Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/17/2001 10:41:04 PM EDT
One month ago today my son who is a police officer too took a new recruit who has never fired a pistol before to the range to show him the basics of shooting and gun saftey.
 His best friend went with him. They made fun because he wore his vest and he told them you can't be too careful. After they shot some the new guy went home and my son and his friend went to his apt.
 My son had his Glock apart cleaning it and his friend who aparently had not cleared his pistol at the range pulled the trigger and the pistol was pointed at my son.
 My son took the bullet in the neck traveling downward hit his vertabre and the top of his left lung , exiting his lower left shoulder blade.  He still lies in critical condition at methodist hospital in Indanapolis paralysed(not sure of spelling).
 I just wanted to share his story and maybe keep it from happening to anyone who reads this.
No matter how much you train, shoot,practice gun saftey, What about the guy next to you . Even a friend.  Is he as saftey oriented as you?
 My Son found out the hard way. I know accidents happen, but this is one that shouldn't have. His friend has shot with him quite a few times over the last couple years and knew about gun saftey, but not this time and my son is paying a high price for his friends moment of ignorance.Thank You for reading this....Dave274

Link Posted: 12/17/2001 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Hotel Sierra!  My thoughts are with you and your son.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 10:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Dave...Your son and your family are in my prayers...
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:07:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to hear about your son.. I hope it all works out.

Ropes
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:43:22 AM EDT
[#4]
That is horrible, and "horrible" is inadequate to describe it.  What was wrong with this "friend"?

BTT everyone needs to read this, and fingers crossed for your son, I hope he pulls through OK.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:46:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#6]
God be with him
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:01:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Know one can really feel the pain that you are expericing right now, but our prayers go out to you and your family. As a LEO myself I know the dnagers that exist out there, and you are right. You can never be too careful, your life can change and be upside down in a split second. But that also applies to the general public as well.

Justice_Keeper
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:28:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Dave274-
I'm hoping that your son will recover fully - God be with him.

I shot IPSC for over 10 years, and went through the Range Officer training program during the first year of my involvement with the sport. I believe that the combined experience of shooting in matches, as well as RO'ing other shooters through the many courses of fire, many including movement from one shooting position to the next, done as quickly as possible to maximize the score, taught me more about gun safety than any other experiences I've had, before or since, in a lifetime spent around guns & shooters. I was conditioned to be extremely concious of muzzle position & direction, and carry that with me to this day. It's one reason I gave up pheasant hunting with large groups of shooters - many of them are from metropolitan areas from eastern Kansas, and just don't have the experience or situational awareness to be safe handling shotguns. I can't count the times I found myself looking down the muzzle of someone's 12ga. shotgun in the field, and it bothered me enough to just stay the hell away from these guys. It's a damned shame your son's dept. didn't invest in some of the sort of training that's available to those of us in the civilian sector who compete with handguns - if they had, accidents like the one you described would never happen.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:37:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Very tragic and a sad situation. I am sorry to hear that your son is the victim of ignorance. I pray that all will turn out for good in some fashion for your son and family.

As tragic as this is, it's still no reason to take away MY rights to KABA. I sincerely hope you didn't register here as a member to try to swoon people away from wanting to defend their 2nd Amendment rights with an emotional situation like yours.

The fact is... accidents happen. More troops were killed in vehicle accidents during desert storm than combatant casualties. More people are killed each day in motor vehicle accidents than gun accidents and violent crime combined. How come people aren't pushing to ban internal combustion engines?

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:15:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I am very thankful that I learned my lesson at an early age. I was 13 y/o then, home alone and I managed to get a hold of one of my dad's semi-auto pistols. I racked the slide not knowing  then that this will chamber a round. I took out the loaded magazine hoping this will take care of the gun not firing. I aimed it towards the dining room wall and !BAAMM! My ears were ringing, slide locked back and there was a big hole in the wall.
I swear, after that incident I treat every firearm I handle as if they are loaded. BTW, my dad sold that particular pistol the following month.      
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm very sorry to hear about the tragedy that has befallen your son and family.  I pray that he makes a full recovery from his injuries.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#12]
My hopes and thoughts are with you and your son. I hope he recovers.
ARH
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#13]
May God bless you & yours, my brother.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for posting this incident.  It reminds us how alert and careful we all must be to avoid such unfortunate and tragic firearms accidents.  For myself, I try to teach my children safe firearms handling. I always remind/teach my kids to always point your muzzle in a safe direction when the gun is empty and you're going to pull the trigger that way when you lapses in memory you won't have tragic accidents like this.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow.
Imagine how the friend is feeling.
I'm sorry this tragic event has touched all of your lives.  Really sorry.

