Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2001 3:57:08 PM EDT
Well, i took my rifle out for the first time last saturday and i was pretty suprised by its accuracy for a stock barrel... but what really angered me was the Butler Creek Magazines that i bought kept causing my rifle to jam. this is what would happen:

I would pull the slide back to chamber a round. When I pulled the trigger the round would fire but the shell would not eject and the magazine would load a second round at the same time. Conciquently i would have to pull the slide back and eject both fired and unfired round out. I am told that this happens because the Butler Creek Mags (hot lips) dont have some sort of secondary extractor on the lip of the mag.
Does anyone have any tips.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#1]
*Bump*

BTT
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Without being too scientific...how does the original 10 round rotary Ruger magazine work? True, by side by side comparison with the factory 10s and Eagle 30s, the Butlers seem to be lacking what appears to be a built in ejector, however all my 25 rounders function flawlessly in a 10-22. You say it extracts but not ejects or the fired shell stays in the chamber? Does it cycle live rounds? (full mag, safe direction, SAFETY ON?) Had an AMT copy of the 10-22 awhile back that would do the same thing and it turned out to be a missing extractor, a Ruger part dropped in its place and the gun still lives on. At a minimum, at least keep the chamber clean for a more positive extraction. All else fails, write or call Butler Creek?
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#3]
anothergene asked exactly what I was wondering. If it feeds reliabily out of the factory mag, you have your answer. Unforturnately, I have no advice about making the Butler Creek mag function, but there are a hell of a lot of 10/22 sites out there. You may be able to find some information by doing a search on the internet. I'll see what I can find and will post back if I find anything interesting.

I have to agree with you about the accuracy of the stock rifle. Mine is a stock carbine and it shoots better then I can shoot it. At least for now.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#4]
safety one butler creek loaded  if i put it in and pull the slide all rounds will chamber and eject flawlessly. But when taken to the range this is what happens. Load mag into gun, pull slide back and chamber live round, pull trigger, round fires but brass does not eject. At the same time a new round comes out of the mag and tries to load but the fired casing is still in there. uhh, 1 time the shell was jammed into the barrel and i had to take a short cleaning rod and push it out.

The gun was brand new and i had cleaned it when i bought it so i dont think it is anything to do with the rifle.

The factory rotary mag worked great. loaded and fed with out any problems.

I think I will end up buying factory mags only.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#6]
When i get back from my trip i'll take it apart and make sure i put the bolt assembly back together correctly. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#7]
When I pulled the trigger the round would fire but the shell would not eject

Sounds to me as if the ammunition your using may be under powered? My $.02
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I would try some different ammo. Mt 10/22T/TS  would not function worth a darn using Federal ammo. I've had much better luck with PMC Scoremaster
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:47:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Try installing a Voltquartsen extractor (sorry, I don't have a link handy).  I am told that it will make your 10/22 much more reliable across the board with different types of ammo and magazines.

Factory 10/22s are notorious for their failures to feed with wide varieties of ammo and magazines.  Try finding a combination of ammo and magazines that work for your particular 10/22, write it down, and stick with it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:49:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok, I found a link.  The company is Volquartsen, I spelled their name incorrectly above.

http://www.volquartsen.com/extractor.htm
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 2:31:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top