Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2001 11:07:52 AM EDT
Does anyone know?, Because I was think of putting one on, but I don't know if it will be worth the extra decibal's.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#1]
It doesn't actually increase the volume, it just redirects the blast more toward the shooter.  Thus it is louder for the shooter or anyone behind or to the side of the muzzle as compared to a non braked gun.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It doesn't actually increase the volume, it just redirects the blast more toward the shooter.

Or more towards the guy next to you at the range.

I had an Armalite rifle with that goofy brake they put on their guns that blew the brass off the guys table next to me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#3]
The first upper I bought had a brake on it.

Big mistake, bugged the crap out of all the other shooters next to me.

If you don't need a brake to get the barrel to 16 inches, then don't put one on. Not a whole lot of recoil to the AR anyway.

Av.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#4]
does a brake really reduce the recoil and muzzle rise alot or is it barely noticable?
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
does a brake really reduce the recoil and muzzle rise alot or is it barely noticable?

I don't notice the recoil difference, but I do notice the difference in muzzle rise.  If you have a scope on the rifle it is readily apparent.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm really starting to wonder about you.

Does anyone know why clothes at the thrift store are cheaper?
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Does anyone know?, Because I was think of putting one on, but I don't know if it will be worth the extra decibal's.

Eh?
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey ErickM.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 2:37:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Some brakes can reduce recoil considerably (but I agree the AR doesn't really have much to start with) - but they are "real" brakes and not the cosmetic ones that are made more to look like an A2 birdcage (like the Wilson brake) than to actually do much.

Kurt put a sweet brake on my M17S, and after each shot, it is still right on target, with vitually no movement.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm really starting to wonder about you.

Does anyone know why clothes at the thrift store are cheaper?

Yes he's green as hell, but he's just looking for answers.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#11]
What? I can not hear you. The gases on some muzzle brake has been redirected to side to elimate muzzle climb. However, because the gases are being redirected so does the noise.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#12]
thank's for the info guy's
and thanks to you slt223
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#13]
How's that...

Say it again...

Oh, "why does a muzzle brake make the gun louder?"

Can't quite hear ya'.  Been shootin' next to a feller with one of them &$*$^# muzzle-brakes.

Let me get this powder mess off'a my face and we'll try again...

Link Posted: 12/11/2001 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Its simple gas dynamics guys!

For a rifle without a brake, high pressure gas makes a sonic boom that travels perpendicular to the bore when it leaves the muzzle. With a brake, each port creates its own sonic boom that travels perpendicular to the port axis (back to the shooter).

Brake design can intensify the noise kind of like a giant multi-port whistle. Its the pressure differential that makes the boom.

Suppressors are designed to minimize the gas-to-atmosphere pressure differential at the suppressor exit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top