Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2002 10:11:34 PM EDT
I went out today and put about another 300 rounds through the Mil-Spec I bought a couple weeks back. Again I didnt experience any problems. I also put around 50 silver tip holopoints through it without a hitch. I am extremely impressed so far. Upon cleaning I did notice that the parkerizing between the frame and slide is wearing. No real big deal though. Finish is going to give when two metal pieces are sliding back and forth like that. Plus I want to get the boron carbide finish when I have completed the gun. I am so pleased with the gun that I am going to put the Mil-Spec operator on layaway tomorrow. My wife is going to kill me when I have to start ordering double the parts .

It was kinda funny because I was shooting with a buddy from work who, like all the others at work, are Glock fans. They are always giving me a hard time about how my HK USP45 is a big piece of junk etc etc. Well today when shooting his Glock had a FTF. Neither my 1911 or HK had any problems at all. Made me laugh. He engaged the first two silouette's, while moving to the next box he did a mag change, then engaged the other two targets. Well tried to. His Glock after the first shot on the 3rd target he had a FTF and had to quit the drill. He sat in the car for a few minutes jerking on the slide trying to dislodge the cartridge
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 12:47:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey, I noticed you were also a member at hkpro.com

I just bought a USP45f (or I should say awaiting its arival) and I love 1911's as well.

Despite what some will say these two are really great guns! I'm working on my 1911 as I get the money.

Here it is:

It started out as a Mil-Spec Springfield as well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 5:10:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 6:14:41 AM EDT
[#3]

The Mil-Spec has also made a believer out of me..... I purchased one recently to use as a base for a custom pistol. I, like the other member, planned on doing it slowly and one piece at a time.(Less money strain and I'm able to weed out what parts really work)

After shooting over 500 rounds through it I have not had any malfunctions and accuracy was excellent (for what I expect out of a defense pistol). I am very picky about a weapons reliability. I have traded away weapons that were very expensive and supposedly reliable within weeks of purchase. Most probably could have been worked out but I still would always be thinking about it in the back of my mind.

I think I will leave this fine pistol alone and spend my money on a different weapon that actually needs a little help.

Link Posted: 2/25/2002 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The Mil-Spec has also made a believer out of me..... I purchased one recently to use as a base for a custom pistol. I, like the other member, planned on doing it slowly and one piece at a time.(Less money strain and I'm able to weed out what parts really work)

After shooting over 500 rounds through it I have not had any malfunctions and accuracy was excellent (for what I expect out of a defense pistol). I am very picky about a weapons reliability. I have traded away weapons that were very expensive and supposedly reliable within weeks of purchase. Most probably could have been worked out but I still would always be thinking about it in the back of my mind.

I think I will leave this fine pistol alone and spend my money on a different weapon that actually needs a little help.

I too have gotten rid of guns that were supposedly really good guns because I had problems with them right off the bat.  If a gun isnt completely reliable out of the box I wont keep it.  

I do plan putting some parts and pieces on my Mil-Spec only because its my carry gun.  I'm not sure what the plan for the operator is going to be.  I guess #1 will be paying for it
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, But:

I own a SA 1911A1 & have had it for years. I'll never sell it, either.

In case everyone didn't know SA is the only company still using a two-piece barrel. IOW, that's subpar for the industry.

I got around this bit of lack of perfect accuracy by having a Wilson NM barrel installed. My groups dropped from 4-6" @ 25 yards to 2-3". There was NO sufferage of reliability in operation.

Of course this depends on the caliber of the gunsmith doing the work. But there's NO reason for anyone to own a "self-defense pistol" & not achieve damn nice accuracy out of it, **especially** a 1911 !!!!

Brownells sells the Wilson NM barrel for about $150 or so. Best investment I ever made for a firearm.

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad to hear positives on the SA 1911 Mil-Spec.. just ordered one!  Am sure I will be posting ?'s for modification, upgrades, etc.. down the line.. will look forward to advice from other members.
Bravo5-2
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top