Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2001 7:54:36 AM EDT
I am thinking about getting a Springfield M1A. But one thing I am worried about is the cost of ammo.  Should you only shoot top grade name brand ammo in it, or can you shoot military surplus, etc. without wrecking such an expensive gun?  If surplus ammo is ok, which is best?   Thanks to anyone with an answer...    
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:58:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got two M1A's (SA Std. pre-ban & SA 9822 Loaded).  I shoot surplus to handloads.  It eats them all just fine .

Libertas an Mortis!
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Springfield Standard and I shoot Hornady TAP 168grn, no complaints.

GIB
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#3]
It's an M-14 replica.... it is made for NATO spec ammo... surplus is fine... I use surplus from all over the world in mine... US, Canadian, German, British, Malaysian, etc.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, folks... looks like ammo won't be a problem....
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Mil-surp Portuguese and Hirtenberger have given me no problems, not the most accurate but for plinking ammo works out fine.  Oh yeah - have a pre-ban standard model, walnut stock in excellent+ condition Springfield M1a that I'm putting up for sale, original box and papers included.  E-mail me if interested...
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#6]
It will eat ammo just fine.  Don't shoot a lot of proof loads or stuff like Hornady Light Magnums... little rough on the receiver.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Other than the Cavim ammo, I would avoid
South American surplus. Portuguese, British
Radway and West German ammo work fine in my STG,
and should in your M1A.  John
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#8]
 MrClean,

Interesting that you should say to stay away from CAVIM ammo.
 I pull the bullets, trim chamfer and deburr, drop 42 gr IMR 4895, seat a 168 Sierra BTHP, and shoot 5 rds. into .5 to .75 @100 yds. with regularity in my M1A.
 What experiences have you had with the CAVIM to turn you against it?
 I'm not flaming you, just curious.

Chuck
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 5:52:53 AM EDT
[#9]
"Other than the Cavim ammo, I would avoid
South American surplus."  Huh!

I've fired almost two thousand rounds of Chilean (FAEME?) FAMAE 7.62mm NATO thru my M14 (chrome lined M14 Barrel, anyway) without a hiccup and would buy more if I cound find it.  Only have a few clips left.  

Last spring it was $99/1000 delivered to my door, less than a dime a shot.  As accurate and reliable as other military ammo I've fired.  Not match ammo, of course.  Guys with 7.62mm Brownings and linking machines were shooting this by the pallet!

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I've never had problems with Cavim, Shot with no problems through my M1A , 308 M1 and FAL. Wish I would of bought alot more than I did when it was still around cheap ! Tan...
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I fired about 1/2 case of Argentine stuff through my M1A a few years back and loved it (so did the rifle.) Right now CAVIM makes up the majority of my stock, with a small amount of Radway Green as well. None of the stuff I've fired has ever given me accuracy or function problems, not even the Norinco that was popping or piercing primers on every shot (it grouped well but I stopped using it just the same, for obvious reasons.)
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#12]
 I just realized that I made a pretty tall claim in my above post, so I will elaborate.

The riffle is a Loaded Package M1A that has had the mods done to bring it to full NM specs
(Unitized front band,hooded NM sights,NM op rod spring guide, and the glass job)

It is scoped with a Gen.3 Springfield 4X14 mounted on a DPMS manufactured 3rd Gen. mount that is on tighter than a nuns you know what.

I did the mods to the rifle myself, because I can not see giving money to someone for something that I can do myself.(Read that as I purchased a stock to practice on before bedding the match stock)

The load came about after reading about the old Mexican Match loads that were the hot tip in the day.(Lake city rounds with the bullets pulled, and 168 Sierra BTHPs seated to run through a mag)

I sometimes have alot of time, and my mind plays strange tricks on me, and it just so happens that the above load is what I came up with, and my riffle likes it oh so well, and take that and stick it in your pipe and shoot it!!

Chuck(the other Chuck)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top