Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2002 12:54:33 AM EDT
I use to have a Glock 23 but I traded it for a Beretta 96. My hands are too big for the compact grip and I didn't like the finger extensions on the mag. Now I own a Glock 21 and I've had it for over a year now. I've also put a few dollars in it for after market accessories. I have over $1700 in it so far..LOL It's a great shooting pistol but I do have a few complaints about Glocks. The mags suck. Don't get me wrong, they have always fed without a jam but I hate having a 10 round mag that you can hardly load that tenth round. I have 5 factory mags and every one of them is the same. The second to the last round is a pain to load but that last round is just awful. Then when you do get that last round loaded, you have to shove it in the mag well because its like the top round in the mag is sitting up too high and you have to push it hard to get the mag catch to engage.

I would have went with a steel mag and mag catch as factory componants. I know you can buy both as aftermarket accessories but they don't offer a steel mag for the model 21.

Also I don't like the polymer grip. Even with the finger grooves and checkering it doesn't help much when your hands sweat. And you can't add a hogue wrap around finger groove grip when the pistol already has finger grooves on it. They should come up with a way to dip the grip in some kind of rubber like hogue uses on thier rubber coated plastic grips. That would be pretty good. Or they should have built the gun with replaceable side panels like the 1911 pistols have.    

Another thing that chaps my ass is the trigger safety. I mean come on, what good does this realy do? If something is going to snag the trigger, its going to snag the safety and engage it so its really useless. I have an aluminum lightning strike trigger I've been thinking about tig welding the safety down and grinding it smooth. Someone needs to come up with an aftermarket trigger without the safety lever.

Other than that it is a great pistol. I would depend on it if my life was in danger but I hope there aren't more than nine people attacking me cause I leave out that tenth round in the mag..LOL

Hear is what I have added in aftermarket accessories.

1) Titanium striker
2) Titanium plunger
3) Stainless captured guidrod with spring
4) Chrome extended slide release
5) Chrome extended mad release
6) 3.5 lb connector
7) Lightning stike trigger
8) LaserMax internal laser system
9) Buffer
10) Match grade stainless stock length barrel
11) Match grade stainless ported barrel
12) Match grade stainless 400 cor bon barrel
13) Grip plug
14) M-3 tactical illuminator
15) 5 drop free 10 rd mags
16) Fobus belt holster
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 1:37:01 AM EDT
[#1]
If you've already put $1700 in that Glock, I would spend the monet to get some (12)rnd factory High-Cap mags.  If you like a tackier grip, buy a bicycle innertube and cut out a piece the length of your grip.  Invert the piece of rubber tubing and stretch it onto your grip frame - works like a charm.  I would leave the safety alone; the gun was designed to work flawlessly as it is.  Just my .02.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 2:12:14 AM EDT
[#2]
You can't put an intertube on a $1700 dollar gun. Thats like buying a farrari and putting a wal-mart radio in it..LOL

I've also seen tacky spray you can put on a grip but who wants that crap all over your gun? I'm sure that would collect a little dirt too..LOL

As far as the hi cap mags, they are the same way. I just think if they are meant to hold a certain amount of rounds, they should hold them with no trouble.  

Maybe I should contact Hogue and see what they think about the idea of coating grips for Glock and other polymer pistols. There are alot of them out on the market today and I'm sure alot more will follow.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 3:28:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:06:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I think I smell a Troll, but I'll play along ...
Agrip works pretty well for a good grip.  So do the decal grips.  

Since you shelled out for the gun, why skimp on the holster?  There are A LOT better holsters out there.  Don't get me wrong, I have a fobus paddle holster that sees some use, but for a belt holster you can do much better.  Try Sidearmor or BladeTech.  

The pre ban mags are not as bad to load the last round.  The 10 rounders have to be able to pass BATF scruitiny as to never ever be able to load one more round or be modified, etc, etc, ask Bushmaster about the trouble they had getting their new 10 rounders approved, they had to go with a model where you can't remove the base plate.    
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey GLOCKshooter don't worry, I'm not looking for a flame or anything. Trust me I love my Glock or I wouldn't have spent so much money on it. I was just talking about a few things I would change to make it better for myself. I know that not everyone would agree with me but what I would change about the pistol would fit me better.

I've thought about the decal grips, I looked at them at a gunshow but I was leary of them. I don't know anyone that has them on thier pistol so I don't know if they are bad about pealing off. Plus the ones I saw were for the older style pistols without the thumb rest and finger grooves. Would the side decal grip peal off easier since it would have to ride over the thumbrest? You know how decals on anything flat tends to stick better than on a curved surface.

