Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 9:43:03 PM EDT
can I use an Outback II on my .17 HMR?  The barrel's not threaded yet, but can this setup be done?  If not, then I'll put a YHM QD on there and use the 5.56 phantom, but using the Outback II would be perfect...
Anyone do this?  Anybody have their Savage .17 HMR factory barrel threaded?  Do they gotta pull the barrel off to make sure the threads are concentric?

thanks, Benji
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:11:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

can I use an Outback II on my .17 HMR?  The barrel's not threaded yet, but can this setup be done?  If not, then I'll put a YHM QD on there and use the 5.56 phantom, but using the Outback II would be perfect...
Anyone do this?  Anybody have their Savage .17 HMR factory barrel threaded?  Do they gotta pull the barrel off to make sure the threads are concentric?

thanks, Benji

I don't think the outback is 22 mag or .17HMR rated, your YHM can will work just fine, but it'll be heavy. I've got a savage MkII in .22Lr that I run my Spectre on and it's a great host. I had mine threaded by a local gunsmith and he just removed the stock and trigger assembly from the action when he threaded it, since the action is just a tube it fit in his lath just fine and he used a dowl down the barrel to make sure it was spinning concentric to the bore.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Be sure you clean out all the lead deposits from your .22lr can before you start shooting the 17.

I was shooting a .17HM2 and it was enough blast to knock off some lead deposits and cause an endcap strike in my Spectre.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top