Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2002 11:19:43 AM EDT
I have a 92FS that I am interested in smoothing up a bit.  I would like to try some things myself as opposed to shipping it away.  What simple additions can a homesmith do to improve things.  I'd like to lighten and smooth the DA pull a bit, generally am looking to use it in place of my glock19.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#1]
This is something I would like to know also.  Have a Beretta 96 and a 92 on the way.  Their big downfall is the hard DA trigger pull.  Any info is greatly appreciated.  BTW can anyone tell me what kind of accuracy I can expect from these 2?
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Stick with the glock... The only thing that really can be done is spring work and polishing of the internals. Its a Beretta Not a 1911.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]
You can improve the double action trigger pull by 100% if you install a reduced power hammer spring. You can get the spring from Wolff or Ed Brown, I believe. I installed one in mine based on the advice of a former Beretta factory trainer. He did his the same way. I have had no problems with light hammer strikes.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#4]
BillG34 is right. The mainspring is the key. Installed a mainspring off a D model (double action only)in my 92FS and it made all the difference in the world. 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I have owned my 92FS since about '94.  Actually, it was my first firearm.  You can expect very good accuracy and 100% reliability under normal circumstances.  I don't know if it will win a bench rest match or continue to function if frozen in mud and covered in sand or anything, but I have enjoyed owning mine very much.  The only drawback I have is that it is a bit on the largish size for me and there is no way that I could carry it concealed.  At least not in Florida.

Enjoy.

p.s.  See everyone at the convention.  I'm bringing my wife as well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#6]
As has already been stated, the hammer mainspring is the key.  Standard factory weight for the FS is 20#... the 'D' spring weight is 18#.  The change will make a world of difference in trigger pull, primer ignition should still be 100%.  To complete the job add the Wolff 92 Trigger Conversion Unit... trigger return will be crisper and more consistant.  The Beretta stock trigger spring is a sometimes broken spring, the Conversion replaces it with a much improved design...

Wolff Gunsprings
www.gunsprings.com

Beretta-L website... info on springs, etc.
beretta.squawk.com/

Beretta M9 9mm Pistol (M92) TM 90-1005-317-23&P
www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#7]
well, it will take a little light mud, but sand is definately a stopper, but only when it gets in the chamber, the sand stops the round from completely chambering in the weapon, and what a pisser when that happens, ask me how i know...., too small a weapon to put a forward assist on, but thats life, lol
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys.  Especially DarkStar for the links.  I've had it since the early 90's, havn't shot it very much.  I think the hi-caps I originally bought with it are worth more than the gun now!  Love the Glock, but lookin' for a little variety I guess.  BTW, how difficult to replace the springs?

Thanks

Jim  
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#9]
A 92FS was my first pistol also!  It is a VERY reliable pistol, but not the most accurate in the world.  I put some Hogue rubber grips w/finger grooves on it, and it made a world of difference in the feel of it.  The grips really helped with my sight alignment!!!  
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I hate to sound like a broken record, but if you really want to improve your Beretta you need to talk to Ernest.  Despite what naysayers (Glo1) may say about it, there are several things that can be done to improve the trigger.

www.langdontactical.com
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a used 92FS a couple of years back after badmouthing them when the military switched over. I was totally surprised at the accuracy I got out of it when shooting cheap 9mm. I did have my gunsmith polish up the trigger & make it a lot smoother. It was well worth the $65 or so to have it done. As the others say, the Wolfe spring replacement kit is a well spent $15 or so. Enjoy the gun.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the 92g and never really have used the double action. Every time I draw I cock the hammer. What I am looking for is if anyone has the lanyard loop mainspringcap and wants to trade for a flat one let me know. One nice thing about a Beretta it can be hand loaded one bullet at a time easily. I saw a guy at an IDPA match whose last mag blew apart and he finished the stage although his time was less than par.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:41:48 AM EDT
[#13]
You are supposed to be able to replace the 92FS mainspring with one from a 1911 to improve the pull.   I haven't done it but others who have reported success.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#14]
While we are still on the 92--Does anybody know of some grips that will get the grip smaller in your hand.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I just put some rubber Hogue grips with finger grooves on mine, and it feels sooooo much better!  Definately won't make the grip smaller though!  I can take some pics and post them, if you'd like.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Try a set of Hogue wrap-arounds.  It doesn't decease the diameter, but it gives you a much better grip.  I have med size hands and they work quite well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's what the Hogue Wrap-around grips look like on a 92FS.  I love 'em!  They make it feel so much better.

Link Posted: 1/24/2002 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#18]
The only thing you can do is buy Hi cap. mags. if you dont have any.
GG
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By Gun Guru:
The only thing you can do is buy Hi cap. mags. if you dont have any.
GG

I'm not sure exactly what it is that you're referring to, but you're wrong.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
As has already been stated, the hammer mainspring is the key.  Standard factory weight for the FS is 20#... the 'D' spring weight is 18#.  The change will make a world of difference in trigger pull, primer ignition should still be 100%.  

Wolff Gunsprings
www.gunsprings.com

Can you help me out?  I replaced the mainspring in my 96FS.  Since I am lightening the hammer effort does that also mean that I need to add a heavier recoil spring to take up any extra force caused by the lighter spring?
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Can you help me out?  I replaced the mainspring in my 96FS.  Since I am lightening the hammer effort does that also mean that I need to add a heavier recoil spring to take up any extra force caused by the lighter spring?

Depends on how light you went.  If you just went from the standard spring to the D model spring or equivalent then you have nothing to worry about.  If you went even lower then you still probably have nothing to worry about.  This gets debated somewhat often on the Beretta list so you may want to check there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Depends on how light you went.  If you just went from the standard spring to the D model spring or equivalent then you have nothing to worry about.  If you went even lower then you still probably have nothing to worry about.  This gets debated somewhat often on the Beretta list so you may want to check there.

Thanks for the info I will have to check that out.  I went with a 16lb spring in the 96 FS and it doesn't seem to be having a problem with firing the primers(will have to do final research at the range tommorow will post results).  The trigger pull with the 16 lb spring is beautiful.  Wish I had a trigger scale to post the results of the change but unfotunately don't.  I did manage to get ahold of customer service at Wolffe and also asked them about the recoil spring and in their experience they say the recoil spring change will not be needed.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a 92fs blackened Inox. It came with the finger grooved grips, only mine are grey. I agree with the fact that, though they aren't narrower, they make the grip much more comfortable for smaller hands.

As far as accuracy is concerned, I am extremely happy with it. It is much more accurate than my USP, but I wasn't impressed with the HK's accuracy at all, maybe its just me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top