I've never heard of Agrip, what is it?

Also I just use the Fobus holster when I go shooting behind my house. I don't have a concealed weapons permit so I didn't spend the extra money for a better hoster. The fobus works just fine for me around here.

As for the preban mags, I never had one for my model 21 but the model 23 I had it was the same way, the last one was still hard to load.

As for Glock in general it is a great, dependable pistol and I would recomend it to anyone. I've never shot a smoother 45 cal pistol, especialy since I added the 3.5 connector and lightning strike trigger.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Home Depot has a rubber dip that is generally used for the handles of tools like pliers. It works well on guns too. It comes in a quart sized can and you just dip in at a rate of inch every 4 seconds or so and adds about 1-2mm of thickness when dry. Comes in different colors and they DO have black. Cut and peel off if you don't like. It's exactly like the rubber stuff found on common tool handles.

If you wanted to do the glock handle, just make sure you block off the mag well and mag release. I did my ar15 pistol grip with the stuff and it worked well. Was actually thinking of doing the foregrips too as it grips really well but the can isn't very deep and I don't have enough to put into something deeper. I think it was 15 bucks a quart size can. Works well on pliers too :-).
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder how that Plasti Dip stuff that you can put on tools to improve grip would be on a Glock.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a G23, with the old straight grips (I hate the finger grooves), made two factory upgrades: put on trijicon night sights, and a NY trigger (I like a little more meat in my trigger pull) worked flawlessly, don't really see the need for all the bells and whistles despite my love for gadjets.  Note, its a carry weapon not a range toy which is another reason I was not inclined to make changes.  I have complete confidence in the waepon and have not yet had any desire to carry anything else except the .380 -- when the Glock is too large for the circumsances.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a Glock 17 which I owned since '92 and just traded recently, I never felt safe with the in the trigger safety.  Had the gun had a manual safety lever, I probably would've been much happier with it.  Did have a problem with stovepiping in the end as well, which a gunsmith was unable to resolve.  On the whole I liked the design and innovations that went into it, but I like a metal framed gun with a safety/decocker.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#11]
The list of accessorries needed for a night sight equipped Glock.

1. ammo
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#12]
My 23 is as solid as a rock. Infallible. I have added a set of Meps, and High-(standard)-cap mag, but other than that it is box-stock. Many thousands of rounds, no issues. It is as designed, reliable, efficient, simple, and accurate. Grock.

Link Posted: 2/17/2002 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You can't put an intertube on a $1700 dollar gun. Thats like buying a farrari and putting a wal-mart radio in it..LOL

I've also seen tacky spray you can put on a grip but who wants that crap all over your gun? I'm sure that would collect a little dirt too..LOL

As far as the hi cap mags, they are the same way. I just think if they are meant to hold a certain amount of rounds, they should hold them with no trouble.  

Maybe I should contact Hogue and see what they think about the idea of coating grips for Glock and other polymer pistols. There are alot of them out on the market today and I'm sure alot more will follow.

I don't know, the innertube worked just fine with my GLOCKWORKS CUSTOM G19 (no extra barrels or "laser", but everything else).  I shot it in competition, and believe me, pretty is as pretty does.

-EDITED- to add that I don't have any high speed "chrome" parts either.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#14]
You can definitely put a Hogue on the gun with finger grooves.  I had one on my duty 21 and now my 35.  They made little cut outs inside the slip on that fit right over the polymer finger grooves.  The are a pain to put on the large frame pistols, but I like them on mine.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I prefer to keep my guns stock.
"KISS"
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:42:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm a Glock man for sure: G22, G23, G27, G30. Looking to buy a G35 but AR-15 toys keep getting in the way. I accept the design of the safety as part of the package. I don't think the guns for a novice, and I would never hand one to anybody unless the slide was locked open and the mag removed. I often carry the G27 in my pocket; always ensuring that nothing else is in that pocket. No coins, pens, nothing but the Glock. I carry an irreplaceable tool between my front pants pockets and I don't want to be in this joke: What do you call a man who put a Glock pistol in his pocket with an object likely to pull the trigger without warning? Dickless fool.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:50:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Lots of pro's but no one listing cons.  I guess you all left it up to me.  How about the fact that they blow up all the time?  I dont think there is a model made that doesnt have multiple documented cases of them blowing up.  Sell the Glock and get an HK.  A Glock would be a HK if left in the womb for the entire gestation period
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 1:09:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah H+K USP .45's are great, they are on their second set of magazines. Sometimes when you drop a mag the mag follower "shoots" out. They redesigned it to fix the problem and replaced the original defective mags. The redesigned mag., spits the follower out too.

