Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2001 2:09:01 PM EDT
Who should I buy from? I want to spend around $500. I know to stay away from Hesse. The reason I don't want to spend $800-$1000 for a FAL is that I don't believe in fancy FALs. What is the real reason for buying a $1000 FAL other than workmanship on the reciever. It's still a FAL.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Gee, I always thought the workmanship of the receiver was important.  Silly me.  "It's still a FAL" isn't much comfort if it doesn't work right.  The reason to buy a $1000 FAL is to get one made right the first time, with quality parts.  With a $500 FAL you might get lucky, you might not.  Not worth the risk, IMO.  I'd pay the money to get a DSA STG, or have Axez or ARS build you one.  You're assured of quality parts and assembly, and they'll fix anything that isn't right.  With the cheapo frankenstein guns, if it don't work you're generally stuck.  Quality control has been spotty enough with most of these that I wouldn't risk it.  A $1000 FAL isn't 'fancy', it's well-built and functional.  But it's your money!
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Who should I buy from? I want to spend around $500. I know to stay away from Hesse. The reason I don't want to spend $800-$1000 for a FAL is that I don't believe in fancy FALs. What is the real reason for buying a $1000 FAL other than workmanship on the reciever. It's still a FAL.

Your best buy is an Imbel 444. That being said, a Century with an Imbel receiver is your next best bet. If it doesn't work, at least there are people out there that will work on them to make them operate properly. That being said, I just got lucky with a Century STG58 Sporter on an Imbel receiver from S.O.G.  It had a few small cosmetic problems and the insude of the barrel looks like garbage, but it's a shooter !! I was banging down some 4" groups at 100 yds with it , and I've got 54 year old screwed up eyes that don't like iron sights. It is a real crap shoot with Century guns, but I have been hearing about more "good" ones lately. Maybe the Drunken Monkeys and Angry Beavers at Century are getting better at building these things. In the end, you pays your money, and you takes your chances !!!!

bowhuntr
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Who should I buy from?

"A friend, somone that has a FAL they'll sell for $500 and lives close enough for you to inspect and test-fire the weapon."

The reason I don't want to spend $800-$1000 for a FAL is that I don't believe in fancy FALs.  

The difference in the $500 FAL and the $800 FAL is the $800 FAL comes with higher quality and greater reliability not "Fancy."
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#4]
DSA
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Learn from my mistakess and forget FALS,they are third world P.O.S.s  go American, go AR and save yourself some heartache. AR-15's rock,

Nachoman
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Learn from my mistakess and forget FALS,they are third world P.O.S.s  go American, go AR and save yourself some heartache. AR-15's rock,

Nachoman

Spoken by one who hasn't gotten to shoot his FALs.   I feel for you.  

But I have to disagree with you on that 3rd world comment.  AR's are used by 3rd world countries as well.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#7]
freedom-fighter,
Its real easy in picking a receiver.  You have USA or Import.  If you use USA then you will use one less USA part when you build the rifle.  As for type, you have two choses, full or light'g cut(less weight).

Now the big question, If you post a location, then maybe someone locally would help you build the rifle.

Receiver is going to run you around $200.
Parts kit are from $120. to $250. If you go with a cheap kit, Add $100. for a new barrel.
USA parts and odds/ends are going to be $100.

I have built using DSA's, Imbel's,and Enterprise's.  To be truthfull, when It was all said and done, they all shot under 2MOA.  But, you have to start with a clean barrel and a fresh bolt or you will end up with trash.

If your looking to just buy a built rifle, then your best bet is to buy from DSA.  They will have a new barrel, and fresh parts.  Some parts may be take-offs, but if the Take-offs are bad, they go in the trash can or sold to others, but not in one of their rifles.

If you are planning to buy a built rifle for $500. then you will spend more in the long run just replacing worn out parts that never should had been used in the first place!!!

Go to WWW.fnfal.com  for more details on parts and builds.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 4:43:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Again I'll say it - the DSA Stg 58A "kit "gun for $800 is the BEST FAL out there for the $$$$.

It is ROCK solid. Functions flawlessly. Surprising accuracy. Excellent fit and finish.

I bought it ready to NOT like it. I only got it cuz their MAY come a day when I couldn't. Now, its among my favorite firearms.

To spend $500 on a FrankenFAL is, to me, a waste of money. Pennywise and pound foolish. Don't get "cheap" when buying firearms. You ONLY cheat yourself.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top