Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/11/2002 3:57:05 PM EDT
we've all had one.  what's the biggest firearm mistake you ever made?
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't we just have this thread?  My biggest firearm mistake was talking a friend into buying a Kel-Tec P-32.  I promised him I'd buy it off of him if he didn't like it.  After he couldn't get it to work, I ended-up having to put my money where my mouth was.  After a trip back to Kel-Tec, $800+ (I can list the expenses if you want, because I know $800 on a $250 pistol sounds excessive) spent on it to try to make it work, a trip back to Kel-Tec, and months of frustration, it still doesn't work.  Pictures at users.upstate.net/zoom/P-32/  Sorry if I sound bitter, but it's because I am.z
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#2]
holy crackres, i was just thinking about buying one of those.  i'm torn between the p32 and the NAA .32
you got raped.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#4]
i had a similar academy choice, the s&w sigma .40c or the glock 23.  had no problem making that choice.  BTW, the dept stopped using the sigma. biggest POS on the planet.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#5]
AMT hardballer...AMT backup.......LLAMA 45 acp.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#6]
UNIVERSAL M1 CARBINE
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#7]
omigod, LLAMAs should be issued covertly to the taliban. THEY SUCK ASS!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Funny... no matter how many iterations of this thread I see, I'll never get tired of telling people how big a piece 'o shite my carbon-15 was.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#9]
A .44 Desert Eagle. I bought it new in around 1995 I believe. After seeing it on all the action movies I thought it'd be cool to own. Boy was I wrong. I couldn't hit a damn thing with it. It stove piped, failed to extract, after shooting a couple rounds the safety lever would loosen up and it'd be stuck on safe till I tightened the screws. The slide catch wouldn't hold. When I put a mag in, the slide would go forward.I sent it back to the factory and had a new slide release catch put on then sold it. The guy who bought it sent it back to the factory 2 times to have various things fixed. The only good thing about that gun was that if you used it for defense and emptied the mag it was heavy enough you could beat someone to death with it. Glad I got rid of that piece of sh*t.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
holy crackres, i was just thinking about buying one of those.  i'm torn between the p32 and the NAA .32
you got raped.

Mine and my brother's and a friend's also work great no probs. Dont know what happened to that other gun, looks like it had some super duper hot ammo in it.
GG
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#11]
A 185 series stainless Mini-14.

Oh sure, I had to add all the gadgety crap like the stainless flash-hider, stainless rings and scope, stainless butt plate and stainless mags.

Wound up just being a big expensive stainless steel rifle like thingy.

I hated it!!!!!

Traded it on an AR (smart) and thus it all began
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#12]
A Browning .22 Auto rifle.  Bought it new and despite having it worked on by 3 different smiths and then being sent back to Browning's service center in Arnold, Missouri two different times---it never did work right.  Really soured me on Browning firearms.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Dont know what happened to that other gun, looks like it had some super duper hot ammo in it.

It was all factory loaded ammo.  I haven't tried-out any of my reloads yet, because I still need a recoil spring catch.  I can post a picture of the underside of the slide to show you that I haven't, if you want.  That's the first place (besides the soft aluminium frame) the P-32's start to wear when you shoot hot ammo.  A picture of what I'm talking about is at: users.upstate.net/zoom/P-32/P32slide.jpg
Notice the front edge of the cut-out in the slide for the chamber.  It is rounded in the picture.  While some of the blueing has worn off on the sharp edge on mine, the edge is still sharp.

quietshoez, the P-32 is still worth looking at.  It is smaller and much lighter than the NAA 32.  You might decide the P-32 is worth the extra expense (overnight shipping is expensive) and hassle to end-up with a better pistol to carry.z
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By Gun Guru:

Mine and my brother's and a friend's also work great no probs. Dont know what happened to that other gun, looks like it had some super duper hot ammo in it.
GG

it must be the ammo, i've heard good and bag.  what did u shoot through it?
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine was a Universal M1 carbine. It looked real good when I bought it but it wouldn't feed with mil-spec clips. After hunting all over for an actual 5rnd mag from Universal,I discovered that they were plastic . Every one I've ever seen has either a crack up the back or the lips are worn out.The end result is the same.When you pull the bolt back to chamber the first round you usually get all five.Very impressive,not to mention embarassing. Lets not even talk about how inaccurate it was. No one who fired it could group better than two feet at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#16]
beretta 21 bobcat .22lr. its a single shot
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

??????????????
i take it, you mean it's broken?
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine was pos Smith and Wesson Sigma 9m.  it was the little tiny 9mm that looks just like the .380.
It would shoot only once in a while.  The rest of the time it would just go "click".  It was stiking the primer too light.  It would also stove pipe when it did light one off plus it shot like holding on to a firecracker.  Traded it on a S&W model 66.  I love that one!
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

??????????????
i take it, you mean it's broken?

