Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2001 11:54:38 AM EDT
Does anyone have a suggestion for shooting an AR at night.  Last night while I was checking cows I had some (a pair) of coyotes come within 100-150 yards of me, when I leveled down on them with my M4gery I couldn't see crap through the peep sights.  Is there a special way to shoot at night with A1 or A2 sights so you can actually aim at what you are shooting at or is it a spray and pray thing??
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#1]
You Have 5 choices:

(in order of cost - Most expensive first)

NVG type scope

Trjicon Scope (reticle glows)

Red-Dot type site (Aimpoint or Trijicon)

"Tactical" Light (like a Surefire)

Tritium Night Sights (I recommend getting just the front Trjicon Tritium sight).

Best bang for the buck is the red-dot type sight, and works well day or night.  NVG will extend your visible range but is the most expensive.  The 'Tac-Light' will allow you to use your standard iron sites  (but would it be legal or considered "Jacking"?)
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#2]
two words, night vision.

if you can swing 600 for a gen1 scope w/ IR or 1200 for gen2 w/ IR its great fun. and every cattle rancher should have one.

scott
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#3]
We always just put our girlfriends out there with car mounted lights. Perfectly legal for varmints in Colorado and is a fun date night for the girls. Shooting rats at night at the city dump is almost as much fun.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Check the law in your state before using the lights. In Oklahoma it is only legal with a shotgun and pellets no larger than #6 shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top