Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2002 6:56:32 PM EDT
Are Bushmaster and Colt the only companys who do this?  If not, who else?  I'm looking on a possible source for an upcoming project.

Thanks

Saleen
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Armalite also carries some chrome lined barrels.

Are you planning on loaning your rifle to someone who doesn't know how to clean it or maybe go wading through a swamp? Those are the only reasons I can think of preferring a chromed bore.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Longer lasting bore.  Better function/reliability by chrome's lubricating capabilities by having a chrome lined chamber.  All my future barrels will either be stainless, or chrome lined steel.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Chrome barrels suck! If you try to hit anything at long range... but if you want a barrel that requires no maintenance and will survie salt water it is the way to go....As a target shooter I hate them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#4]
That is not entirely true.  The FN police sniper rifle is, you guessed it, chrome lined.

Chrome lined bbl's can be made to not affect accuracy as much, but it has to do with the quality and way that the chrome is applied, and then procedures done to the bore afterward.  Typical milspec chrome lined bores do not have to be sniper quality target shooters, so they dont go the expense.

Any poorly made stainless or un-lined bbl can be FAR worse than a well made chrome lined one.

You wont see chrome lining much on these target rifles as often, because, on a target rifle, with a match chamber, it simply isn't as needed, as it would be on a "social" rifle.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:49:53 PM EDT
[#5]
FalArAK, I agree but you will be very hard pressed to find an ar barrel with a chrome lined bore like you describe. and never from the mass produced stuff that is common. There is a reason that kreigger , obermyer, hart, blackstar...ect do not use chrome, and it is not because chrome is better....pat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top