Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2017 1:25:21 PM EDT
Silencer Shop now has these and there's a lot of talk about how cool and tough this thing is with 3D printing, all inconel (no welding) baffles, and serialized mount.

Nobody is talking, not one word, about sound attenuation, accuracy or impact shift.

To me, these are the big three points I care most about.

Has anybody seen a review or test of the Wave yet?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Who is talking about these? I haven't seen anything. Glanced at ST last night too...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#3]
My dealer has one for sale. I not interested till I see some numbers or real reviews with numbers.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#4]
GunsAmerica has a write up on it.

Pretty new to be many reviews.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Didn't DD make the integral .300BLK that was loud as shit? Am I mis-remembering?

I'd wait for independent numbers.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Silencer Shop now has these and there's a lot of talk about how cool and tough this thing is with 3D printing, all inconel (no welding) baffles, and serialized mount.

Nobody is talking, not one word, about sound attenuation, accuracy or impact shift.

To me, these are the big three points I care most about.

Has anybody seen a review or test of the Wave yet?
View Quote

End user reviews are probably 6+ months away.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Didn't DD make the integral .300BLK that was loud as shit? Am I mis-remembering?

I'd wait for independent numbers.
View Quote
Yep, next to a Leonidas the DD integral sounds unsuppressed. I am waiting on numbers to. They got it wrong, and still tried to sell the hell out out of it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Edit: my internet is screwing up. Accidentally double posted.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#9]
They seem heavy, long, and expensive vs. the current industry standards, and the volume is low enough that I doubt you'll see top sound performance either.  And since on semi-auto platforms backpressure is massively related to sound at the shooter, I see no reason why this can would perform any better there than any other baffle stack setup.  The 3D printing seems to be good at one thing only: increasing DD's margins.

Maybe the can is THAT much more durable (I doubt it) than any other can out there, but consider how few centerfire cans you see getting shot out ever, I doubt it makes much sense to buy it for the added durability outside of some very very small niches.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I may be way off, but 3-D printing of specialized alloys has to be a really young manufacturing practice compared to forging round stock, reductive machining, and welding which all have 100 years of industrial evolution behind them. We are pretty good at it.

It's not something I'd want to be saddled with permanently as in a suppressor, that you pretty much own until you die.

Maybe it's the tits. Maybe you have a boat load of discretionary income to blow. Having new shit is cool, so YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I may be way off, but 3-D printing of specialized alloys has to be a really young manufacturing practice compared to forging round stock, reductive machining, and welding which all have 100 years of industrial evolution behind them. We are pretty good at it.

It's not something I'd want to be saddled with permanently as in a suppressor, that you pretty much own until you die.

Maybe it's the tits. Maybe you have a boat load of discretionary income to blow. Having new shit is cool, so YMMV.
View Quote
Wow. Logic 4tw. I need you on my shoulder before i make purchases i end up regretting regularly.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Wow. Logic 4tw. I need you on my shoulder before i make purchases i end up regretting regularly.
View Quote
I mean, I think you should buy one and let us know how it is. Might be pretty good really. I'm just not sure what benefit 3D printing is if it's still expensive.

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Hahahaa. Sounds like you have the same problem i have.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Brothers in Arms is holding a private event this weekend from various suppressor manufacturers. DD is amongst the representatives that will be there demonstrating. Might hear something come out of that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I think the manufacturing process is the only cutting edge part of this can, I damn sure wouldn't pick it over the other main manufacturers.

This may be a dumb question, but have they thought about a warranty issue such as a baffle strike? How would they take on that task? Yes it is different but cutting edge? I don't think so personally.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:15:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think the manufacturing process is the only cutting edge part of this can, I damn sure wouldn't pick it over the other main manufacturers.

This may be a dumb question, but have they thought about a warranty issue such as a baffle strike? How would they take on that task? Yes it is different but cutting edge? I don't think so personally.
View Quote
From what I saw online, the locking collar is the serialized part. If there is a strike. Detach collar and send in what is left of the old can. I assume they will send you a new one. Attach new can to locking collar and shoot away.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Probably won't see a fair amount of reviews on the DD WAVE for a while.  Like most of have already said, it's a relatively new product that is just now reaching retailers.  I've had some time with it over the past several months and I am very pleased with the performance thus far on 5.56, 300BLK, and 7.62x51 rifles.  I have personally demoed the WAVE on multiple platforms for the law enforcement community and the feedback has been very good.  

I'd like to take a moment to answer the questing regarding warranty service and how we intend to manage any warranty claims on the suppressors.  As previously mentioned, the collar of the suppressor is the serialized component.  Should someone experience a baffle strike, shootout the can, or if the can has a manufacturing defect, just contact us for service.  As long as the collar is in tact and not damaged, you can send the entire assembly to us and we can replace the main housing of the suppressor (maintaining the original serial number) and return once the repair has been completed.  

dB reduction is obviously going to vary between caliber and barrel length.  Here is a recent video where our design engineer touches on the design & construction, and a little bit on dB reduction.  It also shows what the baffles look like.

DD WAVE
View Quote
thanks for the feedback
I honestly don't know if I've ever seen DD post here

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Probably won't see a fair amount of reviews on the DD WAVE for a while.  Like most of have already said, it's a relatively new product that is just now reaching retailers.  I've had some time with it over the past several months and I am very pleased with the performance thus far on 5.56, 300BLK, and 7.62x51 rifles.  I have personally demoed the WAVE on multiple platforms for the law enforcement community and the feedback has been very good.  

