Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2001 8:19:43 AM EDT
I'm going to the range tomorrow and want to make sure I  mount my base and rings onto my .308 PSS LTR correctly.

When screwing the Badger Ordnance base onto my receiver, do I need to use Loctite on the screws?

Also, do I need to put gunoil between the base and the receiver to prevent rust where the metal touches?

Same with the scope rings, do I need to Loctite the screws that attach them to the base and then also the screws that lock down the tops of the rings?

thanks

Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I recently mounted a 2-peice base to a remmy700. I made sure the area was clean, I put a light coat of oil on it, let it sit for about 30 min, then reapplied and let it sit for a few more min. I then wiped it off with a clean rag till it was almost dry to the touch, but I could tell that the oil had soaked into the area.

I locked the base screws with a little drop of red loctite. I did not loctite my rings. I did make sure to tighten in a rotation, each screw a few turns at a time for as even as possible stress on the scope. There is a simmons whitetail classic scope on it right now, which I figured might not be permanent, so no loctite.

I'm not sure if loctite is the norm for rings or not though. Hope this is of some help.

_FS
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Loctite makes guntite, use it.
GG
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Use the Guntite, also called Loctite blue on the base screws. Don't put Loctite on the rings and don't use Loctite red.

I made sure the area was clean, I put a light coat of oil on it, let it sit for about 30 min, then reapplied and let it sit for a few more min. I then wiped it off with a clean rag till it was almost dry to the touch, but I could tell that the oil had soaked into the area.

Hint: metal is not porous. The surface needs to be clean and the area around the mount holes needs to be degreased.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Gun tite is greenish weird color
GG
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got some that's blue. Just got done mounting a scope on a Model 70 Winchester as a matter of fact.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#6]
OK,  between advice from this board, from Plaster's book "Ultimate Sniper",  from X ring at snipercountry.com, and from the guy's at Precision Shooting that I talked to at the Crossroads show OC today,  I think I've got it figured out.

1) Clean out receiver threads with acetone and Q tips.

2) Clean receiver and bases with acetone where they will mate up.

3) Screws also get cleaned with acetone.

4) apply clear fingernail polish to screws and screw the base onto the receiver.

5) loosely screw rings onto the base.

6) put 30mm or 1" dowel (or in my case 1" steel lapping bar in the bottoms of the rings

7) screw on tops of rings.

8) make sure rings are positioned and aligned and then tighten the rings onto the base using 65 ft-lbs of torque

9) remove ring top halves

10) lap the bottoms w/ Sinclair's lapping tool and lapping compound

11) clean up everything.

12) make sure scope reticles are centered

13) position the scope for optimal eye relief and loosely tighten the top halves of rings.

14) check for cant to make sure scope is 100% vertical.

15) tighten rings with progressive diagonal pattern

16) ready to boresight and zero !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top