Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2001 7:49:18 PM EDT
O.K. I know AK's real well, but am stupid to ar's. What do i use to clean that tiny gas tube ? And the barrel is a 20 inch 1/7 twist, so what grain ammo is best? And can i use the steel case stuff or is it to hard on the extractor?  Any thing else i missed, please fill me in>  Thanks so much.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#1]
1) Don't clean that gas tube.  You'll probably just jam the pipe cleaner in there and have to replace the tube.  If you are really worried, add some solvent and keep the muzzle pointed down.

2)1/7 will shoot anything from about 50-80 grains well (depending on the quality of the ammo)

3)I avoid steel-cased ammo as a general rule.  Brass works fine for me.

JMHO.....SRM
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#2]
?
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:23:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks SRM!  What solvent do you recommend?
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I like Shooter's Choice or CLP(Breakfree).

SRM
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 9:04:09 PM EDT
[#7]
DONT BUY 30Round USA MAGAZINES!
although the 40rounders havent cuased any problems.........YET.

"IF YOU ARE NOT PART OF THE SOLUTION,YOU ARE  PART OF THE PROBLEM"~~ SUPPORT THE NRA!!!! DOWN WITH THE DNC!
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Jander?
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys for the tips!  Why do i avoid u.s.a. magazines, and what do you guys use suggest for mags?    P.S. whats Jander?
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Another thing to know (to keep from being called "Jander"): The "boing" sound you hear from the buffer spring when shooting IS NORMAL!!!

Seriously, you came to the right place to gain knowledge. For mags, stick with USGI mags. USA mags are known to be unreliable junk and make better targets than they do mags. Another good mag choice is Thermold, preferrably the American made version.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Since you are new, be prepared to be bashed by people like vinnie and DK-Prof, This is a good place, eventhough is is the M4 rules place. These people, not all, hate people who ask questions, because they are God.
GG
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#13]
www.geocities.com/Pipeline/2494/

Have an open mind and a closed ejection port cover.

Dave S

welcome aboard
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By Gun Guru:
Since you are new, be prepared to be bashed by people like vinnie and Dick-Prof, This is a good place, eventhough is is the M4 rules place. These people, not all, hate people who ask questions, because they are God.
GG

Dude, what got up your ass?  Did I attack anyone?

What's with "people like me?"  - btw. I love the "Dick-Prof" did you come up with that all by yourself?

I just wanted to point out (with some humour that was obviously lost on you), that this new guy sounded a lot like Jander100 who JUST left (or got booted off the site).

Pantera_351 - to clarify.  Jander100 was a kid who just recently started posting a lot on this site - with all sorts of questions.  He came up with lots and lots of questions, and seemed to either be writing a book about ARs, or deliberately wasting everyboy's time.  He was also extremely arrogant, agressive and got personal very quickly (you just saw an example of that with Gun Guru).

Some of the troublemakers on this site have in the past created new account names and come back under a different name when they get kicked off.  Jander was one of them, who claimed that he was leaving the other day (after attacking a bunchof people), and then immediately changed his username.  So it was clear that he intended to come back under another name - he was just too stupid to pull it off.

Given that most people are aware of that, I was just pointing that out with my post.

Sorry I didn't explain it - it was purely meant as a little joke to all of the older members.

Welcome to the board.  Pay no attention to people like Gun Guru - ask all the questions you want, and you will find that between all of the people here, there is practially nothing that you cannot get an answer to.  (Unless you ARE Jander100 - then go away }

Link Posted: 12/15/2001 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Since you are new, be prepared to be bashed by people like vinnie and Dick-Prof, This is a good place, eventhough is is the M4 rules place. These people, not all, hate people who ask questions, because they are God.
GG

By the way GG - did you ever NOTICE that while I thought Jander was a huge troll, and I tried to avoid getting into his flamefests - I ALWAYS posted a response whenever he asked questions that I thought I had a useful answer to (between my extensive shooting experience and my military experience, I tried to answer a lot of his posts) - just in case he really was trying to learn, or in case others who read the post could benefit.

What's your problem with me, anyway?
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I didnt mean to start anything between you guys. And no i am not trolling. I guess i should of introduced myself.  I have owned several AK's but never had, touched or owned an AR. Being a little let down with my ak accuracy, i deceided to try an ar. But when i popped the rear pin out and looked around, there was no gas piston, but a tube. And i truly no nothing about AR's but am learning. I havent even shot it yet. I have read things about mags and keeping these real clean.   I have been a member over at ak 47 net for 2 years ( please dont bash me for that) :). anyhoo, My name is for the car and not the rock group. Oh and the ar is a tapco m16 upper with a dmps lower. I like the idea that i can switch uppers. Hey i just learned something there :)
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Welcome aboard Pantera!

You'll find that owning an AR-15 is addictive as you can build virtually any combination rifle to suit your needs and wants.  

Anyway, have fun on the site and ignore the people who love the flame fests.

You'll learn quickly who to listen to and who to ignore.

Alex
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks alexanderredhook!!                       Oh, i forgot to mention, i have already removed the bayo lug and removed the flash hider and put on the muzzle break.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Thanks alexanderredhook!!                       Oh, i forgot to mention, i have already removed the bayo lug and removed the flash hider and put on the muzzle break.

Good Answer!

