Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2002 11:33:06 AM EDT
Given a choice between a Bushmaster XR15 E2S for $750 and a Rock River standard A2, is there a good reason not to save $100 and buy the Rock River A2?

Both have the same 20" target barrel, the standard non-removable carry handle and both are new in the box post-ban weapons available in local gunshops.   I know Bushmaster is the "B" in the "ABC's" of AR15's but where does Rock River Arms fall?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Not in the ABCs.

Seriously. RRA is great for DIY projects and all but if you want to buy a new gun, the service alone is worth the extra $100 if you should ever need it.

Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Bushmaster!
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for the coiled snake.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want a toy or match rifle. get the RRA.

If you want something to depend you life on, get the Bushmaster, or older Colt.

The $100 more is worth the chrome lined mil-spec, super reliable, long lasting barrel.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

RRA are TOY ARs??? Damn...
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Wasn't the last LEGP a RRA rifle??
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

RRA are TOY ARs??? Damn...

I meant,  something to go out to the range and have fun with.
Sorry, I don't trust the non chrome lined bores.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Since several mentioned Colts, which were not in his original question, I will say buy nothing but ArmaLite.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I would've said to hang out at the RRA forum - but since they're not a supporter of this site, the forum has been locked.  Anyway, the only experience I had with anything RRA was with a brand new flattop upper that I bought off of one of the fabled suppliers of this board.  It was too wide, not milspec and I couldn't get my ARMS Swan sleeve over it.  The seller said to take a Dremel tool to the ARMS sleeve.... I don't think so.  Bushmaster all the way.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I say get an RRA. Beside the lack of chrome-lined barrel, it is an excellent rifle. Fit and finish is superb. It shoots great and accuracy with iron sights are great too. Can't beat an RRA. I have one, and I'm building another. I love them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#12]
So far, the only RRA experience I've had, is with their stripped lowers...
The fit and finish are second to none...
I've bought several of their lowers, and have several more on the way...
I've gotten them for myself and several buddies of mine too...
If you buy enough of them, you can get them REAL cheap...
Don't forget, these are FORGED lowers, NOT cast...

As far as Bushmaster is concerned, I've had mixed emotions about them...
Right now I have one of their XM15E2S 20" rifles...
This is the softest, smoothest shooting gun I own...
The action is so slippery smooth, you'd swear is was riding on ball bearings...
It's probably got 2000 rounds through it so far, and I can't remember EVER having a failure of ANY kind...
This gun was factory built, not home built...
If ever the SHTF, this would be the rifle I'd grab...

Negative points for Bushmaster is their parts...
I've bought several complete upper kits, and a few lower parts kits...
I've gotten some real BAD triggers, and the last two uppers I got, had to be sent back to BM for chamber work...
Got both back from BM in a prompt and timely fashion, but both STILL had WAY to tight'a chambers... (Rounds were getting stuck in chambers)
Got rid of them both shortly thereafter...
Funny thing is, every upper or rifle kit I've gotten from Sherluk Marketing at the gunshows, has worked fantastic...
I don't even know who makes them, but they seem to work better than the Bushmasters...

So to sum it up in a nutshell...

If you want to build your own reliable rifle, and save a ton of money, go with RRA stuff...
I'm a little "gun-shy" of BM parts now anymore...
If you want a reliable "factory built" rifle, I'd say it's a toss-up...
I'm definately not afraid of the RRA rifles, especially after seeing how nice their stripped lowers are...
Any gun I've built around a RRA lower, has worked great, and is 100% reliable...

I guess you could say I'm split 50/50...

Dragracer(Ilikethemboth)Art
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top