Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2001 4:07:56 PM EDT
I am seeing what seems to be quite alot of infrared lasers (AN/PAQ 4's & AN/PEQ 2's)for sale here and there.  It was my understanding that only law enforcement or military was allowed to have that kind of equipment.  Has something changed?
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am seeing what seems to be quite alot of infrared lasers (AN/PAQ 4's & AN/PEQ 2's)for sale here and there.  It was my understanding that only law enforcement or military was allowed to have that kind of equipment.  Has something changed?
Thanks

Better quit while you're ahead, less the gun grabbers get any ideas. There are currently no restrictions on the types of sights you can ut on a gun, whether it's lasers, night-vision (except CA- infrared is illegal, but starlight scopes are not) or scopes.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would you WANT and infrared laser?  You couldn't see it without an IR scope or goggles.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#3]
You got it - wearing IR goggles you see the IR light and the other guy doesn't.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:53:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why would you WANT and infrared laser?  You couldn't see it without an IR scope or goggles.

Duh.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:16:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:47:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It also means that you don't need to get a cheek weld to aim your rifle at night while wearing NVDs.

-Troy

BINGO!
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#7]
FWIW, I believe the restriction on the infrared lasers is simply that because you cannot see where the laser is going and it's far too easy to ruin an eyeball with it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:47:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Just incase you guys didn't know..  
Starlite night vision units also see IR.

Well my 1st Gen Ruski one does...

BISHOP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top