Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2002 3:18:23 PM EDT
I got my mini 14 today it looks pretty cool in Stainless and synthetic stock the whole attitude of the gun changes when I put in my 40round mag it looks real bad-ass. Well hope it works I put the safety on and loaded the mag and racked the slide back and fourth and it feed all the rounds so I think the mag works?? Just wanted to tell you guys I finally got a real rifle I can't wait to test the power of the 223!
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#1]
?
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I got my mini 14 today it looks pretty cool in Stainless and synthetic stock the whole attitude of the gun changes when I put in my 40round mag it looks real bad-ass.quote]
looks can be deceiving
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't let these guys be too hard on you.  I used to have a mini-14, and it was actually a good one.  The problem with these are that they are hit and miss as far as accuracy/reliability go.  The important thing is that you are shooting now.

I like the way they look too, but I can't say I would buy another one.

If you truly feel the need to test how your rifle feeds, PLEASE go buy dummy rounds before you shoot a hole in your wall, computer monitor, your roof, your neighbor, or your friend.  Keep it safe.

Link Posted: 1/23/2002 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome!

I did the same thing, actually.

My first .223 was a mini-14, however if you pursue shooting much further you will quickly outgrow it (I promptly bought 2 ARs, a 16" open sight by Oly and a 24" varminter from bushmaster).

Be careful!  Pretty soon you start to feel like you cant own enough guns...

I still have mine, however, and wont sell it.  It's just perfect for my daughter to use deer hunting here in Texas.

-allan
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#6]
My first 223 was a stainless mini 14 ranch rifle with the synthetic stock. I agree it does look cool with a 40 round mag hanging from it but I was sure disappointed with the 6" groups it was shooting.

After a few months I sold it and bought an AR15 and now am getting 1-2" groups and nothing beats an AR for coolness.

If you live in Kalifornia keep it and put a decent barrel on it otherwise save up for a real weapon.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#7]
You figured out my dark secret glock 9... I live in kalifornia, and boy do we have some bullshit laws! like every gun has to be sold with a special trigger lock built for that gun! even though ruger gives you a cable lock that is no good in the dumbo-crats eyes.

I always wanted a AR but never had enough cash and it became a assualt weapon, so now I am shit out of luck
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a Blue & Wood Mini 14 and a Stainless Synthetic Ranch rifle.

They were both totally reliable but i prefer the asthetics of the blue and wood Mini. So i sold the Ranch rifle.

Keep your eyes open for Thermold mags. They flawless and will look good with your rifle too.

PMI aka Precision Magazines are also flawless performers.

To clean my Mini-14 I just brush off the bolt face and run a Bore snake through the BRl. I only diassemble every couple thousand rounds.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#9]
You should look into the M1A as well. I think it's still California legal.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:32:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Waaaayyy Back in the back of the safe I have a Mini 14, bought way back, from some pawnbroker for $285.00.

It wears a Choate Machine Tool offhand pistol grip stock (virtualy indestuctible) and ghost ring sights bought out of Brownells.

While not my favorite, you can never have to many rifles that flip the .223 bean. It shoots reliably, is light weight, and I have a pile of Ruger factory 30 round pre bans. So it will probably stay around my collection for the duration.

Not the prettiest girl in the bar...but one of the regulars, none the less.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top