Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2002 8:00:41 AM EDT
Does anyone here have experience with the Walther P99?  I just saw this pistol the other day, and it looks pretty cool.  I haven't fired one though.  I've heard talk here about all sorts of pistols, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say antything about the P99.

My second question is, are P99's still sold new in the US, or are we only going to see the SW99 (which I think is atrocious).
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I've owned 2, still have one, wish I didn't sell the one I did.  Very, very accurate, reliable, and great shooters...
and I'm a 1911 bigot....

I've also hears others say the same thing...but I'm sure there are folks that didn't like them.

Bottom line is...the gun has to feel good to you
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Do a search for P99's on AR15.com. There have been several threads.
You can also search on www.thefiringline.com/forums/index.php.
There have been a lot of threads on the Walther P99 over there.

I just ordered a P99 last week from www.waltherusa.net
It hasn't come in yet. Hopefully, later this week. I little more expensive, but I'm assured of an all German made pistol. There are some Walther P99's on the American market that have S&W parts.
My advice. Do the searches here and on The Firing Line and read all the threads before you order.
Limit your searches to just titles to filter out all the extraneous threads.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Does anyone here have experience with the Walther P99?  I just saw this pistol the other day, and it looks pretty cool.  I haven't fired one though.  I've heard talk here about all sorts of pistols, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say antything about the P99.

Yes, I've owned one for about four months now. It was the look factor that first got me to check the P99 out....I liked the design and they seemed to consider how the gun feels in the hand as important. I've found it to be a very comfortable to hold, and to shoot. They incorporated a removable backstrap in the grip to allow for different hand sizes, which for me is a godsend (best I can say is I use a 4-5/8 tennis grip with a heat sleeve).

Most people who try them seem to develop an attachment to it. It is a VERY good shooter, and way more accurate than I am.

My second question is, are P99's still sold new in the US, or are we only going to see the SW99 (which I think is atrocious).

Yes, they are still sold new. The Firing Line will have pics of the German proofmarks you should look for. If you wish to purchase one, the 9mm model should not be of an issue. If it is a .40cal, just make sure the proofmarks are on the slide, and you should be fine.

To do a quick summary, when the P99 started coming on to the market, there was a shortage of parts, and about 3-4,000 slides were made in the US, I believe by Smith. Most of these developed problems with slide-locking in the middle of a mag. IIRC it was generally confined to the .40cal model, and not the 9mm.

The SW99 is what I'd consider a Smith variation on the P99 design. They had the original design specs from walther, and cranked them out, but whatever they did, the SW99 was generally NOT up to the standards of a real P99. Not that it's a 'bad' pistol....but they seem to be much more prone to problems.

Then there was the SW99NJ, special design for the New Jersey State Police. The NJSP commissioned it, but kept requesting certain design changes to fit their criteria, and the resulting hulk of metal would need a stretch to even be defined as a firearm (firearms are supposed to fire, right?).
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Capro,
You should check out the handgun forum here as well. I believe there was some mention of it over there. I remember reading that there was going to be a compact version, and possibly a .45 acp version. Anyone hear anything about that?
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#5]
i got a P99QA .40 for Yule and i love it. very very accurate pistol, and it looks awsome also. comes with 3 backstraps to adjust the grip size...has adjustable rear sight, and comes with 3 different size front sight posts to change the elevation...and like everyone says make sure it has the ULM proofmarks from Germany.ive put a few hundred rounds through it with no probs. a fine 21st century firearm
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Can anyone explain to me what the Quick-Action trigger is.  I understand how DA/SA and DAO work, but what exactly is QA?  I've read a little about but I don't think I understand.  I've seen it described as "like a glock trigger" but I don't really know what a glock trigger is like.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Capro,www.fsguns.com has Walther's on sale for a limited time. Depending on the model $529-$539,(I think) and an incredible $489 for the .40 cal in OD green.

And I just bought a .40 in OD green last week for $549. GGRRRR!!

Go to the specials/what's new page.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Walther did also just drop the price on the P99.  I just paid $448 at the show in Houston last weekend.  My buddy has one and it has been a great gun.  All 9mm are made in Germany, so of the .40 do have SW slides, as noted, avoid these.  You can find pic of the marks over at thefiringline, look b4 you buy.  

Happy Shooting!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#9]
someone asked what the QA was...The pistol P99 QA is a P99 with a new quick action trigger. This trigger system required by some law enforcement agencies ensures constant trigger performance from the first to the last shot. The P99 QA is ready to fire immediately after retraction of the slide although four
independently operating safeties guarentee maximum safety for the user.

With the QA-trigger, the striker is in a precocked position (approx. 0,24”), and further pulling of the trigger results in additional cocking of approx. 1/8” before discharge.
Trigger travel is approx. 0,24” with trigger pull of approx. 6.5 lbs.
The P99 QA features a specially designed smaller decocking lever ensuring safe decocking for disassembly or safe storage. Otherwise, the P99 QA features all the advantages of the standard P99.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I've shot a P-99 in 9mm & was pleasantly surprised at its accuracy. The only thing I didn't like was that !@#$%^&! bump in the middle of the trigger guard. It rubs my finger raw!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top