Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2002 1:57:11 PM EDT
I had been told that 40's aren't as tolerant of variances in ammo as 9mm's or .45's.. is this an accurate statement?  I don't want to disseminate falsehoods.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 3:21:06 PM EDT
[#1]
What`s a 40?.........
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 4:45:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry about being a wiseass....it`s just a personal thing...that I see no reason for 40 to exist in this land of confusion.....to each his own.......carry on.......
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:21:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sorry about being a wiseass....it`s just a personal thing...that I see no reason for 40 to exist in this land of confusion.....to each his own.......carry on.......

How about the fact that with a .40, you have a higher capacity than a .45, and more energy and a bigger hole than a 9mm?  Makes perfect sense to me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#6]
How about more energy than most .45 loads?  Of course, they have less momentum, which the .45 fanatics actually think means something.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#8]
That depends on how you interpret the fact that some manufacturers decided to use un-supported chambers in their .40 models.

Link Posted: 2/23/2002 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I reload 40 S&W and in my experience that caliber is very easy with tolerances.

It would be very easy to double charge i.e. put two loads of powder in a 40 S&W cartridge. This would probably blow a gun up? I am guessing because I am not going to try it.

I opted for a 40 S&W on the advice of a uniformed LEO who was at the gun store counter when I purchased. I asked him about 9MM and he said he did not believe the 9MM had enough "knockdown power". I asked him about KaBooms in 40 S&W and Glocks and the LEO smiled and shook his head no, indicating he was not troubled by the idea.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Goad- I don't trust the opinions of most LEO's reference to firearms and I am a LEO~!  I've heard more disjointed thinking about the topic of guns and cartridges than anything else in my nineteen years of LEOness.

MM- I've shot a bunch of .40 S&W from a bunch of different guns and never had the least problem.  But, I've not played with much in the way of reloads, that seems to be the sticking point and the Department gives me enough ammo that I don't reload for the .40.

JMHO
Rick
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Goad- I don't trust the opinions of most LEO's reference to firearms and I am a LEO~!  I've heard more disjointed thinking about the topic of guns and cartridges than anything else in my nineteen years of LEOness.snip
JMHO
Rick

I am NOT trying to flame you BUT your statement is a classic! If you are too close to see the humor: You said "I do not trust the advice of LEOs implying: we should not either. I am a LEO and offering this advice." LaughingOutLoud.

I was trying to inject more information into the public domain. I feel comfortable that the 40 S&W is "strong enough for a man, yet gentle enough for a woman." (Frickin' pop culture and too much TV!)
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#12]
MM,
 I own 3 .40 S&W handguns and two of them have seen extensive use. (Pins, IDPA, IPSC) I've never had a problem with factory ammo. I've bought surplus Fiocchi, Federal, Win. White box and others by the case. (almost all 165gr)
Never a problem.
However, I have had problems with "surplus" 9mm and .45 ammo. Bad OAL, bad primers, no charge etc. .40 is a great caliber IMO. Highly useful in the civilian as well as LEO and Military applications.
Make your own conclusions, I say stick with good ammo and you'll be fine in any caliber, but if you want a good carry caliber, .40 is a great choice. BTW, my carry gun is a .40 and the ammo is Cor-Bon 135 gr.

PS.  I brought Billie to the vet today. She's having skin problems. (hot spots, excessive shedding) they gave her 3 shots and three different meds. Plus a heart worm test. Total damage $140.00!
Ouch. I asked them if she could work it off...retrieving things for them...they didn't see the humor.
I also was having problems with her going in the road and not comeing when called. Today she was introduced to Mr. Electric collar. Needless to say, the road is now a very BAD thing.
She also is delighted to come when called. IMO, it is a very humane way of teaching her she has to do what she's told (for her own good.)
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#14]
We did manage to start a new "which caliber" thread......I will agree that 40 has a niche in the world......didn`t say anything negative about it and again...just personal.....45 is my choice...and for smaller holes with more power...10 works great...std or subsonic....oh, the nine...strictly fun.......
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How about more energy than most .45 loads?

I have seen this stated many times, but have yet to see any ballistics to verify it.  Actually, I have all three calibers (9mm, .40, and .45) and carry any one without being concerned about any of them not doing the job.  Actually, my favorite pistol is my Sig P228 in 9mm, but my P220 and P229 in .40 are close.  I also have Rugers in all three calibers.  So, I say, get at least one of each caliber.

I have never had any problems with any of the calibers in any of the pistols.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 5:45:16 AM EDT
[#17]
.....I feel so...left out....does`nt the 10 count as a 40?............................( I don`t like egg nog either)......."ouch!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top