Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2002 11:00:14 AM EDT
I am planning on getting an M4 type semi-auto preban and would like to hear your input. Please rate the following AR-15 brands from best to worst:

Colt
Armalite
Bushmaster
American Spirit
Olympic Arms
Rock River
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a very opinionated subject.  Here are my picks of the companies you listed.

1. Armalite
2. Bushmaster
3. Colt
4. Rock River
5. Olympic Arms
6. American Spirit

I'm pretty sure most people will put Armalite, Bushmaster and Colt in the top 3 regardless of what order.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member - www.nra.org
GOA Life Member - www.gunowners.org
SAF Supporter - www.saf.org
SAS Supporter - www.sas-aim.org

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am planning on getting an M4 type semi-auto preban and would like to hear your input. Please rate the following AR-15 brands from best to worst:

Colt
Armalite
Bushmaster
American Spirit
Olympic Arms
Rock River

Colt's are great, but the variation can drive you nuts.  The variation can also turn you into a diehard collector.

Armalites are very good, but I don't think they were producing ARs before the '94 ban, so a pre-ban M4gery is out of the question.

Bushmasters are not as high in quality to the pre-ban Colt's or the Armalites in my opinion (just remember that opinions are like assholes).  Finish is downright ugly.  Fit is good, and QC is good, but the weapon shouldn't be freakin' purple.

No experience with ASA, but haven't heard many good things about them.

No first-hand experience with Oly either.  I've heard both good and bad things about Oly, but I would buy an Oly pre-ban receiver in a heartbeat if the price was right.

RRA produces great weapons from all I've heard and seen.  Finish is kinda ugly like the Bushmasters though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Rock River Arms/Bushy/Colt all ave advantages IMHO but I would get what ever brand/color/price you want they are for the most part all the same - squeze the trigger and a buller flies downrange.

ropes
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This is a very opinionated subject.  Here are my picks of the companies you listed.

1. Armalite
2. Bushmaster
3. Colt
4. Rock River
5. Olympic Arms
6. American Spirit

I'm pretty sure most people will put Armalite, Bushmaster and Colt in the top 3 regardless of what order.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member - www.nra.org
GOA Life Member - www.gunowners.org
SAF Supporter - www.saf.org
SAS Supporter - www.sas-aim.org

ditto
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#5]

This is a very opinionated subject. Here are my picks of the companies you listed.
1. Armalite
2. Bushmaster
3. Colt
4. Rock River
5. Olympic Arms
6. American Spirit

I agree except I'd put Rock River Arms above Colt.
Armalite usually has the nicest looking rifles as far as fit & finnish and are usually priced to reflect that fact. Bushmasters are usually the best buy price wise over the Armalites.
I have a RRA rifle that was purchased as part of the LEGP group purchase and it is 100% flawless. Every Colt I've bought had small imperfections that didn't effect the function of the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Go with Bushmaster first. IMO
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#7]
i'm in the minority cuz i like dpms.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Colt
Armalite
Bushmaster
American Spirit
Olympic Arms
Rock River

Well, take Rock River out of your list.  They make GREAT guns (I own one), but you're looking for a pre-ban, and there are NONE in existence.

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Armalite - Most likely to be the most expensive, but in this case you will get what you pay for.  Best warranty.  Top notch in every respect, and if not, they will make it so.

Rock River Arms - New kid on the block who is out to make a good name for themselves.  When I buy another AR-15, these guys are going to be on a very short list of desirable manufactures.

Bushmaster - Have had a few issues with purple finishes and barrel nut torque, but they have made good on their word and fixed the issue for the customers who sent their rifles in for repair.  In my opinion, the above issues should have been caught before the rifles left the factory.  And in all honesty, it has been quite some time since I have heard of anyone reporting these issues.  I believe they have fixed their minor QC issues and are producing a darn good rifle at this time.

The above 3 are exellent choices 99.9% of the time.  Find the best price for the features you want and get it.  You will not be disapointed.

Colt - Non standard parts and over priced.  They do have a following among the collectors though, and among those who are stuck on a name, but they are not on my list for a shooter or a SHTF day dream because of the parts issue.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#10]

I agree except I'd put Rock River Arms above Colt.

Well, there were no pre-ban RRA guns that I know of so you can't put them above Colt.

Are RRA barrels and chambers chrome lined?

I'd say a mil spec Colt or Bushmaster is the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Some good points above, there arn't any "pre-ban" ASA or Rock River or Armalite (there are Eagle Arms), so of the others I'd go Colt (Green Label) Bushmaster and then Olympic.

In "post-ban" I have a couple Bushmasters that are absolutely first rate. I had an Armalite AR-10 that was problem central, I would guess their AR15's would not share this trait. I think the Rock Rivers may be as good or better than anything out there. ASA is too new for me to judge other than two guys shot brand new ones at the last three gun IPSC match we had and they were not 100% at all, another guys AR10 was single shot LOL. My Bushy ran like a sewing machine. I have not seen anyone have a single problem from the post ban Colts at all.

my free 2¢

Bill

P.S. I may be wrong on the pre-ban Armalite, but I think they changed the name to Armalite after the ban. Whatever

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top