Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2002 7:57:02 PM EDT
It never ceases to amaze me at the thousands of of base and ring combinations offered by the  different scope companies, and yet I can never  get the right set up. I am scoping two rifles and getting no where fast.

It always takes the brown truck two or three trips to get the right combination, hopefully by this weekend the next set he delivers will work. I always use the companies ordering info but it guarantees nothing. I have even tried ordering high and medium sets of rings thinking if one set doesn't work, the other one surely will and still have been disappointed.  I also have found many times there is no combination even offered for my particular gun.  It's a circus/jerkus I tell you. Do any of you know of a definitive reference book that gunsmiths use to mount scopes?  Thanks for reading this crap. Steamy_Windows
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 8:05:59 AM EDT
[#1]
If offered, try downloading the specifications sheet from your scope supplier (most are included in the Brownell's master catalog).  Many manufacturers (Leupold and Burris come to mind) have similar spec sheets for ring and base combos for different rifles too.  Although they are helpful, they are not the gospel as far as fit goes.  For instance, I recently scoped a Browning A-bolt with a Leupy VXIII 3.5-10X50.  Leupy's specs called for high rings but I was able to "get by" with medium rings and ended up with a better set-up for my cheek weld.  However, as you seem to have discovered, it sometimes takes a trial and error method to get it just right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top