Not to mention that awful trigger reset on the H+K's and SIG's after each shot.
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 6:54:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You can definitely put a Hogue on the gun with finger grooves.  I had one on my duty 21 and now my 35.  They made little cut outs inside the slip on that fit right over the polymer finger grooves.  The are a pain to put on the large frame pistols, but I like them on mine.

Yes sir you are right I have them on all my Glocks!! even the 26 & 27 .

As far as the mags go , leave them loaded for a few weeks . That usely relaxs the spring some.

Come on over to the Handgun fourm

handguns.ar15.com/forums/index.html
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 10:09:53 AM EDT
[#20]
[Ahem] What, no racing stripes?  ht- put all the factory stuff *back*

While it's fun to play with accessories for a competition gun, you really don't need or want them on the Glock for carry purposes.

Really.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Hear is what I have added in aftermarket accessories.

1) Titanium striker
2) Titanium plunger
3) Stainless captured guidrod with spring
4) Chrome extended slide release
5) Chrome extended mad release
6) 3.5 lb connector
7) Lightning stike trigger
8) LaserMax internal laser system
9) Buffer
10) Match grade stainless stock length barrel
11) Match grade stainless ported barrel
12) Match grade stainless 400 cor bon barrel
13) Grip plug
14) M-3 tactical illuminator
15) 5 drop free 10 rd mags
16) Fobus belt holster

So, what you're saying is that this is your hide-out gun?

All kidding aside...to go along with what's been said already, the skateboard-type grip tape will help. Check it out...
www.decalgrip.com/sys-tmpl/door/
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 10:46:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a glock 23, I really like the size and the fact that it's a Glock.

However, after firing it for 200 rounds I found out that my hand is too large for the grip and the slide had sliced the web of skin between my thumb and forefinger open.

The finger grips position my hand in the wrong place.

I did a little Dremmel surgery, I removed the finger grips from the front and ground down a little bit of the rear stipeling.

I also removed the square edges from the trigger guard and ground down the bottom inside of the trigger guard.

I filled in the stipeling and smoothed out the ground down areas with a mixture of Superglue and baking soda, filed it smooth and the put skateboard tape over it for a grip.

Now it fits my hand perfect.

The skateboard tape has stood up to repeated exposures of Gun Scrubber and CLP.

I bought the G23 for the light rails.

After all of that I found out that I could of just bought another G23 lower reciever with the light rails and without the finger grips / back hand hump.

Oh well, live and learn.

Link Posted: 2/21/2002 11:34:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Yeah H+K USP .45's are great, they are on their second set of magazines. Sometimes when you drop a mag the mag follower "shoots" out. They redesigned it to fix the problem and replaced the original defective mags. The redesigned mag., spits the follower out too.

Not to mention that awful trigger reset on the H+K's and SIG's after each shot.

Thats funny, yours is the first complaint of HK mags that I have ever heard.  Spent years now on the HK boards and mailing lists without a peep.  

I would much rather have a magazine throw a follower that a chunk of steel blow up in my face.  There is nothing good to be said about Glock.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 4:24:40 AM EDT
[#24]
try this with your G21 and see how long it lasts...lol

Link Posted: 2/23/2002 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a G19c and have had no problems. I use a Fobus Paddle Hoster. I am going to get the A-Grip to put on it. Has far as mags go try www.glocktalk.com, if you haven't been there yet. I had same problem loading the 9th-10th round. It got better after loading about 10 or 20 times. I have 15 round mags now and they work great. I want to get a G23 if you don't like it I will buy it from you for a discount price;-)
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
try this with your G21 and see how long it lasts...lol

Who ordered the BOAT ANCHOR???
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
So, what you're saying is that this is your hide-out gun?

All kidding aside...to go along with what's been said already, the skateboard-type grip tape will help. Check it out...
]www.decalgrip.com/sys-tmpl/door/

Yeah, he has so much in it he has to hide it! LOL!! All my Glocks have stock parts and they never miss a beat!
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#28]
All those people that complain the Glocks KBing more than any other gun don't have any idea what they are talking about!  Check out this thread www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=90337 and count all of the actually KBs with Glocks.....3, that's it!  Then there are 3 second hand accounts???  There are more AR15 KBs than Glock.  That should mean that the AR15 is more prone to KB than the glocks.  We all know that not to be true, but those that don't like the Glock for whatever reason, have to make it evil in their mind, so they can sleep better at night!    

Anyhow, just my $0.000002
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top