Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2002 12:32:14 AM EDT
A local dealer has a FAL he wants to sell for $425.  It has a thumbhole stock on the rear and a bipod style stock on the front (with bipod)  The cocking handle folds against the reciever.  It also has the carry handle.  The barrel does not have any type of muzzle device and is Not threaded.  

I should have looked closer at this rifle as I am really interested in purchasing it.  Given the information above..does anyone know what this is and what it is worth?  He did state something about Imbel, but I can't remember if the receiver said it or not.

The rifle appears to be in really great shape.  OH, it is metric..and he said he would throw in two mags with it.

Thanks in advance
medcop
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 3:13:32 AM EDT
[#1]
seems like a fair price.

Imbel is good quality stuff

could be a G1  (definetly a G1 if there is a square lug on the bbl about 5 inches from the muzzle) (but I'm kinda new with the fal, could be something else)

mags run about $8/ea

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 3:29:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the barrel was just plain all the way.

medcop
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 3:41:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like an Imbel copy of your plain Jane FAL. Personally I'm no big fan of those thumbhole stocks. But based on your info it sounds like a fair deal.
A genuine FN Para FAL e.g. would go for about $1,125 overhere. The L1A1 somewhere around $378.

C-2-6
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 3:57:39 AM EDT
[#4]
You can easily buy the replacement US parts for you to put on the pistol grip. If the one you are looking at is on an Imbel then you are getting a good deal. The price is still within reason for an FAL though.
www.l1a1.com/
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#5]
If it's an Imbel receiver, and the finish on the rest of the gun isn't to bad I'd say go for it.

And as stated before, you can easily put a pistol grip and buttstock on it legaly.

As a matter of fact, I've got a spare US made pistol grip and stock. So if you decide to get it and want to change the stock email me and we can hook up and I'll let you check it out. I'd let it go pretty cheap, or on trade, and it would save you shipping charges.

BTW, who are you thinking about getting it from? Don't worry, I'm not trying to jump in on your deal, just curious.

Good luck either way!
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy it if it's an IMBEL receiver, or Entreprise, or DSA.  Likely it won't be the latter two though.  If it's a Century or Hesse marked receiver, don't do it unless you're feeling adventurous and enjoy tinkering.

Even if the rest of the rifle looks nasty, don't be scared away.  With the prices of good StG58 parts kits these days, that is the least of your worries.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
A genuine FN Para FAL e.g. would go for about $1,125 overhere. The L1A1 somewhere around $378.

C-2-6

Hey Charlie...

If you don't mind, could you point me in the direction of an $1100.00 FN Para FAL? I'll take 3 at that price.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#9]
It sounds to me like a Century Arms L1A1 (inch pattern) at that price, although the L1A1's don't come with the metal forend with integral folding bipod.  That forend sounds like Austria STG58 (metric pattern).  I'm pretty sure that the folding cocking handle only came on British, Indian, and Canadian inch-pattern FALs.  I'd check the fit of metric mags very carefully, and if they wobble, you've got an inch-pattern lower.  Inch-pattern mags are at least twice the cost of metric mags.  I'd research this rifle to be sure what I'm getting.  Good luck!

FAL.com is a good information source and so is Arizona Response Systems for FAL info.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#10]
The folding charging handle is an inch pattern feature (L1A1 ?). I don't think Imbel recievers are cut for this feature. Of course, it could have been modified to accomodate it.
The only stock non-threaded barrel I know of is the G1, which has a lug for a detachable flash hider.
Sounds like a "roll yer own" rifle. Probably worth the price if the overall condition is good.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The folding charging handle is an inch pattern feature (L1A1 ?). I don't think Imbel recievers are cut for this feature....

You can buy a US made Metric folding charging handle.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Just an FYI, FAC sells a folding charging handle for metric receivers.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I am pretty sure that it is metric.  

Thanks for the info.

medcop
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top