Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2013 10:14:00 AM EDT
Already have a SilencerCo Sparrow for rimfire and "needed" an AR suppressor. Picked up my HTA Kestrel 556 and shot it for the first time today. AR is a 16" upper with an H2 buffer. RTV'd the charging handle. Shot a variety of 55gr and 62 gr reloads and IMI M855. Brought my rimfire AR for unsuppressed comparison shooting Federal Bulk Pack. Alone at the range with the RO so no other noise. The RO volunteered that the AR sounded quieter than the rimfire and I agreed. He has a collection of Gemtech cans and thought the Kestrel suppressed well. It is my first and only AR can so I have no basis for comparison other than comparing with a rimfire and shooting without ear pro. Fired off a mag full without ear pro without a problem.  Gas blowback was bad for the first 10 rounds or so but seemed to resolve itself. Cleanup was not as bad as I was led to believe from reading on this forum. Good can at a good price.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Good to hear

Only 3 months in on waiting for mine so I got some time to go
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad yours works, mine doesnt....
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glad yours works, mine doesnt....
View Quote

Go on.....
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:13:50 AM EDT
[#4]
bhintz10 is just looking to badmouth the Kestrel because he bought a Kestrel 7.62 and put it on a SBR. He vaguely posted in another post that he bought an AR Kestrel but leaves out those facts. Its pretty well known that the 7.62 is a bear to suppress and I'm sure an SBR only makes it worse. If there is a flame coming out of the end of any gun, then the ammo needs to be tailored to the platform. While a flame makes for a pretty show, its ballistically useless. Another guy just wants to badmouth Kestrel because they didn't make the AK mount they promised and haven't offered the QD mount they hinted at. I posted for all those guys that are waiting on their Kestrels and wanted some facts, which is why I posted my gun's setup. BTW, at 50yds and 100yds there was no POI shift from unsuppressed which was a nice surprise. Very happy with the can.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:16:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
bhintz10 is just looking to badmouth the Kestrel because he bought a Kestrel 7.62 and put it on a SBR.
View Quote

I can't speak for bhintz but the Kestrel is one of the loudest 5.56 cans I've metered.  It was in the 137-138db range on a NI/GRAS setup (16").
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:06:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input. I'd be interested in metering info for other cans. FWIW, I think the approx. 3db difference is not statistically significant in the field and I'll take the tradeoff for a can that I can use on my rimfires and which has no POI shift. The tone of the unsuppressed rimfire AR was harsher than this can on my 556 AR.

Quoted:

I can't speak for bhintz but the Kestrel is one of the loudest 5.56 cans I've metered.  It was in the 137-138db range on a NI/GRAS setup (16").
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
bhintz10 is just looking to badmouth the Kestrel because he bought a Kestrel 7.62 and put it on a SBR.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input. I'd be interested in metering info for other cans. FWIW, I think the approx. 3db difference is not statistically significant in the field and I'll take the tradeoff for a can that I can use on my rimfires and which has no POI shift. The tone of the unsuppressed rimfire AR was harsher than this can on my 556 AR.
View Quote

No doubt, being take a part is really the best selling feature of the kestrel.

Just to compare, the m4-2000 (the quietest can I've metered) was right at 131 average.  So its about 6-7db louder.  Noticeable, but again if you need a take apart for .22 there's not too many options out there
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
bhintz10 is just looking to badmouth the Kestrel because he bought a Kestrel 7.62 and put it on a SBR. He vaguely posted in another post that he bought an AR Kestrel but leaves out those facts. Its pretty well known that the 7.62 is a bear to suppress and I'm sure an SBR only makes it worse. If there is a flame coming out of the end of any gun, then the ammo needs to be tailored to the platform. While a flame makes for a pretty show, its ballistically useless. Another guy just wants to badmouth Kestrel because they didn't make the AK mount they promised and haven't offered the QD mount they hinted at. I posted for all those guys that are waiting on their Kestrels and wanted some facts, which is why I posted my gun's setup. BTW, at 50yds and 100yds there was no POI shift from unsuppressed which was a nice surprise. Very happy with the can.
View Quote

Facts what facts did I leave out? Granted it wasnt metered, but my dealer said something was wrong, then I took it to a carbine class where everyone thought it was a barrel shroud (fake can), due to the lack of suppression and flash. Im not the only one who has this opinion who's heard or shoot it. My Kestrel was obnoxiously loud, where two other 7.62 cans, along with an Innovative Arms Mini Grunt, worked as it should on the same gun, on the same day with the same ammo it suppressed the sound and flash. With the HTA Kestrel it wouldnt cycle the action with the WAR receiver, while every other suppressor and unsuppressed did. Sorry that is to much for you to comprehend. Like I said in the other thread, my HTA Guardian did what its suppose to and Im happy with it. But when HTA says its within their "specs" something is seriously wrong. I will not be doing business with them. For the price of the can, tax stamp, and wait, Ill save my money and buy quality, which I did to replace it, a SF Mini.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked up my HTA Kestrel a couple months ago and finally got the chance to shoot it yesterday. I bought it specificly for shooting with an AR-5.45, due to the ability to take it apart to clean it afterwards. It wasn't hearing safe using 7n6 from a 16" barreled AR  at the location I was shooting at (side of a mountain with rock walls and tall trees), caused my ears to ring and I'm partially deaf already
Possibly in another location it would be quieter, but I'm a little dissapointed. Ive shot my AAC 762SD quite a bit on a 16" 5.56 and thought it was quieter shooting 5.56 through a .30 cal can then shooting 5.45 through a 5.56 can. I'll try a more open shooting location before I decide if it sucks or not.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:51:41 AM EDT
[#10]
My review was for shooting 5.56. It's been obvious for a while that 5.45 does not suppress well, at least on the 5.56 can. For all those guys that bought and are waiting for the 5.56 can to shoot 5.56, I just wanted to differentiate the reviews and assure them it is doing its job with that caliber. Again, shot off a mag w/out ear pro and it was hearing comfortable. I could carry on a normal conversation with the RO. The rimfire had a harsher report unsuppressed. Sorry it doesn't seem to be a good go-to for the 5.45 or AK calibers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:04:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a 556 Kestrel on my 10.5" AK74.  While it is louder then an equivelent length AR it still seems comfortable enough to shoot without ear pro.  My real issue ruining it on the AK it the excessive gas in the face.  It jets gas out of the back of the dust cover where the recoil spring its.

D.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My review was for shooting 5.56. It's been obvious for a while that 5.45 does not suppress well, at least on the 5.56 can. For all those guys that bought and are waiting for the 5.56 can to shoot 5.56, I just wanted to differentiate the reviews and assure them it is doing its job with that caliber. Again, shot off a mag w/out ear pro and it was hearing comfortable. I could carry on a normal conversation with the RO. The rimfire had a harsher report unsuppressed. Sorry it doesn't seem to be a good go-to for the 5.45 or AK calibers.
View Quote

There is absolutely no reason 5.45 should be significantly louder than 5.56 out of the same can...if they're both fired from an AR.  Trying to suppress an AK...yeah not going to work so well.  But from the same platform it should perform similarly.  It's not the quietest can on the market that's for sure.  People buy them because you can take them apart...and because they're cheap.  That's about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top