Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2002 10:21:57 PM EDT
Remington makes some bold claims (in American Rifleman) on their new 597 .22LR rifle

"The Remington Model 597.  The Most Accurate .22 in existence"
&
"In fact it's the most-accurate most-advanced .22 ever built (and the first breakthrough in .22 technology in 35 years)."

if this is true then i am going out and buying one tomorrow...but i dont want to buy it and find that this is just sales propaganda..

i am a long time remington customer and have always been very happy with their products and service.
but i dont want to be mislead

do  any of you won one and will hold its own with a fine bolt action rifle many of which shoot sub MOA??
that is what they are claiming unless i am missing something!!

Anyone know where to get a deal on the stainless barreled, laminated stock version #597 LSS
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#1]
My good friend has a heavy bbl and a standard version. Both are POS. They always jam up on different ammo. Do yourself a favor and get a Ruger 10/22. ive got 2 and they are great. The heavy bbl can be found for 299 if you shop around. You can build a rifle like that for cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#2]

The Most Accurate .22 in existence

God Damn! That's a bold statement! Usually a company will use a superlative without comparing their product to any other. But, this statement leaves nothing to the imagination. Ballsy!
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got the 597 std. model.
It worked without a hitch for a few hundred rounds and then started the jamming.
I've only cleaned the bbl. out a couple of times.

The BEST NEWS I've heard is this:
Remington has re-engineered the 10-rd. magazines to METAL vs. plastic/polymer.
It is supposed to cure the feeding problems.
I don't have any of the metal mags yet, but, I'll be getting some to try out.
I like the 597 better than my Ruger 10/22 (which isn't a perfect little rifle, no matter what anybody says).  The 10/22 has jammed big time before, so I don't give it the 100%, either.

The 597 is a great rifle.  The original magazines suck.
I'm not getting rid of the gun.  I'm getting new mags for it!
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 5:26:38 AM EDT
[#4]
My .22lr 597 loves Rem Golden Bullets, and will give me 1" ragged groups after 30 shots with only shooter-induced flyers (such as when I'm shooting right when the guy next to me touches off that damn .338). Non-hollowpoints seem to work better, as HPs will occasionally hang up on the ramp, but thats like 1 in 40 or so shots, so its not really an issue.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 5:51:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a Remington 597SS and could outshoot it with a Marlin 880SS bolt-action. I personally have not seen an autoloader that could compete with a bolt-action.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I figured that was a bold staement  below is an email i sent to remington..will also post their response..well see if they back up this claim!!

Subj:  597 moa specs
Date:  1/25/02
To:  [email protected]

I am sitting here looking at an ad for your .22 597 rifle from American Rifleman

In this article you claim the 597 to be:

"The Remington Model 597.  The Most Accurate .22 in existence"

"In fact it's the most-accurate most-advanced .22 ever built (and the first breakthrough in .22 technology in 35 years)."

if this is true then i am going out and buying one tomorrow...but i dont want to buy it and find that this is just sales propaganda..

i am a long time remington customer and have always been very happy with your products and service.
but i dont want to be mislead

are you saying this auto will hold its own with a fine bolt action rifle many of which shoot sub MOA??

if mine does not shoot as claimed, will you take it back and reimburse me??
i.e. how strongly do you stand behind that rather bold statement???

Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:46:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#8]
http://597.iwarp.com/                        try this site out.They have afew ideas on how to solve the jamming problems.I have a heavy barrel,lam.stock sighted in at 100 yards.Jams when it gets cold,doesn't seem to cycle back enough to extract
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top