Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2002 5:53:48 PM EDT
I stripped the frame on my Kimber following the Kuhnhausen books and video. When I reassemble the frame, the grip safety doesn't work completely. With the thumb safety off, the hammer at full cock and nothing touching the grip safety, I can pull the trigger until I get to what feels like the end then pull just a tad bit harder and the hammer flies forward. That last bit of pulling creates an audible click that I can also feel. I didn't do anything to the parts or frame while disassembling/reassembling it. Everything else seems to check out alright. I won't be firing it until I can get to the range, but I don't want to take it to the range if the safeties aren't working properly. Any ideas what's going on? Thanks
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#1]
... Did you f*ck with the mainspring?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#2]
You might hit more knowledgeable people over at www.1911forums.com

I would suggest you take it apart and put it back together again.  Pay attention to the 3-prong sear spring.  Make sure it isn't sprung. Make sure it is installed correctly.  It provides the “springiness” to the trigger, sear, and grip safety.

See www.m1911.org/
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#3]
In a 45 the grip safety has a stud that is supposed to block the trigger bow from moving rearward. When you grip the pistol the bottom of the grip safety moves forward, rotates the stud away from the trigger bow, allowing the trigger to move rearward.

The other guys have a good idea, if your sear spring and mainspring housing are not correctly assembled, its possible your grip safety is not being pushed full out at the bottom...just a guess though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I tell you what...this place is something else. No matter what time of day or night I've ever posted, I usually get an answer to a question real quick. Thanks. I am as sure as can be that the spring has not been altered - accidently or on purpose. That was one of my concerns. Another concern was the trigger bow, but again, I can't recall having anything happen there. Everything slips into place just fine when I reassemble. I will post a question over at 1911.com. I've already searched their board for earlier posts that might pertain to my situation but came up with nothing. One thing I need to do is to check each part out closely for cracks, bends etc., although I haven't seen anything upon cursory examination.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Pay attention to the 3-prong sear spring

... Yes, AKA the mainspring
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#6]
the mainspring is in the maingspring housing.

the 3 prong spring is the sear spring.

--HTH
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:07:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the exact same problem after disassembling my 1911 as well.

The problem was the 3-prong spring.

[NOTE: the main spring is in the housing at the bottom of the grip, near the mag well opening. Some are arched, some are smooth - it applies pressure to the link connected to the hammer]
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
the mainspring is in the maingspring housing.

the 3 prong spring is the sear spring.

--HTH

... I stand humbly corrected
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok since we are discussing 1911s I have a problem with mine.

On the last shot my Springfield NM1911 does not fire.  If I "bump" the bottom of mag and it will fire.  I use Chip Mccormick Mags.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Wsmac:  No offense, but are you sure it also didn’t have this problem before you disassembled it?  Just a guess, but you might have had a defective 1911 to begin with.

If it turns out the grip safety tab is a little too short, it can be repaired by peening it to make it a little longer.  Obviously this shouldn’t be considered until all else has failed.

Stormbridger:  Do you mean that you pull the trigger and the hammer doesn’t fall?  If so, does the trigger go all the way back like it normally does when you pull it?  Can you feel the trigger push against the sear?  Are you sure the slide is fully in battery when this happens?    
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#11]
199, NO OFFENSE?

Oh!
Well, none taken! I actually don't get offended very easily.
Yes, it is possible that I hadn't noticed this problem before. I have done the safety checks before but I'm not sure how much time has elapsed between checks. I had someone else email me about his experience along the same line, so I'll be checking into his suggestions. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ok since we are discussing 1911s I have a problem with mine.

On the last shot my Springfield NM1911 does not fire.  If I "bump" the bottom of mag and it will fire.  I use Chip Mccormick Mags.

Any ideas?

I think 199 has a good idea. Next time this happens, instead of bumping the mag, take a close look at the slide to see if it is fully forward. Try pushing the side forward and see if that also fixes it. You might try a different mag, borrow one from a friend if you need to. Are you using a large cap mag that extends below the grip? Maybe its over inserted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top