Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2002 2:09:04 PM EDT
Two questions...

Does Colt still make handguards that are publicly available?  I like the handguards on my SP2 MUCH better than those on my new M4 Bushy upper.  I'm curious if the Colt handguards are still being made and are there any that will fit on a Bushy M4?

also, are the handguards on a Bushmaster 16" Shorty and the M4 the same size?  Is it only the barrel contour that's really different?
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know if Colt is still producing them, but Gunsmoke for one has them. I think for $43.00.
Yes the will fit on your bushy. I bought my Colt M4 handguards from Gunsmoke last year for my 16" M4 bushmaster. 16" shorty and M4 either, 14.5" or 16" have the same sight radius from handguard cap at the front sight to the delta ring.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you, FB.

Do you know if they have the smoothe finish on them?  That's what I hate about the Bushy handguards...
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know what smooth is. But I can tell you my CAR bushy handguards have a texture to them. When I changed out to the Colt M4 guards the finish seems smoother. I will say this, the M4 handguards are much thicker plastic, which I belive is fiberglass reinforced. They are bigger in diameter and have double heat sheilds.
These pics of my Colt M4 handguards will let you judge for yourself.

I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks FB!

That answers my question.  I wasn't sure if the newer Colt HG's still had the smoother texture.  The bushy ones just feel cheap compared to the Colt's.  I think I'm gonna order some.  

Do you know if they are the exact same diameter?
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:48:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 3:16:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know about all Colt handguards, but the ones that came on my 9mm Colt upper (subgun) are different from the ones that have come on my Bushmasters.  They are made of a thicker plastic that feels much sturdier than the Bushmaster.  This may no longer be true, as I haven't bought a new rifle in several years.  I'm talking about the smaller, original handguards, not the M4's.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks FB!

Do you know if they are the exact same diameter?

If you are asking if Colt M4 handguards are the same diameter as the Bushy shorty handguards the answer is no, as I stated in the previous post.
As Troy pointed out they are taller then they are wider compared to standard shorty C.A.R handguards.
Once you put on the Colt M4 handguards you will not want any but the M4 handguards on any shorty you own.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Try J&T or SAW for original Colt Carbine handguards. Colt made the guards in 2 finishes. One is shiny(1967-85) the other is a rougher matte type finish(1985 to present)similiar to the M4 double handguards in texture. Bushmaster Carbine handguards have never been MilSpec. All of the Bushmaster M4's delivered to the US Military(1989-91) had the collapsible buttstocks, handguards, pistol grips and trigger guards replaced with Colt parts prior to being fielded.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 5:43:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The handguards that come on Colt's carbines (except for the M4s) are identical to those that come on Bushmasters.  A big part of the reason is because they come from the same subcontractor.

-Troy

Absolutely not.  The handguards on Bushmasters are cheap immitations.  They fit poorly and creak back and forth.  I like Bushmaster, but Colt's horsey parts are usually best.

-Dave
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 6:22:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Next you guys are going to say that Colt makes the best mags too.

I will say that the M4 gaurds are different. I picked up a like new set at the last show for $12. They are harder to get used to in the hand but they are still fit well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I have large hands, and found the M4 handguards to fit me much better. So far the best $40 I've spent on my carbine.

Cheers,
Chris

(edited to add photo)

Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top