Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2001 6:30:44 PM EDT
Hey all.  I'm tossing around the idea of having someone put together a FAL for me.  I'm trying to keep the price below $500.  
I'm thinking of getting the Imbel reciever for $238 from SARCO, and putting a G1 parts kit, refinished, from DSA for $180 on it.
Is this all I need to have it built? Can any gunsmith put it together or do I need to find someone with special skills? How much should I expect to pay for the work?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#1]
www.l1a1.com/You will find lots of helpful info here.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll also need some US-made parts other than the receiver to be legal.  Many folks replace the hammer, trigger, sear, gas piston, and pistol grip, as well as adding a US-made muzzle device.  I'd find someone who specializes in the FAL, like Derek Huffman at Azexarms or Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems.  ARS charges $150 to assemble a kit on your receiver, but you have to supply enough US parts to make it legal.  Under $500 isn't very realistic for a good FAL.  By the time you pay for a good receiver, a good parts kit, quality US replacement parts and a competent 'smith to put it together, you're going to be well over $500.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#3]
My buddy bought a Styer STG58 that was put assembled from parts, and he had trouble chambering a round.  He finally had to pay someone $75 to correct the headspace problem.  My advice, have a person that knows what they're doing to assemble your toy, or it could be very frustrating.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top