My best friend turned around with his Mini-14 right next to my head while we were preparing to go back to the firing line we'd established.  He aimed and pulled the trigger before we even started to walk and fired a damn round right next to me.  WTF!!?
We were both surprised and I've never let him forget it.  I'm sending him the link to this thread right now.
You're right.  You can never be too careful.
Right, Prospector?  

Good Luck. Godspeed. And our Prayers are with you.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Officer Down
Dave,
    Your son and all involved will be in the wife's and mine prayers.
Art in KY
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Sorry to hear that. You and your son are in our prayers.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Sorry to hear about your son. I cannot imagine the pain and grief that you and your family must be going through.

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Dave,  that is just horrible.  
Prayers....
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I am so sorry to hear that, Dave274.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Your son (and entire family) are in my prayers...

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Dave274,

You and your family will be in our prayers.  

Thanks for taking the time and sharing this with all of us.  

Like my ol' XO would say...

Safety is Paramount
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the lesson.....Dave.   My prayer to you and to your family.

I pray for your son to fully recover.....soon.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for sharing in your time of tragedy.

We can all learn something from this.

All my regards

Akira
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry to hear that about your son, good luck to him.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#26]
That is so terribly, terribly tragic, and so unnecessary.  We can all be more aware.  My family's thoughts and prayers go out to yours.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Dave sorry to here about your son ,May he have a full recovery.

As I was taught by my Grandfather ALWAYS TREAT A GUN AS IF IT WERE LOADED.And never point at anything you don't intend to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#28]
My prayers are with You and Yours. Gods speed.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#29]
My thought are with your son and I'm hoping he pulls through OK.
If anything 'good' can come from this,
take comfort in the fact you may have saved someone else's life today by sharing your story.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#30]
That is a terrible thing.  My thoughts are with you.  Keep us informed of his progress.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Dave, very sorry to hear of your tragedy.  Everyone involved is in my thoughts and prayers.

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#32]
 I wish to thank all of you who have responded with thier best wishes and prayers. We can't have too many of them.
 It has been the most trying month of my life and of course my Son's too. Mine is enduring emotionally. He is the one having to endure emotionally and physically.
 It's just so hard standing there looking down at one of your kids , knowing you can't do anything but be there for him.
 He's tough and he is a fighter. He won't give up and neither will we his family.

In reply to BenDover's post -
( As tragic as this is, it's still no reason to take away MY rights to KABA. I sincerely hope you didn't register here as a member to try to swoon people away from wanting to defend their 2nd Amendment rights with an emotional situation like yours. )

I have been a member here for a long time now.  I was a member before they changed the site. As you can tell , I don't post much but I read alot.
 I have always been a gun owner and believe everyone has that right.  Nothing will change that.
 I wanted to tell my Son's story in hopes that maybe it would help prevent even just one accident like my Son had.
 I know there are some who would use a story like this for anti gun propaganda.  Not me and not my Son.  It wasn't the guns fault , it was the man holding it and my Son knows it.    
  So as for your right to keep and bear arms, I will fight just as hard now as I would a month ago for all of us and I am positive my Son feels the same way.
 Again I thank all of you for your support and prayers.....Dave274
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#33]
You and your family are in my prayers.
God bless.
SSD
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#34]

that is horrible..i can't believe how many times i have seen people flail (?) around a muzzle because it's empty..IT'S NEVER EMPTY!  i don't care if somone is at a shop, or show or whatever..i cringed when i showed my 9mm to my friend and the muzzle went in my direction.  my girlfriend accidentally pointed my ak at me the 1st time i took her to the range..she got a safety lesson after that.  people just don't take these lessons serioulsy.  i was told sternly to watch the muzzle the first time i went shooting as well as at hunter safety and  it has stuck with me along with not pulling the trigger until ready to fire..this just shouldn't have happened, it's a shame and i'm sorry.

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:45:49 PM EDT
[#35]
The irresponsibility of some people never ceases to amaze me. Hope your son recovers well!

Your sons friend needs a blanket party!
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Damn...that REALLY hurts.  I pray that he recovers fully and rejoins your family and the force.

