Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2002 12:59:46 PM EDT
I have a NIB Custom made springfield M1 in .308 that is causing problems even after a complete look over and cleaning. I pull the trigger, round fires, extracts and chambers a new round. I release trigger & pull the trigger again to fire, trigger is limp. Check hammer, it is foreward. A small dimple is already on the primer. When I do this manualy without ammunition, I watch the hammer ride the bolt foreward.  Any ideas?  
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the rear hammer hooks are not catching on the sear when the trigger is held back. The relationship of the front hammer hooks/trigger lug and the rear hammer hooks/sear is critical and is usually dicked up by "custom trigger jobs". If this is the case you will need a new hammer and maybe a trigger/sear...
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like whoever built it got carried away with the trigger job.  He probably cut too much off the hammer or trigger.
Since this is new......send it back to the builder.If you can't....new hammer and/or trigger.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Small primer hit is normal.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe a bit longer explaination is better.  When the bolt on the M1 and M14 moves forward, the firing pin moves forward within the bolt.  When the bolt suddenly stops, the pin continues to move forward and makes a small dent on the primer.  This is normal.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help guys.  After reading your comments I pulled the trigger pack out and here's what I found.  When I hold the trigger back and re-cock the hammer, the rear hammer hooks and sear do not make a clean catch.  Ocassionally it will hold, but usually the hammer flys foreward after a few seconds or minor jolts.  Other times, the sear does not engage at all.  If I hold the hammer back and push the sear foreward by hand, it will hold and all is well.  But, for some reason the sear does not engage by itself.  Very strange!  Guess I'll send the pack back and get a new one.  Thanks all
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, Niko that's what you need to do.

Your sear and trigger hooks are not properly catching the hammer and allowing the hammer to follow the bolt.

This WILL lead to a slam fire sooner than later. You don't need that time bomb going off in your face.

Is this a Springfield Inc. rifle? If so, call them up and have them do warrenty work. If it was built by a custom 'smith, see if he will warrenty the repair. If not, DO NOT use this trigger assembly until the problem is fixed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#7]
When you mentioned a "limp trigger" I was going to suggest something else.  But after finishing your post, I see what the problem was.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Maybe a bit longer explaination is better.  When the bolt on the M1 and M14 moves forward, the firing pin moves forward within the bolt.  When the bolt suddenly stops, the pin continues to move forward and makes a small dent on the primer.  This is normal.

I have to question this. On AR-15's, SKS's, FN-49's, MAS-49's, and probably many other designs, this would be true. In those designs the bolt carrier blocks the firing pin from contacting the primer before the bolt is locked. Since the bolt carrier is moving rapidly forward, the firing pin also is or can be moving forward with some force when first allowed to contact the primer.

But on M1's and related rifles the firing pin is blocked, until the bolt rotates locked, by a stationary surface on the receiver itself. Any momentum the firing pin has is spent when the hook-like projection on its rear end strikes against that surface. The firing pin might touch the primer, but should not put a significant dent into it like with an AR-15.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Try the following web site as there is some good advice there specific to the Garand.

http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/garand/garand.pl
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Check with Fulton.  He's making some ARs now but he's really an M1 expert.  He has lots of good surplus stuff available.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top