Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 102
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Thought I'd give Ron Allen some more kudos here.  A couple of years ago, he made me a M24 Suppressor for my Remington M24A2.   I liked that suppressor so much that I elected to have it serve double duty.  Had the armorer mill the collar step back a couple more inches on the Douglas barrel on my Mk12 and voila, you see what a fine modification it makes.  Very quiet and pleasant to shoot.  It actually serves triple duty because I had an identical 300 Blackout upper made for this Mk12 and it too shoots wonderfully as well.  No reason to post a pic of the 300 BLK upper because it's an exact match for this 5.56mm upper.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 3:01:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eodsix:
Thought I'd give Ron Allen some more kudos here.  A couple of years ago, he made me a M24 Suppressor for my Remington M24A2.   I liked that suppressor so much that I elected to have it serve double duty.  Had the armorer mill the collar step back a couple more inches on the Douglas barrel on my Mk12 and voila, you see what a fine modification it makes.  Very quiet and pleasant to shoot.  It actually serves triple duty because I had an identical 300 Blackout upper made for this Mk12 and it too shoots wonderfully as well.  No reason to post a pic of the 300 BLK upper because it's an exact match for this 5.56mm upper.

https://i.imgur.com/FTXszPU.jpg
View Quote
I see a third pin......

Nice setup!!! Lets see the barrel w/o the can. Inches back? Sounds odd. Usually its just a 2.4" step on aem5/full size cans
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 2:03:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eodsix] [#3]
Per your request, here is the 5.56mm Douglas barrel on my Mk12 on the top and the 7.62mm M24A2 barrel on the bottom.  The Ops Collar on the Mk12 is set between the first and second vent hole and I tried to get a picture of it from the front but its harder, than it looks, to take.  The M24 Suppressor telescopes further back than the rest of the AE line of suppressors.  The shoulder is 4 1/2" from the muzzle.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By eodsix:

https://i.imgur.com/FTXszPU.jpg
View Quote

I'll bet that can is stupid quiet!

Would love to see moar pics of it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 4:20:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eodsix] [#5]
Yeah, it's pretty quiet alright.  Wonderful idea I had to multitask the M24 suppressor.  
These my M24s that are posted on page 24 but I'll put it here for a frame of reference.  Below that is another pic of the Mk12

Link Posted: 4/5/2020 8:54:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#6]

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Back when Ron was young and more beautiful he worked on my FAL.

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ian187:

https://i.imgur.com/CxbZulE.jpg
View Quote

Uh, we gon need to see the rest.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#9]

https://i.imgur.com/CxbZulE.jpg
View Quote

That’s hot
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:33:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I actually don't mind working on weird stuff when I have the time.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Ron I need to contact you soon for a new collar.  Phone or email?  I know the info you need

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Email is best.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#13]
This may be incredibly dumb to ask... But should we ever worry about cleaning the brake?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:35:42 PM EDT
[#14]
@k31user sent email. That FAL pic gave me a solid idea!
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:
This may be incredibly dumb to ask... But should we ever worry about cleaning the brake?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/220444/20200409_142428_jpg-1359051.JPG
View Quote

Keep the threads clean, scrape the area in  front of the thread if the build up starts getting thick.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By k31user:

Keep the threads clean, scrape the area in  front of the thread if the build up starts getting thick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/220444/20200409_142428_jpg-1359051.JPG

That's what I figured.  I took a brass brush to the threads and scraped the brake with a razor blade.  The result is what I pictured.

Sent you an email for a collar.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:02:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ian187] [#17]

Can I buy it back to get it out of circulation? Saves me from having to repair a suppressor.
View All Quotes
I have a OPS Inc Collar Adaptor Extender for a 15th model in my parts bin that I bought from ADCO back in 06 I think. It looks horrible because I used a pipe wrench to remove it when I swapped barrels but it is still serviceable. The first person to email me through the forum can have it for free. CONUS only.

Can I buy it back to get it out of circulation? Saves me from having to repair a suppressor.

I didn't see your response or I would have sent it to you. Unfortunately I gave it away. I know what you mean, it was in my parts bin for a reason.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I actually don't mind working on weird stuff when I have the time.
View Quote

I still have both of these. The 6mm brake you made me is going on a new project soon too.

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 1:17:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Stormblitz:
Does anybody have an AE Collar Adapter Extender or know where to get some? If you have one you'd like to get rid off let me know. I've desperately been looking for one during the last 2 years or so with no luck.

AE Collar Adapter Extender
View Quote

Still looking for one. Send me a PM if you have one. I'm willing to pay good $ for one depending on condition.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:52:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: McCarron] [#20]
On a MK12 or SPR, how is the muzzle break when not using a can? How would you compare it to a SF SOCOM break?
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm going to do stupid terrible things when I get my collar from ron.

It's going to involve an MRE, AEM5, and probably a leupy mk4.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:00:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CMCctx] [#22]
I'm going to do stupid terrible things when I get my collar from ron.