Welcome aboard
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow, I'm a god now.  Cool. GG, next time read the entire convo and see how I bash.  I answered Jander's question, then saw him post again in another forum.  To me it seemed like a waste, so I said something. No cursing, no name calling...just making a point, and for that I get called a "F'ng Muzzleloading whatever" in one post, then in my originally posted answer I get asked for clarification on my answer.  Because of the new post count, I can see he cursed me first then asked for more help right after.  I don't know about you, but if I help out someone, then get cursed at, then get asked for more help, I tell them where to go.  I honestly have no problem with you and can understand why you may think I'm an ass, and I started it, but I'm just asking you to look at the posts again and se if you can't see how I felt at the time.  Flames happen all the time her and I've been the object of a few from my initial post here, and I'm getting used to the poking fun stuff, but sir, I have never said anything against you and I still don't understand why you think I "slam" other members when that was the one and only time (to my recollection) that I was actually upset at someone here.  If I'm wrong then point it out to me, but Jander brought that upon himself.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Pantera,

Welcome aboard.  I can't claim to be an expert, but I've been learning and really love shooting the AR.  After you've played with it a bit you'll need to get a FAL as well

As for ammo, for general use (plinking, etc.) I recommend the South African surplus that's currently on the market.  It is relatively cheap and shoot wells.  I would avoid the lacquer coated steel cased ammo (such as Wolf).  A lot of people, myself included, have problems with it.

Stick with USGI mags.  Some manufacturers include OKay, Center, Parsons, Sanchez, Adventure Line, etc.  Avoid the USA mags, they're crap.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I personally love the sweet smell of Hoppes #9 for a bore solvent.  As for lube, I use Rem Oil, just prefer it to CLP.  AR's are addictive as hell, I have one and plans in my head for about 3 more.  Need more overtime.  Welcome aboard and have fun, alot of knowledge floating around in here.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Strictly from personal experience, my 1/7 hbar 20" shoots much tighter groups with 75gr. than 55., although the 75 was Black Hills hollow point & the 55 was standard Rem. "lead head". Could be an aerodynamic issue as well as the heavier wgt. Am an admitted newbie, so perhaps some of the more seasoned members could comment?

BTW- welcome aboard, AR's rule!
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 7:02:26 AM EDT
[#24]
garheadjr,

Me too.  God I love the smell of Hoppes #9 in the morning.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 7:43:26 AM EDT
[#25]
THB:

A 1/7 twist will work for everything from 52's to 80's based on my experience.  It might work with lighter bullets as well, I just haven't tried them.  What you were probably experiencing was the difference in the quality of the bullets and ammo.  Black Hills has a pretty good reputation in the target community.

HTH.....SRM
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Pantera,

Welcome aboard.  Love Panteras BTW.  To quote Cartman from Southpark "sweeeet".

Just to reiterate what others said - do NOT clean that tube.   I have shot 1000s of rounds through my first AR and it never needs maintenance.

Keep the chamber, bolt and barrel clean and you are good to go.

James
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, It is very appreciated! And thanks for all the Good tips! Thank goodness i didnt order a butt load of mags yet:). I have 1 orlite, but will try to find some usgi ones. And i think i will leave the gas tube alone, being murphy's law likes me so much :). p.s. thanks for the complement jimmy!
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Wow, I'm a god now.  Cool. GG, next time read the entire convo and see how I bash.  I answered Jander's question, then saw him post again in another forum.  To me it seemed like a waste, so I said something. No cursing, no name calling...just making a point, and for that I get called a "F'ng Muzzleloading whatever" in one post, then in my originally posted answer I get asked for clarification on my answer.  Because of the new post count, I can see he cursed me first then asked for more help right after.  I don't know about you, but if I help out someone, then get cursed at, then get asked for more help, I tell them where to go.  I honestly have no problem with you and can understand why you may think I'm an ass, and I started it, but I'm just asking you to look at the posts again and se if you can't see how I felt at the time.  Flames happen all the time her and I've been the object of a few from my initial post here, and I'm getting used to the poking fun stuff, but sir, I have never said anything against you and I still don't understand why you think I "slam" other members when that was the one and only time (to my recollection) that I was actually upset at someone here.  If I'm wrong then point it out to me, but Jander brought that upon himself.

Yeah sorry, But its the Janderazation that got me a bollion posts answering the guy. I didnt want the guy "pre jandered". DK, didnt realize it went like that, my apologies.
GG
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 10:57:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Yeah sorry, But its the Janderazation that got me a bollion posts answering the guy. I didnt want the guy "pre jandered". DK, didnt realize it went like that, my apologies.
GG

Hey, no biggie.  I figured I might have acidentally pissed you off or something - maybe on another thread.  I probably over-reacted anyway.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, i finally got out and shot it. Very nice. I was not ready for that "boing" sound in the buttstock, but oh well. I love the sights and accurate too. I bought a ior valdada scope for it, and should have the chance to sight that in hopefully within this year. Hehehe. BTH way i had some computer email problems and lost all my email. and there was a guy that wanted to trade his regular bolt for mine, i guess the tapco m16 bolt is a bit different :). Anyhoo whoever it was please email me again.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Pantera: Welcome aboard AR15's are not junk like some of the AK guys would lead you to believe.

DK-Prof: I'm happy that you guys made up!
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#32]
learn how to use the board's search function. it can pull up a massive amount of info in a short period of time. also i'd suggest using the search to find and read every post possible, as topic authors and replys, by:

troy
chuck
tweak
tatjana
mstn

there are a lot of people here that know a ton of stuff, but those are the ones that stick out to me as consistantly posting the highest concentrations of accurate and detailed info with the least amount of fluff.

each seems to have a particulart specialty. and for hard core cramming, immerse yourself in what they have to say for a week or so and you'll probably be amazed at what you learn.
good luck!
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks Eurotrash! i will need all the info i can get. :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top