No. its a POS jammo-matic
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Mini-14, I would have been better off with a shotgun, I could have gotten the same groups and only have to pull the trigger once.  Unfortunately I traded a good surplus M1 carbine for it thinking the 30 carbine load was to light.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#21]
A Davis chrome-plated derringer in .32acp. It literally fell apart the first time I shot it. Then after a trip to the factory for a rebuild, I realized you couldn't hit a damn thing with one even at 5 ft. Then after about 4 rnds the extractor came off. Sold it to a guy I worked with for $50. He loves it. Best thing he's ever bought. Go figure?
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#22]
purchase junk?......
My worst purchase was a Ruger M77. What a pile of cheit!

RANT MODE:

This thread reminds me of one of my more loudmouth friends who thinks of himself as super gun-saavy. The prides of his collection:

Llahma Micromax 380
LLahma .45
SKS with ALL the tacky bolt-ons
Rossi lever action .45LC
Savage .45-70 lever action

He has alot of other useless POS crap that he likes to brag about. "Ohhh ya well, how many guns do I have now?" (rub big belly) "Let me see."
The best was when I had to field strip that .380 Llahma cause he could ot figure out how to get the recoil spring out.
He gave me a hard time when I dropped $700 on a 1911 .45. The same guy who ends up borrowing my P220 all the time cause he dont have a decent auto-loader.
I also get a kick out of the fact that the only two pieces he owns that are worth anything; (Trooper II .357, and Andaconda .44) were either a hand-me-down from his father or a graduation gift from his best friend.  
I ordered a Ar-10T a few weeks ago. After I told him about it he replied "Hey you copied my idea, I wanted to order on of those."  This guy droppin $1,700 on a rifle, yes right! He know he can get like seven Rossi's for that much dough!!!

RANT MODE OFF

BWAAAAAAAA!

Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
we've all had one.  what's the biggest firearm mistake you ever made?

Mosin nagant!!! Its better off being a collector's item (I have no interest in wasting money on collecting guns) than a shooter. for me it was inaccurate as hell, I didnt really like the sight very much, but then again I put it a ATI gunstock which has too small of barrel channel... lack of aftermarket parts, products, and services. Its now being listed on gunbroker.com and I already paid for the rem 700 rifle. The good thing is that the nagant didnt need paperwork since the receiver's made before 1899 but I bought the rem 700 from another guy in my state so either ways no paperwork. Oh and did I mention that the damm nagants wont feed? The round keeps getting caught by the rim desipte my best efforts to keep the rims ahead of the one below it, its better off being a single shot!
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:38:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Boomholzer wrote:

Savage .45-70 lever action

What's wrong with the Savage lever action?  I really want something that will shoot 45-70, so I was just wondering.  I've seen a couple Savage lever actions for sale, and they were even more expensive than the equivalent Marlin.

rahimiv wrote:

The round [in his Mosin Nagant] keeps getting caught by the rim...

I just checked the magazine in my Mosin, and there's no way for that to happen.  The magazine is too short to allow a round to slide far enough forward for that to happen.  Have you tried different ammo?  Maybe, you've got some rounds that are loaded with the bullet set inward too far.  My Mosin Nagant works perfectly.  It's the only firearm I own at the moment that doesn't have some problem or another.z
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Ruger M77 Did not shoot for S**T!
I here the MKII is much better.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Century-receivered Garand.

For those who do not know, search this board's archives and other forums as well for the low down on this rifle-shaped paper weight.

In my own defense, I bought it before I knew what a flaming pile of dog shit it was.

Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a Remington Apache 77, It's a magazine fed Nylon 66 with a camo stock. This thing would jam almost every mag I fed it. Finally bought a Ruger 10/22, I can see why Remington quit selling them. Remington can't make a decent .22 auto loader to save their life.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:13:56 PM EDT
[#28]
The Carbon 15. It is a nice rifle to have. But the bolt crack after 1500 rounds. Had to shipped the entire firearm back to them. Couldn't I just order the bolt from them. At least, I did not pay a high price for it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Century-receivered Garand.

i had an australian lithgow M1 clone. it LOOKED nice, until i fired it and the front sight/gas assembly blew up on the first shit, oops i MEANT shot.. i was lucky to not be injured.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Ruger Mini-14
traded it to guy in my platoon (ha-ha-ha) who was getting out.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:57:54 PM EDT
[#31]
i had a .22 that looked like a m1 carbine..that's why i bought it..the cheap 4x scope sucked, the upper handgauard was loose and wouldn't tighten, and it jammed every couple rounds.  don't remember how much i sold it for..POS!
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Hands down the worst pos i have owned is a Olympic Arms m4gery. Snapped the bolt in half, broke the bolt catch off, finish discolored on the barrel, loose muzzle break, non-standard flattop rail that would not accept bushmaster flattop sites without modification.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 10:19:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Tec-9 Hands down the BIGGEST POS that I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#35]
First Run Para Ord. P-10. Damn thing wouldn't feed even after two trips to the factory. You'd think that a pistol designed as a carry gun would have a little more thought put into it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Cobray M11 9mm (semi version).  This thing couldn't get through a magazine without ejecting every pin and spring from the receiver.  The barrel bulged and the chamber burst after 1000rnds (luckily, new barrels were only $19).  Don't get me started on the grip.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 11:24:05 AM EDT
[#37]
KG-99 predecessor of the TEC-9s, started life as junk and their still junk, no matter what they call'em.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Armscor ak-22. My first gun, I bought it when I was 18. Stupid!
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#39]
A Mossberg 9200 semi-auto shotgun.  Bought it with the rifled slug barrel for deer hunting.  Never failed- always gave a stovepipe jam of the 1st empty and jammed the second shell into it- Locked up tight.  3 trips to Mossberg did not correct the problem.  My dealer says my gun was the unusual case- I don't think so.  Needless to say the gun was traded very quickly.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Remington Viper !
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#41]
I cringe when I think of it, but a friend of mine had a Hi-point carbine that sucked bigtime.  I ask him what went through his head when he bought it, and he can never come up with answer.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#42]
REMINGTON VIPER 22 and the 597 JUNK they wont feed with the clips both rifles were accurate but worthless
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
A Mossberg 9200 semi-auto shotgun.    

no shit.  i had the same problem with the same gun.  i also had a mossgerg 500 (first shotgun)that thing is still a POS, but i still love it.  my parents bought it used for me for my 16th birthday, it's so special because i didn't expect it. we were DIRT poor.  sometimes even the biggest piece of crap is endearing in some way due to the circumstances. it's strange now that i can afford to spend 5,000.00 a pop on a firearm i still love that piece o' shit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#44]
I cant believe no one has the balls to admit that they wasted money on a Jennings...Or maybe Im the only idiot here...Hmmmmm

Ranger Out
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Olympic Arms PCR (Pretty Crappy Rifle)

I especially liked the match accurized "kid did it in shop-class" hacksaw crown on the barrel, cast front sight, friggin' LEGO pistol grip and QUALITY (?) internals.  Sweeeeeeeeeeet!
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Charter Arms AR-7 survival rifle.  Jammed repeatedly and you couldn't hit anthing with it. If you're in a survival situation, you're better off just throwing rocks at your prey.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I cant believe no one has the balls to admit that they wasted money on a Jennings...Or maybe Im the only idiot here...Hmmmmm

Ranger Out

hey, i thought i was the only one besides broke ass gang bangers that had a jennings. i had a 22, talk about crap. but then again, less than $100, what did i expect?

ian
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#48]
A Dan Wession 445 Super Mag, UPS stock went up 20% just from me sending it back and forth to the factory why did you guys make me remember that pile of sh*t
                  Bluemax
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Llama 45 acp 1911 knock off.  With that POS i would be surprised if I didn't have a jam every mag.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#50]
A Ruger mini-14. Damn thing would pattern no better than about 6 inches at 100yds, using a scope.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top