When dealing with firearms, there are only two times ever that safety is not at the top of the Hit Parade:

1.  When the gomers are in the wire...and,

2.  When the perp is slapping leather.

Only then, can you not worry too much about an AD.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Dave,

The only good I can see in this tragedy is that hopefully someone else will learn from it and avoid repeating the lesson.  Thanks for sharing it with us and God bless.

Dave
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#38]
 Dave I am very, very sorry. I hope the best for your son. Accidents like this should NEVER happen. I will tell you the truth, hearing this really pisses me off. Your sons friend broke three major safety rules. This was NO accident, it was incompetence on his friends part.

1]ALWAYS check the action of your weapon.
2]ALWAYS keep you weapon pointed in a SAFE direction (that means whether it loaded or unloaded unless you want to kill someone)
3]ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to fire.

IT amazes me how little most LEOs and shooters in general know about firearms safety. I will pray for your sons recovery. Frank.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I pray for your son's healing, by the power of the blood of Christ, given for him; God bless. We all need to be aware at all times. There are no do-overs in life.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#40]
... I'm sorry about your son Dave274. I hope he has a speedy recovery. He is lucky to have you in his life now more than ever.

... I cannot ever relax shooting with strangers. I do it anyway, but it's not nearly as enjoyable as when I'm with those handful of people in my life that live gunhandling safety as seriously as I do.

... Take care brother.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I feel for you and your family, and I sincerely hope that he recovers. this is definately the one thing that we all never want to happen.
I lost a good friend to careless firearm handling when I was a kid. I was 10 or 11. My friend and another friend of his (no friend of mine as I knew he was bad news), were in his basement and his friend had a couple guns. They were both teenagers, and the bad news guy I'm pretty sure was into drugs. Anyway, the idiot takes the revolver and dumps the rounds into his hand and shoves them into his pocket and points the gun at my friends chest and starts pulling the trigger.  Well, you guessed it, all of the rounds didn't fall out of the cylinder and he never looked. Shot James dead on the spot.

I truly hope your son recovers.

No_Expert
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#42]
I can only say that I hope all turns out for the best in the end.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#43]
WE ALL HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY.......

I know we all rejoice when we take a newbie shooting just remember WE are responsible for teaching THEM the things like GUN SAFETY that maybe THIER FATHERS didn't.

You and your family are in my prayers.

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:40:39 AM EDT
[#44]
I hope your son has a speedy recovery.  God bless.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:43:55 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I lost a good friend to careless firearm handling when I was a kid.

Same here. Two kids, both of whom had had no experience with firearms (grew up in liberal, anti-gun families) found a shotgun in a house they had broken into, as a prank, (No, I guess these two were not good friends of mine, after all...) while the house's owner, a retiree, was in the hospital. Whatever happened is still not clear, as this never made the papers, other than the kid's obituary. It seems one of them pointed the shotgun at the other while playing with it, pulled the trigger, and one of them died. As to how and who loaded the gun, I don't know. Fact is, the kids were-gun-ignorant, and paid the consequences.

The survivor, or perp (depending on one's POV) seemed to get over it, in time, (he had always been a goofball anyway) but the victim's sister never seemed to be the same again, at least for quite a while. This was all about thirty years or so, when it all occurred, so my memory is a bit hazy on this one.

I truly hope your son recovers.

Me too. I have three kids of my own, and drill gun safety into them until it comes out their ears. It's the OTHER kids I'm worried about, the ones who get their gun info from the TV. These others sure don't learn gun safety at home...

However, I'm still shocked that a policeman, even a recruit, would point a gun at somebody else, even in fun. Very sad.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#47]
I will keep your son in my prayers.

There is no such thing as being too safe and it is worth while to take note of these postings.

I was nearly shot in my right ear during a training exercise (I have a 25% hearing loss due to same). The soldier spent the next seven days doing PT and RTR while quoteing "I'll never keep my finger on the trigger unless I am prepared to pull it".

God Bless your son and your family.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Sorry to hear about your son & this tragic event.  I hope he heals quickly & is able to get back home soon.

Good luck to you all.

Link Posted: 12/21/2001 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Dear lord. I'm so sorry to hear about your son. I sincerely hope he recovers from this accident to lead a full and happy life.

Your son is in my thoughts. Good luck. God bless

T
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Dave,when your son recovers,Please tell me how bad he beat the shit out of that asshole who shot him.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top