Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2002 7:39:35 PM EDT
Specifically the Glock 19C...does the porting do it's job effectively at reducing the recoil??? Just wondering...I'm having 9mm fever lately and thinking about the Glock 19c as CCW and another good range shooter. Is it a good gun?

Thanks for you opinions,
NAKED
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#1]
IMHO the porting is not worth it. Especially for a carry gun. Muzzle flash and flame is not what you want when you have to shoot while holding the gun next to your body. Plus I just cant stand the extra noise of a comped firearm
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Naked, The Glock 19 is a great gun, but you do not want to go with the ported 19C as it will ruin your night vision if you have to use it, plus it really is not a good idea to port your carry gun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Snorkel_Bob & Boom are right. Ported barrels belong on race guns not carry pistols. I used to have a 23C, in 40 caliber and the muzzle gasses as well as little shavings of copper were VERY disturbing. There was no way I could shoot from anywhere close to my face.

One thing though, the hotter the round, the better the recoil reduction. I used to shoot Cor-bon 135 grain +P's and there was NO muzzle rise. It felt kind of weird...but the system works great. I imagine shooting +P 9MM must be like shooting a BB-gun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a Glock 32C in 357 sig and I could not notice any significant recoil reduction.  I did not have any problems with any gases or metal shavings, and I also fired the weapon in a blacked out indoor range to check to see if flash would blind me and it did not.  I do not think the porting worked that well though so I would not pay extra for it.  In a 9mm its really pointless as there is very little recoil anyway.  Another downfall of the porting is that it makes the gun extremely loud.  My 32C was much louder than either of my 44 mag revolvers.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies...when I shot the G19 it was a little harder in follow-up compared to the 92fs...just wondering if it could be better.

My CCW instructor is a former 25 year FBI vet, and is totally in love with the Glocks. Especially for CCW. He said of all choices the Glock is the best for carry. I have to admit, I do not like the feel nor the way Glocks ride follow-ups.

Just not sure...still pondering.

Thanks again guys,
NAKED
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 7:13:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Naked,
    My 92FS is clearly more stable and better on recoil than a Glock, but its too damn big and heavy for CCW.  I'm in the process of buying another CCW weapon as I sold my GLock 22 and 32C to buy a 20" Bushy and TAO1.  I'm probably going to go with that slimline glock in the 45, or maybe a baby glock in 9mm for CCW.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Funny, I feel just the opposite.  Owning both a 92FS and a Glock 19, I find the recoil (what little there is in 9mm) much more manageable on the Glock 19.  

My followup shots are faster and more accurate with the Glock... and I find I get more muzzle rize from the 92FS.  Strange.

I'm a lefty, dont think that matters tho.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top