a wait list going to help control the volume. I can place you on the wait list and will call you once we have a spot open in the queue for your two cans. What is your best contact info?

Jerrica

That's the preliminary.  From there, we confirm that the wait list is acceptable to someone, then get into specifics of lead times, shipping, details of the conversion, etc.  This has not been a problem for anyone else.

Quoted:
I guess it’s also my fault that I was tied up dealing with my mother’s estate alone and 1,200 miles away from home, I took my cans with me just in case, and didn’t babysit my order.

"Fault" isn't the word I'd use, but certainly not something anyone other than you had control over.

I'm not interested in debating who is to blame for what, though.  Just needed to set the record straight after your implication.  I'm sorry there was an email mishap, but you have no business proclaiming that you "got screwed".  We are extremely responsive and transparent, which is well documented here and elsewhere, so the reasonable assumption if you don't hear back from us within a couple business days is that we never got your message.  In point of fact, the prudent thing to do with any outfit you don't get an expected response from is to follow up.  It's hardly unheard of in the digital age for electronic communications to be sent to the wrong place or not at all.  When we contact people to let them know we have an opening, we try all of the means we were provided multiple times before moving down the list.  We don't ever go with a "one and done" approach.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Snip
View Quote

What you need is a drill press and a tap.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not what I said at all. That's on Yahoo, but we were willing to take a hit to get you handled anyway.  What more do you expect?

We absolutely do.   But it's a dialogue.  The only email you ever received from us prior to the January exchange was:  

On Jun 22, 2020, at 5:20 PM, [email protected] wrote:

Hi (redacted),

We would be happy to help with your mount conversions.

At this time, we have a wait list going to help control the volume. I can place you on the wait list and will call you once we have a spot open in the queue for your two cans. What is your best contact info?

Jerrica

That's the preliminary.  From there, we confirm that the wait list is acceptable to someone, then get into specifics of lead times, shipping, details of the conversion, etc.  This has not been a problem for anyone else.

"Fault" isn't the word I'd use, but certainly not something anyone other than you had control over.

I'm not interested in debating who is to blame for what, though.  Just needed to set the record straight after your implication.  I'm sorry there was an email mishap, but you have no business proclaiming that you "got screwed".  We are extremely responsive and transparent, which is well documented here and elsewhere, so the reasonable assumption if you don't hear back from us within a couple business days is that we never got your message.  In point of fact, the prudent thing to do with any outfit you don't get an expected response from is to follow up.  It's hardly unheard of in the digital age for electronic communications to be sent to the wrong place or not at all.  When we contact people to let them know we have an opening, we try all of the means we were provided multiple times before moving down the list.  We don't ever go with a "one and done" approach.
View Quote

What exactly should I have expected as a response from you? I sent you my info like you requested confirming that I wanted to be placed on the list. I expected to not hear from you until it was time for me to send my cans in. I’ve been in the game quite a while (20+ years) and never have had to follow up making sure my order was in with someone including full custom pistol and rifle builds. I’ve always been contacted when it was time, like your email states, to send money or parts in.

I got screwed by wasting my time and money buying mounts and adapters, swapping all that out, boxing up my cans, hauling them across the country and back, mailing out free mounts and tools and then having to spend the time and money tracking down and buying new mounts.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not helpful or what I asked.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What exactly should I have expected as a response from you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What exactly should I have expected as a response from you?

The same one we provide everyone:

Thank you (redacted). I have added you to the call back queue.

Jerrica Bosco
Vice President, ECCO Machine
303-990-7953
Seen by (redacted) at Monday 10:01pm

Quoted:I’ve been in the game quite a while (20+ years) and never have had to follow up making sure my order was in with someone including full custom pistol and rifle builds. I’ve always been contacted when it was time, like your email states, to send money or parts in.

I'd say you've been extremely lucky that an email never got missed, a voicemail never got inadvertently deleted, post it note never got papers stacked on top of it, etc.  I'd also say I don't buy it.  I can't even count on one hand the number of times so far just this year that I've had to follow up on orders that never shipped or credits that were never issued.   Sometimes things slip through the cracks with companies, whether dealing with hundreds or thousands or millions of people.  And sometimes it's a simple software failure that broke down communication.  It's really not a big deal, you just have to be diligent.  If I hadn't kept after Hardinge on the bearings I returned, I never would have been refunded for them.  If I didn't contact ASOS again when my argon delivery hadn't shown up after a couple weeks, I'd be out of gas and still waiting, grumbling, pissed off at the (small) company who didn't blow me off on purpose, just took my call at a busy time and forgot to get me in their queue.  It's just life.  No sense being angry about it, especially when a company never received your communication and offered to go out of their way anyway to make it right ASAP.   Your expectations simply aren't reasonable.  

