Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 8:09:40 AM EDT
This is a serious question.

How do you tell if threads are not concentric?

How do you tell if the mount isn't installed on the barrel correctly?

I always mount the can and look down the barrel.

I sometimes run a rod that is close to the size of the bore down the tube and out the end of the can.

What else can one do to insure that the mount is installed correctly?

ETA:  How do you tell if the threads on the barrel are concentric?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:54:18 AM EDT
[#1]
i do it the same way you do, eye down the bore and rod.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#2]
That doesn't seem to be full proof.

How do you check the shoulder that the can mount aligns agasint?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#4]
could you b a little more specific?

put the barrel in a lathe?

with the can mounted?

check for?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#6]
after reading that thread  .  .  .  I'm worried about my 12.5' sbr that i just mounted a can on.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Not SC-Texas but I know its a Denny's 12.5" 5.56 Operator built off a Mike Rock blank.  Since he specifically designed that barrel for use with the Ops and AAC back over th ebarrel cans in mind it would be one of the barrels I would ASSuME is very concentric.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
what barrel?

DEnnys guns 12.5" operator.

Bu this thread is more to figure out how people who buy a can and mount it, or I sell them a can and install the mount . . . . . I want to know what we can do to ensure that the can is mounted properly and that the installation won't result in baffle strikes.

I have mounted lots of customers cans, Tactcal Jen  has done the same, Keith - NFA Investments, we all have and the normal method is to torque the mount to specs and check for an obstruction.

In fact, Jen and I mounted my SPR/M4 mount last week.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#10]
If you don't have a lathe then correctly sized drill rods stored hanging will yield similar results. The drill rods will act like a feeler gage and allow you visibly see if the suppressor is concentric to the bore. I tend to only trust my own eyes so I have a set in different diameters I use on my suppressed rifles.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#11]
IAN,

Do you have the proper diameters handy for 5.56, 6.8 & 7.62?

I know, this sounds stupid b/c the above calibers are in mm, but what is the corresponding size in drill stock?

Also, where do you get drill stock?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
IAN,

Do you have the proper diameters handy for 5.56, 6.8 & 7.62?

I know, this sounds stupid b/c the above calibers are in mm, but what is the corresponding size in drill stock?

Also, where do you get drill stock?

You need to measure the ID from the lands, those calibers are measured from the groves. I don't have the rods handy at the moment so I can't give you the exact diameters.

Your Search-fu is weak...let google into your heart and be one with the internet.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#13]
ian how's the suit coming along?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Your Search-fu is weak...let google into your heart and be one with the internet.

sNartAzz . . . you had to confuse the issue with Google facts

I should be able to get it from online metals, but the diameter would be helpful.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top