It's going to involve an MRE, AEM5, and probably a leupy mk4.
View Quote

Exactly what I emailed about

Well not exactly. I'm just looking for a way to make a 14.5 work with an AEM5.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#23]
If anybody has one of those one-piece over the barrel mounts they don't need that I could use on a pencil barrel, I have PayPal ready.

Rather have an Ops than a Spikes, but I'll go that route if I have to.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:
If anybody has one of those one-piece over the barrel mounts they don't need that I could use on a pencil barrel, I have PayPal ready.

Rather have an Ops than a Spikes, but I'll go that route if I have to.
View Quote

Which can spacing?
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By McCarron:
On a MK12 or SPR, how is the muzzle break when not using a can? How would you compare it to a SF SOCOM break? 
View Quote

I'm curious to know this as well.  Is it obnoxious?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:55:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By stainlineho:

I'm curious to know this as well.  Is it obnoxious?  Thanks.
View All Quotes
On a MK12 or SPR, how is the muzzle break when not using a can? How would you compare it to a SF SOCOM break? 

It's obnoxious when shooting under an overhang, I can tell you that much; rattles my sinuses.

On an open range, it's not so bad, although I wouldn't want to stand next to it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:18:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cjwwd2] [#27]
Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:

It's obnoxious when shooting under an overhang, I can tell you that much; rattles my sinuses.

On an open range, it's not so bad, although I wouldn't want to stand next to it.
View Quote

My opinion is exactly the same

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#28]

It's obnoxious when shooting under an overhang, I can tell you that much; rattles my sinuses.

On an open range, it's not so bad, although I wouldn't want to stand next to it.
View All Quotes

Yeah, it's not bad behind it.

First time my wife shot it with no can while I was standing next to it...while under an overhang....jesus christ...
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:01:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#29]
I've been off and on about acquiring the AEM5 but this morning I woke up and decided to hit the you know what button.  Just got off the phone with my dealer and said "lets do it".  He had contacted Ron a few days ago inquiring about ordering one directly for me and it sounds like it will be approx 5 weeks out but I'm ok with that.  NFA stuff takes forever anyways.  What's another month and a week right?  My dealer has an onsite range so I'll be able to play with it once it arrives. I'm excited.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By jeremywills:
I've been off and on about acquiring the AEM5 but this morning I woke up and decided to hit the you know what button.  Just got off the phone with my dealer and said "lets do it".  He had contacted Ron a few days ago inquiring about ordering one directly for me and it sounds like it will be approx 5 weeks out but I'm ok with that.  NFA stuff takes forever anyways.  What's another month and a week right?  My dealer an onsite range so I'll be able to play with it once it arrives. I'm excited.  

View Quote

Congrats on finally pulling the trigger! I think you will be very pleased. I've never met a unhappy AEM5 owner. It's my favorite centerfire rifle can I own and goes shooting with me every time.

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

I appreciate that.  Sounds like something I need to buy and then hold until I can get an AEM5.  If only they were in stock.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

Congrats on finally pulling the trigger! I think you will be very pleased. I've never met a unhappy AEM5 owner. It's my favorite centerfire rifle can I own and goes shooting with me every time.

https://i.imgur.com/IvjFJ4I.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/07aG81e.jpg
View Quote

I was all set at the beginning of the year to do it and of course everyone was out of stock on the AEM5s.  So I shifted gears and wound up going for the R2.  Kinda glad it worked out that way as COVID19 put YHM on hold there for a while. I might still be waiting for one.  R9s are going to take longer now to hit the market than we had anticipated and with that in mind I realized I had better revisit this AEM5 idea again.  After thinking long and hard about it decided I should just do it. I already bought the barrel and setup an upper for this.  Its easy enough to swap muzzle devices once my dealer gets the can in from Ron.

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By jeremywills:

I was all set at the beginning of the year to do it and of course everyone was out of stock on the AEM5s.  So I shifted gears and wound up going for the R2.  Kinda glad it worked out that way as COVID19 put YHM on hold there for a while. I might still be waiting for one.  R9s are going to take longer now to hit the market than we had anticipated and with that in mind I realized I had better revisit this AEM5 idea again.  After thinking long and hard about it decided I should just do it. I already bought the barrel and setup an upper for this.  Its easy enough to swap muzzle devices once my dealer gets the can in from Ron.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jeremywills:
Originally Posted By Outrider:

Congrats on finally pulling the trigger! I think you will be very pleased. I've never met a unhappy AEM5 owner. It's my favorite centerfire rifle can I own and goes shooting with me every time.

https://i.imgur.com/IvjFJ4I.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/07aG81e.jpg

Good decision - it's such a great suppressor.

The first time shooting my Surefire SOCOM RC 556 was cool, but it wasn't like mindblowingly awesome.

The first time shooting my AEM5 on the end of my Mod1 though - definitely went, "holy shit" after the first shot through it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

Good decision - it's such a great suppressor.

