Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2001 4:11:16 PM EDT
My cousin called me a short while ago and mentioned that he is thinking of purchasing a FAL. I know absolutely nothing about these rifles, so I could not be of assistance. Obviously he has been doing his homework a little, as he knew somewhat what was good and what was not. Anyway, is there a website similar to AR15.COM that caters to FAL owners?  I feel that he just needs to join a forum and ask a few questions. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Anyway, is there a website similar to AR15.COM that caters to FAL owners?

www.fnfal.com/falfiles
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#2]
FAL files is a good place to hang out.

One thing that is imperative is for him to set a budget--the more (generally) he can spend, the better the gun he will get.  

If you know how much he has to spend, it makes it easier to answer the question.

Basically the Bad Things:

Anything by Century (Hesse receivers worst, IMBEL receiver guns have a good base, but might need some work and refinishing).

Anything built by a non-professional should be checked out carefully.

Entreprise, Olympic, Hesse, and Century receivers are generally less well regarded as the DSA or IMBEL receiver guns.

The above applies to the Kit guns--factory guns and factory "kit" guns are a whole other subject.

Best deal going right now about $1000 for a DSA built (on their own HIGH quality receiver) "kit" gun called the STG-58A.

Plan on spending at least that much for a good FAL.  

If he has any direct questions, he can e-mail me.

AFARR

AFARR

Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an L1A1 built on an Imbel reciever and can say that I have had no trouble whatsoever from this rifle. One of the best purchases I have ever made on a fire arm.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I got one of those DSA kit guns for $850 after the governor got his portion. Dealer cost is $795.

The thing was beautiful - not a scratch on it. The "used" parts were in excellent shape and hardly looked like they had been fired.

I recommend going with a metric rifle as magazines and spare parts are plentiful for them vice the inch pattern guns. I also recommend a fullsize 21" barrel as the .308 isn't a light gun to begin with and chopping off velocity robbing inches off the barrel isn't my idea of making it into a light carbine.

These things are made for CQB. The .308 can reach out and touch someone hard given a good start.

The FAL files is a good place but not as friendly as here
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Paul:
"I recommend going with a metric rifle as magazines and spare parts are plentiful for them vice the inch pattern guns."

Amen to that !!
------------
"These things are made for CQB. The .308 can reach out and touch someone hard given a good start."

You betcha!!
------------
"The FAL files is a good place but not as friendly as here"

Well, guess we can't agree on everthing. Still, two outta three ain't bad.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems and Derek Huffman at Azex Arms both make excellent post-ban FAL's- have him check out their websites.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Mark Graham: The FAL god. His webaddress is:www.arizonaresponsesystems.com
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, guys, for the help. I'll pass it on.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Highly recommend the DSA STG58A.  It's heavy with the bipod, but it's still a very good gun.  

Also bought and recommend DSA's HD picatinny/weaver rail scope mount (adds more weight) and the Austrian good condition magazines they sell off their website.  ($5 for hicaps... try getting that in the AR15 world!)

I am debating as to whether I want to put a Holosight 500, an Aimpoint ML2, or a Trijicon Accudot on the mount. Had a old Leupold on there, but wanted to put that one on a .30-06 my grandfather made out of a 03A3
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 6:46:53 AM EDT
[#10]
My FAL is an STG58 kit gun with an Imbel
receiver.  The parts were at least partially
refinished, so it looks great.  If you go
that route, and if you do it legal- you will spend $700 +, if a gunsmith does the work.   many of the kits do not have matching
parts, so it requires a little bit of skill and
tool work to get them to headspace properly.
If you have the money, go for the DSA, and you
will not be disappointed.  A word of caution
on FALs - it can get infectious - i.e. lots of
cash flow!  John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top