Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2012 5:06:52 PM EDT
I am trying to work out a quite subsonic load for my AR 15 with a can.  I used the data from the makers of trailboss and loaded some 55 gr. FMJ's with 4 grains.  The gun end was nice and quite but I was still getting the crack of the bullet from down range.  With only 60 ft/sec below the standard speed of sound, using Hodgesons data, I am thinking 4 grains in my gun was not subsonic.

So... I am thinking trying 3.5 and 3.8 grains.  I am wondering if any one else has experimented with Trailboss and 55 gr bullets.  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I tried 4.0 gr. with a 55 gr. Hornaday SP a while back through a 23" T/C Contender.   I only fired three shots through the chrono.  Velocities were 1035, 885, 923.  

Later on I ran some 50 gr. Nosler bullets with 4.0 and 3.7 gr., with 10-shot strings of each.  Loads were much more consistent, averaging 1087 and 1071.  

I'll have to get out and try some again some time.  I've still got a couple of cans of Trailboss.  I played with it a little with a bolt-action .243 that I'd had threaded for a can too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#2]
i found that Clays was more consistant for me when using Hornady 55gr FMJs.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:35:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Just drop in a .22 conversion, and you'll be in the same performance range.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:22:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I used 3.6 or 3.8 grains (can't remember) of Trailboss with the same bullet out of a 16" barrel and most remained subsonic.  I think they all would have been subsonic if I had used them at the same time of year that they were developed.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:58:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input.  I worked up a 3.8 grain load of Trailboss and all remained subsonic.  It is very very quite.  It sounds just like in the movies.  The performance was still enough to plow through three 2 inch pressure treated boards and then into a log on the other end.  The load sounds as loud as a 22 with out the can it is so quite.  

Thanks again.  

PS  I thought of running a 22 LR upper, but my dealer said that with my can, which cannot be user dissasembled, I would end up over time clogging the can with the residue of the 22 LR.  Plus this is a whole lot cheaper than buying an upper or a new 22 LR AR.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#6]
My load data says I went 3.1 grain of titegroup. They all stayed sub sonic. I only tried it once as a novelty. I have a suppressed .22lr that is so much more practical.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#7]
i checked my notes and chrony records.  I was using 3.4gr of Clays.

With this load i was getting consistand sub-sonic preformance out of a 16" barrel using Hornady 55gr FMJs.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top