Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2002 8:57:53 AM EDT
I saw in an AP photo U.S. Marines sighting in electronically scoped M-14's w/o iron sights. I had thought all had been replaced by bolt action sniper rifles.

They also had white tubes on the end of the barrels, does anyone know what these are for.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Last I knew some M14's were still in the inventory of some units.  Do you have a link address or can you tell us where you saw the photo?
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the Marines have one M14 per squad.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Might want to take a look at this thread

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=83113

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#4]
The Marine squad member who has the M-14 is called the "Designated Marksman".  They do not work in a sniper role, per say.  I think the requirement is to be able to put 10 well aimed shots on targets out to 800m per minute.  I could be wrong, but the requirement reads something like that.  Anyway, I think it is an excellent idea.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I saw in an AP photo U.S. Marines sighting in electronically scoped M-14's w/o iron sights. I had thought all had been replaced by bolt action sniper rifles.
They also had white tubes on the end of the barrels, does anyone know what these are for.

My Marine Reserve unit still had M-14s as late as 1977 when I went on active duty. I know Seals wanted some sort of 308 rifle in their inventory a couple of years back & went to the M-14.
My guess on the white tube was some sort of camoflauge (sp?) given it is winter there now. But that's just a guess.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The Marine squad member who has the M-14 is called the "Designated Marksman".  They do not work in a sniper role, per say.  I think the requirement is to be able to put 10 well aimed shots on targets out to 800m per minute.  I could be wrong, but the requirement reads something like that.  Anyway, I think it is an excellent idea.

Especially in that environment.......
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I know that at the begenning of DS, the Marine Corp and the Seals requested a batch of new mags for the M14 to be used over there. So a new batch was cranked out by whoever it is that makes them.
The M14 is still in limited use in the Army as well.

This brings up a funny thought to me. I have an M14 w/t two USGI mags and I feel completely happy with that ammount. I have several other rifles that I only have about two or three mags for and don't feel lacking in the least.
So how come I feel the need for all these damn AR15 mags then?????? Same goes for multiply AR's, I have five of them and would jump at the chance to own another!!!!!
One each of everything else seems to suite me just fine though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#8]
For some time now specials forces (I forget which) have used the M25. It is a Springfield without iron sights and equipped with a muzzle break. Suposedly it is very acurate.

Could the white tube have been a sound suppressor?

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I know that at the begenning of DS, the Marine Corp and the Seals requested a batch of new mags for the M14 to be used over there. So a new batch was cranked out by whoever it is that makes them.
The M14 is still in limited use in the Army as well.

I believe checkmate industries of Wydanch New York has the current contract on those mags.  They also make mags for the m9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top