Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2002 12:00:50 PM EDT
U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services

Number of physicians in the US: 700,000.
Accidental deaths caused by physicians per
year: 120,000.
Accidental deaths per physician.... 0.171
Number of gun owners in the US: 80,000,000.
Number of accidental gun deaths per year (all
age groups): 1,500.
Accidental deaths per gun owner: 0.0000188

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000
times more dangerous
than gun owners.

"FACT: Not everyone has a gun, but everyone has
at least one Doctor."
Please alert your friends to this alarming
threat. We must ban doctors
before this gets out of hand.

As a Public Health Measure I have withheld the
statistics on Lawyers
for fear that the shock could cause people to
seek medical aid.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#1]
On the subject of Doctors and guns - My doctor advised me to take long walks. When I mentioned that wild dog packs and rattlers seemed to be holding conventions near my home, he simply replied "Take long walks with a shotgun."
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services

Accidental deaths caused by physicians per
year: 120,000.
Accidental deaths per physician.... 0.171

This statement is NOT accurate.  The webpage of the US Health and Human services reports:
"As the Institute of Medicine pointed out: At least 44,000 deaths occur every because of preventable medical errors."

That is total medical errors, and not errors made by doctors alone.  I appreciate your defense of firearm ownership, but to claim doctors in America are statistically more dangerous than the employment of firearms each year is false and unfair.  In addition, the vast majority of professionals within the area of healthcare agree that the bureaucratic estimates on this issue are actually grossly overestimated.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn-my doctor likes handguns and is a hunting buddy! I guess that makes him a double death!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#4]
44,000 or 120,000; either way doctors are more dangerous.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#5]
We just had a young new intern join our club.  He has only been a member for about 2 months.. He inherited 6 handguns including a Colt Gold cup..

He just picked up a Colt HBAR Delta Elite AR on the weekend....only $900 Canadian...

Now he wants to start shooting 3 gun!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 12:33:49 AM EDT
[#6]
My dentist has a Bushmaster.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top