Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2016 9:18:53 PM EDT
may be a silly question here guys but-can you get 9mm subsonic Hollywood quiet out of a pistol?

I have a 5.56 can and a 30mm can so I am somewhat familiar with suppressed firearms.  

What are your 9mm recommendations and why?

Thanks gents.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
may be a silly question here guys but-can you get 9mm subsonic Hollywood quiet out of a pistol?

I have a 5.56 can and a 30mm can so I am somewhat familiar with suppressed firearms.  

Thanks gents.
View Quote

Yes, or pretty close - key is subsonic ammo.

158gr from a Glock 19 with a good pistol can is pretty much hollywood quiet, especially wet.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quietest can on the market remains the Osprey 9.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty much.  My Tirant9 on an m&p with 165gr handloads shot wet is pretty dang close to movie quiet.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Ehhh I'll be the dissenting opinion I guess. I never really found centerfire semi autos to be all that quiet. A Handi Rifle or something similar, however, is incredible. And obviously suppressed rimfire if you're into that. For Hollywood quiet in a semi auto pistol, look no further than a Ruger 22/45.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ehhh I'll be the dissenting opinion I guess. I never really found centerfire semi autos to be all that quiet. A Handi Rifle or something similar, however, is incredible. And obviously suppressed rimfire if you're into that. For Hollywood quiet in a semi auto pistol, look no further than a Ruger 22/45.
View Quote

I agree with the above post.    My Handi Rifle with subsonic .38 specials is STUPID quiet with my Isis 9mm can.    Pretty much click..... thud!   I use it for critter control, and the sound of the bullet smacking the local vermin is louder than the actual gun shot.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll say my Sig P226 with Osprey 9 and 147 grain subs. It is quieter than my Glock 34 with the same ammo. It's not as quiet as my rimfire pistols but it's close! I never knew the rounds hitting cardboard target backing was so loud.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:02:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's possible the overall average is less than a TiRant, but there's zero chance the FRP is less.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#8]
All I can hear is a thud when the bullet hits the berm and the action cycle - or sometimes a chunk when it hits backstop wood. No ears necessary.

If that's not hollywood quiet I don't know what is.

Yes, a bolt action delisle would be quieter still. Yes, an integrally suppressed Mk II/Mk III is stupid quiet - maybe a click from the hammer and that little carrier slide working.  No sound from the target at all unless it hits wood or something.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Never shot a 9mm suppressed but subsonic 22lr suppressed with 16" barrel make virtually no noise, I hear the trigger break and the thud on the target, it's stupid quiet.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's possible the overall average is less than a TiRant, but there's zero chance the FRP is less.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Tirant 9 pretty consistently meters lower from all the tests I've seen.

Hollywood quiet? Not entirely. Il agree that 300blk through a bolt gun definitely is Hollywood quiet however.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

M&P's are one of the quietest 9mm hosts, in my experience. And with subsonic ammo and a quality 9mm can, I would say it's "Hollywood quiet".

I have a couple M&Ps with a Gemtech Multimount and the action noise is fairly quiet and you can clearly hear the rounds hitting the target. I often have people asking me about the setup at the range, surprised that a 9mm is so quiet.
View Quote

I have to agree, the thing about Hollywood quiet is there is no slide or spring noise which is most of the sound you hear with 9mm subsonic.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#14]
P30 + Ti-Rant + Fiocchi 158 grain = Hollywood Quiet

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks gents.
View Quote

Well with 147s running subsonic yeah pretty much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top