Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2015 11:28:18 AM EDT
Ok so i'm waiting on my first NFA item and I want to check on it just to make sure there are no problems.  Check cashed in early November.  I know the number to call but I'm not sure what to expect.  Are they nice?  Is it OK to say have a nice day when the call is over and stuff like that or do I need to sound like a robot or something?  Sorry for the potentially irritating post but I've never done this before and don't want to mess it up.  Thanks for putting up with me!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ok so i'm waiting on my first NFA item and I want to check on it just to make sure there are no problems.  Check cashed in early November.  I know the number to call but I'm not sure what to expect.  Are they nice?  Is it OK to say have a nice day when the call is over and stuff like that or do I need to sound like a robot or something?  Sorry for the potentially irritating post but I've never done this before and don't want to mess it up.  Thanks for putting up with me!
View Quote

The three pieces of information you need to have are the serial number, your name/trust name and the transfer dealer.

You can ask to check on the status and they will give you one of four answers (1) Not in the system (2) Pending / pending date (3) Error status (4) Approved.

I think they are working approvals around the September/October timeframe. But you should be pending at this point.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Treat them as you would calling any business.  Tell them you'd like to check status on a Form 4.  Have the serial number, transferor name, and transferee name available...

ETA: You're probably looking at a mid February approval if you used a trust...
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Why bother calling?  It's early enough it's unlikely to be in error status.        

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Treat them as you would calling any business.  Tell them you'd like to check status on a Form 4.  Have the serial number, transferor name, and transferee name available...  

View Quote

I doubt mid February. I have F4 on trust pending from July. Just called after the 1st, no movement.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I doubt mid February. I have F4 on trust pending from July. Just called after the 1st, no movement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like an outlier to me.  I had two Form 4s, on a trust, from the middle of August, and they were approved the middle of December, which is right in line with the graph on NFA Tracker
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saw this thread...called to check on mine.

Four sent on 9/25, check cashed 10/1, approved 1/12.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I had 3 go pending 7-31.  2 were approved around 4 months.....1 is still pending  

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My last four have averaged just over 3 months from the check cashed date...

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#9]
What these guys ^ have already said.
In addition, each time I've called, the person answering the phone has been professional and courteous.

Have the information at your fingertips and don't dawdle.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

February is accurate.
Pending 9/25, F4 trust. Approved 1/7
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm about a week out if mine keeps the same schedule as you guys. Check cashed on the 10th of OCT.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Its not going to go faster if you call. Id just forget about it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:40:22 PM EDT
[#14]
It's no big deal to call.  

They are just people

and remember you help pay their salary.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

February is accurate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

February is accurate.

This spurred me to give a call for mine. Was told it was disapproved and they didn't show any paperwork coming from my dealer. Time to give him a call
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Just called--said it would be done "sometime in May".  I hope its ahead of schedule like most here are reporting.  BTW she was very to the point but nice.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just called--said it would be done "sometime in May".  I hope its ahead of schedule like most here are reporting.  BTW she was very to the point but nice.
View Quote

Every time I called, they said April (1/7 approval) so take that with a grain of salt
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I called to check on the status of my form1 EFILE and they quoted me up to 6 mo.   It was approved two days later.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I called to check on the status of my form1 EFILE and they quoted me up to 6 mo.   It was approved two days later.  
View Quote

Unlike some people around here, I have no problem with people calling to check on paper forms. But what in the world would cause you to call and check on an EForm 1? You created it and submitted it, and can log in and check the status.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Unlike some people around here, I have no problem with people calling to check on paper forms. But what in the world would cause you to call and check on an EForm 1? You created it and submitted it, and can log in and check the status.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never efiled. That's good info
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, with eForms, there's no intermediary status. It goes pending once it's submitted and the next status is either approved or disapproved. There is no error status to worry about.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I called just to see as i was curious too. not sure who i spoke with but she ask for serial number my name (trust name) and told me "shows pending jan. 7th" i said thanks and ended the call. she was really nice. my check cash date was 12/15 so i guess i could say either or is the pending date.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I called just to see as i was curious too. not sure who i spoke with but she ask for serial number my name (trust name) and told me "shows pending jan. 7th" i said thanks and ended the call. she was really nice. my check cash date was 12/15 so i guess i could say either or is the pending date.
View Quote
Count a little over 3 months from check cashed date, and then look for your approval...

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

The guy I talked to yesterday said they no longer give out pending dates unless there is an error.... lolwut
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Count a little over 3 months from check cashed date, and then look for your approval...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

good to hear!! that day cant come soon enough!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The guy I talked to yesterday said they no longer give out pending dates unless there is an error.... lolwut
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

they seem to be all over the place, its kinda nerve wrecking
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This spurred me to give a call for mine. Was told it was disapproved and they didn't show any paperwork coming from my dealer. Time to give him a call
View Quote

How can it be 'disapproved' if it wasn't submitted?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I used a DIY trust and sent forms in the first week of Sept. They cashed my check on 10Sept. It was signed approved on 19Dec and my dealer got the forms and called me on 2 Jan.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dealer hasn't responded to disapproval...

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:06:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They are just people

View Quote

Let them do their job instead of pestering them about dates that mean nothing.  If its in error, the form is comeing back to you regardless of your call.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Let them do their job instead of pestering them about dates that mean nothing.  If its in error, the form is comeing back to you regardless of your call.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are just people

Answering the phone is their job. The examiners aren't answering. The people answering the phones are customer service reps. It is literally what YOU are paying them to do.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#32]
My only reason for calling to check is to make sure that they were sent in by the dealer.  I have had an issue where they weren't and it saved me some time getting the them approved.  If I hadn't called and checked I would still probably be waiting.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A little over 3 months for individual or trust? I have a paper for 4 that went pending mid September and was told April.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:11:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A little over 3 months for individual or trust? I have a paper for 4 that went pending mid September and was told April.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

104 days for F4 trust. Pending Sept 25th. Approved two weeks ago. I too was told April every time I called.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was told the manufacturer (silencerco) had submitted the wrong SN to the ATF. Since the ATF did not list any SN matching the SN on my paperwork, it was disapproved. My dealer is trying to get it straightened out right now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote

They get a lot of calls and thats a canned response.  Each one I did in 2014 was shorter than the last, with the most recent being just over 3 months door to door.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I was told the manufacturer (silencerco) had submitted the wrong SN to the ATF. Since the ATF did not list any SN matching the SN on my paperwork, it was disapproved. My dealer is trying to get it straightened out right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are at least two hops before the transfer to you (Silencerco to distributor and distributor to dealer (and maybe dealer to dealer)) - I just find it hard to believe that it made it this far without being caught.

That being said, I had some issue with the S/N of my Specwar 762 but it was discovered during the Form 3 process. I never got the full answer but I think the dealer got a list of s/n and submitted a form 3 based on that but when the actual cans arrived that number wasn't reflected in the cans that were present.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top