Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2002 9:33:45 AM EDT

Just saw this on yahoo news - it looks to me like a sound suppresor, is it?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, It's the standard SOPMOD sound suppressor for the M4
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Now if I understand correctly, It may make the rifle shoot a little more quite but the bullet is breaking the sound barrier there fore you will still get the sonic crack.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Now if I understand correctly, It may make the rifle shoot a little more quite but the bullet is breaking the sound barrier there fore you will still get the sonic crack.

This is true, mine sounds like a 22LR with Federal Eagle 55gr FMJBT.

www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/pcca890f60675649ae1a6eccfddb340bc/fe103bb6.jpg

I have a Gemtech M4-96D on my Colt M16-A1 M4 Commando.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#4]
You've got some fine weapons, my brother.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#5]
drfcolt,  That Gemtech of yours is a beauty, I seen one shot out of a Minimi with 200 rounds combat pak in full auto, the dare thing is indesturctable.  I have a bi lug suppressor on my M4 and I uses when I go shooting with my C3 friends.  It is nice to be in a free state.

I like the Gemtech a bit better since it mounts a lot quicker then the KAC suppressor. and the KAC is a lot heavier. The data suggest the KAC is quieter, but with my ear, I can't tell too much difference.  I do have to admit the KAC look real cool.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#6]
The sound suppressor is starting to get more use by military units, they have finally catched onto it´s potential.

In addition to the special operations units, MEU SOC operators have been seen using sound suppressors in Afganistan.

The terrain there is bare, so every device which can help concealment is a plus, the suppressor hides the muzzle flash and the blast in addition to the suppressing of sound.

The only drawback with selfloading and automatic weapons is the fouling of the weapon, depends on the type of suppressor and the amount of oil in the receiver etc...

Top Top