Quoted:I got screwed by wasting my time and money buying mounts and adapters, swapping all that out, boxing up my cans, hauling them across the country and back, mailing out free mounts and tools and then having to spend the time and money tracking down and buying new mounts.

You screwed yourself.  That's certainly not something I advise anyone to do.  

Would you dispose of the wheels and tires on your car as soon as you place the order for new ones without even having confirmation and an ETA?  Would you strip the shingles off your roof the instant you fire off the email or leave the message to schedule the replacement without knowing when that will be or that it's even on the docket?  I wouldn't.  Counting chickens before they've hatched and all....

I get that you don't want to accept any responsibility here, but we did all we could to take care of you once we were made aware of the issue stemming from a simple electronic communications failure that wasn't our fault, and it wasn't enough for you.   Nothing more I can say.  Good luck in your future dealings with others, but I expect you're bound for many more disappointments if you can't be bothered to drop a line saying "hey, it's been a bit longer than expected, everything still in order?".  It was like pulling teeth just to get you to tell me who I should be looking for in email after you started complaining in the thread.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The same one we provide everyone:

Thank you (redacted). I have added you to the call back queue.

Jerrica Bosco
Vice President, ECCO Machine
303-990-7953
Seen by (redacted) at Monday 10:01pm

I'd say you've been extremely lucky that an email never got missed, a voicemail never got inadvertently deleted, post it note never got papers stacked on top of it, etc.  I'd also say I don't buy it.  I can't even count on one hand the number of times so far just this year that I've had to follow up on orders that never shipped or credits that were never issued.   Sometimes things slip through the cracks with companies, whether dealing with hundreds or thousands or millions of people.  And sometimes it's a simple software failure that broke down communication.  It's really not a big deal, you just have to be diligent.  If I hadn't kept after Hardinge on the bearings I returned, I never would have been refunded for them.  If I didn't contact ASOS again when my argon delivery hadn't shown up after a couple weeks, I'd be out of gas and still waiting, grumbling, pissed off at the (small) company who didn't blow me off on purpose, just took my call at a busy time and forgot to get me in their queue.  It's just life.  No sense being angry about it, especially when a company never received your communication and offered to go out of their way anyway to make it right ASAP.   Your expectations simply aren't reasonable.  

You screwed yourself.  That's certainly not something I advise anyone to do.  

Would you dispose of the wheels and tires on your car as soon as you place the order for new ones without even having confirmation and an ETA?  Would you strip the shingles off your roof the instant you fire off the email or leave the message to schedule the replacement without knowing when that will be or that it's even on the docket?  I wouldn't.  Counting chickens before they've hatched and all....

I get that you don't want to accept any responsibility here, but we did all we could to take care of you once we were made aware of the issue stemming from a simple electronic communications failure that wasn't our fault, and it wasn't enough for you.   Nothing more I can say.  Good luck in your future dealings with others, but I expect you're bound for many more disappointments if you can't be bothered to drop a line saying "hey, it's been a bit longer than expected, everything still in order?".  It was like pulling teeth just to get you to tell me who I should be looking for in email after you started complaining in the thread.
View Quote

That piece of info is left out in all of your communications.

I don’t care if you believe it or not. I have never had a gunsmith take my info and never get back with me on a project. I’m talking about everything from a simple trigger job to one of one customs that had never been done and will never been done again.

I had no expectations of time because you don’t give out the slightest hint of how long it’ll take. Not even a guesstimate. I’ve been dealing with gunsmiths long enough that I know however long they say, it almost never holds true but at least it is a starting point and it doesn’t bother me. It wouldn’t have bothered me in the slightest to postpone the work when my time ran out and rescheduled, if you were just too busy to get to it.

My only expectation was that I was on your list and that I’d send my cans in for work after I contacted you, you replied and then I replied. Your expectation of me leaving my cans with you or anyone else for an unknown period of time while I’m out of the country working are absurd. Been there. Done that. The individual was a little a surprised and unnerved when I showed up to retrieve my property. I know a few individuals that have lost upwards of 10 grand in such situations.

I emailed you as soon as I saw your reply in the other thread cancelling my order. You didn’t have to pull any teeth.

Believe me, I’ll never put myself in this situation again. The days of me paying it forward and trusting someone to complete work without having to babysit them are definitely over. I guess I should be overly thankful that no one I work with or for needs that amount care.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#13]
@Sixtysixdeuce

I wouldn't waste any more time on responding to this.
I followed this in both threads and I am still waiting patiently in line.

no offense, OP
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Then there’s that whole having to pay for a transfer again, if you sent them to an FFL. Your discount wouldn’t have covered that.
View Quote

Why would you do this? Repairs ship between you and the FFL performing the repair, no transfer tax is needed. I have done it a few times across state lines and haven't had to pay anything more than shipping. You could have skipped the line, got your can converted for less money and time than a person that e-mailed the same day as you that didn't end up in the spam folder but refuse the preferential treatment.