The first time shooting my Surefire SOCOM RC 556 was cool, but it wasn't like mindblowingly awesome. 

The first time shooting my AEM5 on the end of my Mod1 though - definitely went, "holy shit" after the first shot through it.
View Quote

A lot of truth right here.

AEM5 was my first can. I’ve bought a few since then (SureFire, KAC, AAC) and they all sound pretty good but none of them have been like the first shots with the AEM5. Such a great can!
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:

A lot of truth right here. 

AEM5 was my first can. I’ve bought a few since then (SureFire, KAC, AAC) and they all sound pretty good but none of them have been like the first shots with the AEM5. Such a great can!
View All Quotes

The first time shooting my Surefire SOCOM RC 556 was cool, but it wasn't like mindblowingly awesome. 

The first time shooting my AEM5 on the end of my Mod1 though - definitely went, "holy shit" after the first shot through it.

AEM5 was my first can. I’ve bought a few since then (SureFire, KAC, AAC) and they all sound pretty good but none of them have been like the first shots with the AEM5. Such a great can!

Yep! I've had mine for a couple years now, and even shooting with it pretty regularly, it still gives me the giggles.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#36]

I appreciate that.  Sounds like something I need to buy and then hold until I can get an AEM5.  If only they were in stock.
View All Quotes

I appreciate that.  Sounds like something I need to buy and then hold until I can get an AEM5.  If only they were in stock.

I think that unless you'll find youself shooting under an overhang, go ahead and install it and get it out of the way.

It's no problem when you're behind the rifle outside of that scenario, and you'll enjoy the aesthetic of the rifle more.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

We must be synced up! My first can was the AEM5, then Surefire RC, and I just ordered an NT4 last week. Guess I need to go find an AAC can!
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Anybody running an AEM5 on a R700? Thinking of building a .223 to play around with.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:25:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#39]
Just heard back from my dealer confirming he has my order in for an AEM5 directly with Allen. I can expect it in approx 5-8 weeks.  Then it's visitation time.  I'm excited. I need to go back through the thread and read up on how to properly mount it so my host will be ready.  If I remember reading  correctly your shooting for 7- 8 rotations of the can on the muzzle threads before it should fully engage the barrel collar?

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:
Anybody running an AEM5 on a R700? Thinking of building a .223 to play around with.
View Quote
Im sending my howa 1500 off to ADCO to have it done up
Didnt wanna mess it up myself, so they will conrtour, collar and thread for a mount. Its a 223 :)
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:01:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stainlineho] [#41]
eSilencers has AEM5s in stock.  Got one, kinda excited.

Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:

I think that unless you'll find youself shooting under an overhang, go ahead and install it and get it out of the way.

It's no problem when you're behind the rifle outside of that scenario, and you'll enjoy the aesthetic of the rifle more.
View Quote

I have an AEM5 on the way and a brake/collar on the way from Centurion.  I will be at the range all the time...100m indoor SOT.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey guys just wondering if there are any suggestions out there on what BBL to use for a 12.5" CAR15 build with an AEM5?

I'm doing a Mogadishu A2 build and not finding any evidence of contract barrels that have the right contour. Everything seems to be M4 based from Colt or FN. My options seem to be Ballistic Advantage, DD, and BCM. I have found an FN but they all seem to be mid-length.

Thanks for any help.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
 Im sending my howa 1500 off to ADCO to have it done up
 Didnt wanna mess it up myself, so they will conrtour, collar and thread for a mount. Its a 223 :)
View Quote

Tag me when you get it back!
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Forgive my ignorance.  Is this a long or short collar?  My eyes are deceiving me.

IMG_0958 by stainlineho
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#45]
What OD of barrel is required to contour the barrel and not have to use a collar?
I’d like a factory gun in 6.5g and get the barrel contoured and then just utilize a brake.

Is this asking for too much?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Forgive my ignorance.  Is this a long or short collar?  My eyes are deceiving me.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49891332908_caa918b4b3.jpgIMG_0958 by stainlineho
View Quote

Long
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Gordon's Carbine [Black Hawk Down] - The Delta Colt 723 - 733

9 hole reviews BHD clone video. (uses OPS / AE can)

I haven't finished the video yet but I've been putting off building an upper like this.  

Any leads on a barrel that will work? I'd even be open to a complete upper.  I have been waiting for the 12.5" barrel w/ FSB to come back in stock and am getting impatient, lol .  

I have an OPS 16th model and AEM5 I could use....would probably end up getting a dedicated can eventually.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
What OD of barrel is required to contour the barrel and not have to use a collar?
I’d like a factory gun in 6.5g and get the barrel contoured and then just utilize a brake. 

Is this asking for too much?
View Quote

.920 at a point 2.7" behind the bare muzzle.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:46:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By k31user:

.920 at a point 2.7" behind the bare muzzle.
View Quote

Damn
That’s thicc
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#50]
A Remington style collar is easier. Just a small step and loctite it on.
Page / 102
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top