Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2014 10:58:08 AM EDT
I am looking for a can that will shooting 22LR to 45 ACP on pistol and rifles. Ive been looking at the 45 Ospray lately for all of these needs. In the long run, Id purchase a 300BLK Handi rifle to shoot subs out of. Or, realistically would I be better off getting a dedicated 22LR can and then something else for pistols?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am looking for a can that will shooting 22LR to 45 ACP on pistol and rifles. Ive been looking at the 45 Ospray lately for all of these needs. In the long run, Id purchase a 300BLK Handi rifle to shoot subs out of. Or, realistically would I be better off getting a dedicated 22LR can and then something else for pistols?
View Quote

The Osprey cannot be taken down for cleaning so I would not use in on a .22 host.

The Octane might be the closest, but you will be scrubbing and scraping the encapsulator/birdcage following a rimfire session in order to get the piston back in after using a fixed mount.

So yes, you would be better off getting a dedicated rimfire can along with one for centerfire handgun / 300 BLK subs.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the Ti-Rant short, Osprey, and Octane all in 45's. I shoot 22lr-45acp. I would second getting a dedicated 22lr can. I use the SpecterII, and Sparrow. I would recommend the Griffin Armament Revolution 45 and a one of the above 22cans.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Octane 45HD.

Mine was approved in June '14 and I have been using it on, in order of frequency, 9mm, 22LR, 45ACP.  

Works great on all of them except the 22LR pistols; it's not the sound suppression, but it is comically huge/funny to see such a large can on the end of a 22LR pistols.
I'm thinking of selling the HK45CT.  It's a great gun but I realize now that I don't really care for managing my stocks of 9mm ammo and getting a 45ACP stash going.

When I purchased the Octane 45HD I thought that 45ACP would be a better suppression caliber as all commercial 45ACP ammo is subsonic.  But now I've realized that subsonic 9mm isn't too difficult to get ahold of anymore and still cheaper than 45ACP.

My Sparrow has been approved and it'll probably end up on the M&P22 Compact 100% of the time now and I'll use the Octane 45HD on the FV-SR I have on order.  Well, until I order another 22LR silencer and throw it on the FV-SR.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#4]
.22LR requires its own suppressor. Don't shoot .22LR through a center fire can. Nightmare.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:03:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.22LR requires its own suppressor. Don't shoot .22LR through a center fire can. Nightmare.
View Quote

Nothing wrong with shooting 22LR through a centerfire can that is user serviceable.  I've shot about 500 rounds worth of 22LR through my 45HD and the buildup is no issue (so far).  

ETA: Most of that 22LR was copper plated Winchester and some CCI Mini Mag.  That may have had an effect vs exposed lead rounds.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with shooting 22LR through a centerfire can that is user serviceable.  I've shot about 500 rounds worth of 22LR through my 45HD and the buildup is no issue (so far).  

ETA: Most of that 22LR was copper plated Winchester and some CCI Mini Mag.  That may have had an effect vs exposed lead rounds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will build up and it is a bitch to clean.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top