Move on, buy a drill press, bit, tap, and a bag full of set screws from McMaster Carr and do it yourself or have one of your trusted gunsmith's do it. It is not a difficult operation and you could gain some useful tools and skills in the process. Depending on which model of cans you have, you could easily pop out the circular latch spring and use it's existing retention hole as a pilot hole to locate your set screw. That hole is already centered on the tooth engagement area so you don't have to measure anything. You could even leave your malfunctioning latch in place if you didn't want to attempt to drill out the blind pivot pin. It may look better that way anyway. I would probably grind off the remaining teeth on the latch, snip the end of the latch spring off and put it back in to put tension on the latch so that it isn't flopping around.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why would you do this? Repairs ship between you and the FFL performing the repair, no transfer tax is needed. I have done it a few times across state lines and haven't had to pay anything more than shipping. You could have skipped the line, got your can converted for less money and time than a person that e-mailed the same day as you that didn't end up in the spam folder but refuse the preferential treatment.

Move on, buy a drill press, bit, tap, and a bag full of set screws from McMaster Carr and do it yourself or have one of your trusted gunsmith's do it. It is not a difficult operation and you could gain some useful tools and skills in the process. Depending on which model of cans you have, you could easily pop out the circular latch spring and use it's existing retention hole as a pilot hole to locate your set screw. That hole is already centered on the tooth engagement area so you don't have to measure anything. You could even leave your malfunctioning latch in place if you didn't want to attempt to drill out the blind pivot pin. It may look better that way anyway. I would probably grind off the remaining teeth on the latch, snip the end of the latch spring off and put it back in to put tension on the latch so that it isn't flopping around.
View Quote

I wasn’t talking about a transfer tax, but an FFL transfer fee.

I ran out of time at home to get it done, so I wasn’t going to send my cans out and not know when I was going to be able to get them back. ECCO said they could hold them for me (no thanks) or ship to an FFL to hold (pass).

I travel for work and never really know how long I’m going to be gone or where I’m going to be. I could be gone for a week, several months or a year or more. I’ve gone out on a job that was supposed to be 3 weeks, 4 months and 4 foreign countries later I came home. I’ve been at work in Korea, got an email on Thursday, had to fly to Wales on Friday, work Saturday and get back on a plane to Seoul on Sunday to be back at work on Tuesday. I flew around the world 3 times and over 350,000 actual miles in 2019.

I started this thread to move on, find a gunsmith who had experience doing the mod because I don’t know anyone who has worked on cans. I’m not buying a bunch of tools and whatnot to use it twice and have it rust in my garage.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Any FFL can repair a suppressor if the repair doesn’t involve fabricating the regulated parts of a suppressor. Any gunsmith with a mill (probably just a drill press) should be able to do the work. Try to find somebody local with a good reputation.  Somebody you trust leaving your items with. Trusted gunsmiths will be busy, and have a backlog, so find someone you can commit to and resolve to be patient.

It’s probably a good idea to get a couple of new cans in the pipeline as AAC will probably never re-form to a business condition where legacy cans will get repaired.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Any FFL can repair a suppressor if the repair doesn’t involve fabricating the regulated parts of a suppressor. Any gunsmith with a mill (probably just a drill press) should be able to do the work. Try to find somebody local with a good reputation.  Somebody you trust leaving your items with. Trusted gunsmiths will be busy, and have a backlog, so find someone you can commit to and resolve to be patient.

It’s probably a good idea to get a couple of new cans in the pipeline as AAC will probably never re-form to a business condition where legacy cans will get repaired.
View Quote

There again, I’m trying to find someone who’s done the mod. I don’t know of anyone local. I had one guy, he used to build suppressors and sell them locally, but he closed up shop. I’m more than happy to wait because I’m gone so much. I need someone reliable that I can line up with to do the work.

I’m waiting on my 15th, 16th and 17th cans. I’ve been in the NFA game about 15 years.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:29:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah its not really a hard procedure

You literally drill it and then tap it for a set screw.

Pay attention to where the teeth index in the mount and send it.

A local machine shop could easily do this for you if they are taking on work
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 12:37:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There again, I'm trying to find someone who's done the mod. I don't know of anyone local. I had one guy, he used to build suppressors and sell them locally, but he closed up shop. I'm more than happy to wait because I'm gone so much. I need someone reliable that I can line up with to do the work.

I'm waiting on my 15th, 16th and 17th cans. I've been in the NFA game about 15 years.
View Quote
Weak. I've been in the NFA game for about 3 years and I'm waiting on my 25th and 26th stamps. I think. Could be more.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:16:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Weak. I've been in the NFA game for about 3 years and I'm waiting on my 25th and 26th stamps. I think. Could be more.
View Quote

You’re mistakenly assuming cans are my only stamps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top