Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2002 9:06:08 PM EDT
I was talking with some one the other day who should be some what of an authority on small arms the other day and he said somthing interesting. he said that the m1 garand was around during wwI. don't get me wrong I personally don't believe him for a minute, but I am foulable, so when was it invented?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe it was developed in 1930 and came into service in 1932. Or maybe it was developed in 1932, I may be wrong. But it was around then.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't believe it was invented as much as created.  After all, you wouldn't ask the question, "did God invent man?"  No, you'd say "did God create man."z
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Guns & Ammo says (may,2001) "adopted into service in 1936 after a rather torturous birthing process."  designer is John C. Garand.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#4]
The M1 was officially adopted on January 9, 1936.  As to when the rifle entered development, that's debatable.  John Garand was transfered to Springfield Armory in 1919, and began designing rifles.  Many were devloped, including the 'Semi-Automatic Rifle, .30, T1E2,' which was redesignated 'Semi-Automatic Rifle, .30, M1' in mid-1933.  If you want more info on this, you can run a search on the web.  There's quite a bit of info on this subject.

Randy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top