Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2002 4:04:53 PM EDT
On my 870 shotgun I want to put a top folding pistol grip stock, and a two round magazine extension on. The barrel is 18".
In my BATF green book it states the minimum length for a rifle or shotgun is 26". Is this the open position or closed on shotguns?
Also being that it is a manually operated shotgun are their any Assault weapon restrictions?
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#1]
FEDERALLY, it's 26" with the stock fully extended.  

STATE-wise, I know that at least two states (California and Michigan) measure with the stock folded.

The assault weapons ban only applies to SEMI-AUTOMATICS.

Hope this helps!  
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you'll find that on the 870 and any other domestic shotgun that the length of the barrel and receiver meets the 26" rule either by themselves or with a simple pistol grip attached.  The last thing they want to do is end up in a bunch of legal trouble for manufacturing unregistered short-barrelled shotguns.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Careful, I think the rules are different for a semiauto shotgun, in regards to pistol grips and extended magazine tubes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Careful, I think the rules are different for a semiauto shotgun, in regards to pistol grips and extended magazine tubes.

They are.... but an 870 is a pump action.

On Semi-Auto's you can have EITHER: A pistol grip and tube that holds no more than 5 rounds OR you can have a straight stock with as big of a tube as you like. But not both.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it really?  ok I'll just shut up now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top