I'd like to take a moment to answer the questing regarding warranty service and how we intend to manage any warranty claims on the suppressors.  As previously mentioned, the collar of the suppressor is the serialized component.  Should someone experience a baffle strike, shootout the can, or if the can has a manufacturing defect, just contact us for service.  As long as the collar is in tact and not damaged, you can send the entire assembly to us and we can replace the main housing of the suppressor (maintaining the original serial number) and return once the repair has been completed.  

dB reduction is obviously going to vary between caliber and barrel length.  Here is a recent video where our design engineer touches on the design & construction, and a little bit on dB reduction.  It also shows what the baffles look like.

DD WAVE
View Quote
Joe,

Thanks for the post.  Since nothing had been posted that I can find about caliber AND bbl length combination, I wrote DD about that.  The response indicates that all calibers including 300 WM were tested down to a 10.3" bbl, but that 300 Blackout had not been tested down to an 8" bbl.  If indeed it can handle the 300 WM in a 10.3" bbl, that would make it INCREDIBLY strong and durable.  In that case I would think handling an 8" 300 Blackout would be a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I think the most interesting thing about this can is what it will do to the market. I could see in a few years as 3d printing grows the cost of cans will plummet, combine that with the possibility of silencers coming off the NFA list and I would be a happy camper.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Definitely rated for 300WM but we absolutely didn't test it on a 10.3" 300 WM!  I'm not sure if such an animal exists.  The DD WAVE is definitely durable enough to shoot on an 8" 300BLK.  I, personally, haven't shot it on anything other than a 10.3" (5.56 and 300BLK) as that is the shortest barrel we currently produce with the threaded muzzle.  
View Quote
Any thought on further testing?
12" 762x51?
7" 300blk
Whatever a mini Draco is? 8" 762x39
6.8 and 6.5 grendel restrictions are coming up in discussion recently too
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Definitely rated for 300WM but we absolutely didn't test it on a 10.3" 300 WM!  I'm not sure if such an animal exists.  The DD WAVE is definitely durable enough to shoot on an 8" 300BLK.  I, personally, haven't shot it on anything other than a 10.3" (5.56 and 300BLK) as that is the shortest barrel we currently produce with the threaded muzzle.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Joe,

Thanks for the post.  Since nothing had been posted that I can find about caliber AND bbl length combination, I wrote DD about that.  The response indicates that all calibers including 300 WM were tested down to a 10.3" bbl, but that 300 Blackout had not been tested down to an 8" bbl.  If indeed it can handle the 300 WM in a 10.3" bbl, that would make it INCREDIBLY strong and durable.  In that case I would think handling an 8" 300 Blackout would be a piece of cake.
Joe,  I just sent you via email a copy of my DD response so you can see it in its entirety.  If I screwed up in my interpretation of the DD reply, I apologize and appreciate your corrections.  We all appreciate an industry insider keeping us on the right path!

Thanks,
WholeBunches
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#25]
There should be no worries about a 17oz inconel suppressor for .300 Blackout, with its anemic case capacity and lower muzzle pressure.

A well-made 100% Ti can will handle 8" supersonic .300 Blackout, so inconel is overkill for the task.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#26]
I wonder if SilencerShop has one I can get my hands on..
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if SilencerShop has one I can get my hands on..
DD WAVE @ Silencer Shop
:D What's the min barrel length on the .300 WM? I still have the sound meter too, so I could put a review together quickly.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
To be fair, Laser Sintering has been around since the 80's.  In 2001 a coworker brought home a sweet medieval castle tower (from one of the Las Vegas Tech Expos) that had an internal staircase, all sintered metal, and only about an inch tall.  At the time it was new technology to me and black magic as far as I was concerned.

Now with 3D printing all the rage, it just seems like we lumped in sintering and think its new tech.

So maybe not 100 years of history, but almost 37.  Am I wrong?  Does anyone work in this field and have some background?
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

To be fair, Laser Sintering has been around since the 80's.  In 2001 a coworker brought home a sweet medieval castle tower (from one of the Las Vegas Tech Expos) that had an internal staircase, all sintered metal, and only about an inch tall.  At the time it was new technology to me and black magic as far as I was concerned.

Now with 3D printing all the rage, it just seems like we lumped in sintering and think its new tech.

So maybe not 100 years of history, but almost 37.  Am I wrong?  Does anyone work in this field and have some background?
View Quote
That's basically accurate. Europe has had sinter-printed rifle cans for years, and Delta P's Brevis line are all 3D printed as well, so IMO it's a little bogus for DD to be claiming this is the first 3D printed can. But beyond that, this field isn't really in its infancy any more. Metal printing is robust technology. It's been used extensively in other industries. For example, Koeniggsegg is printing titanium turbochargers for their crazy 1800+ HP cars. The parts are durable.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 4:14:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's basically accurate. Europe has had sinter-printed rifle cans for years, and Delta P's Brevis line are all 3D printed as well, so IMO it's a little bogus for DD to be claiming this is the first 3D printed can. But beyond that, this field isn't really in its infancy any more. Metal printing is robust technology. It's been used extensively in other industries. For example, Koeniggsegg is printing titanium turbochargers for their crazy 1800+ HP cars. The parts are durable.
View Quote
Yes, DD was not the first one on the global market with a 3D printed suppressor.

But they are not at all common here, there is one Norwegian manufacturer selling a model, but that is not selling very widely.

That suppressor is a c. 700-800 EUR retail price product on a market full of 200-400 EUR suppressors at almost the same specs made from aluminium or stainless.

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
Ase Utra sound suppressors
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Oh, I never intended to claim they were common. Just that they've been around for years. This is not a revolutionary idea. In the US, Delta P's designs have been fairly successful already (albeit very expensive).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top