Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2001 10:12:56 AM EDT
Ok, I already know some people cringe when someone mentions Savage. I'm on a VERY tight budget and this is about all I can afford with the other choice being an LSI/Howa Heavy Barrel Varmint. I'll be traveling to the mainland this summer and plan to relieve Idaho of some praire dogs. I was looking at the Tactical in .223 in the short action and maybe the 25-06 in the long action. Anyone have any experience with this rifle? Your thoughts? Thanks alot!
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't let the name scare you.  For the money you can't go wrong with a Savage.  I have sold a couple of these in the past month and each of them loved it (especially for the $400 price tag).  
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Go with the Savage.  Shooting partner has one in 308.  Afer a modest amount of load workup he had the thing under a half inch at 100 yards.  Stock trigger.  For the money they can't be beat.  Pretty fair selection of after market toys availible as well.

Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Dont have any fears about the savage not shooting well. So far, with my tactical 223 with the flimsy stock, i have gotten several five shot groups at 100 yards that you can cover with a dime. This is with a box stock rifle!  From the factory the trigger is pretty heavy, however the trigger is adjustable.  If you decide to buy one and want to adjust the trigger to your liking, email me and i will give you instructions on how to do it.  As for buying the 25-06, i wouldnt bother. The ammo is way more expensive than the 223, and you probably wont be shooting past 300 yards anyways.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Troy has a point, if your going to buy a different stock and trigger you might as well get a remington 700.  but they (Savages) shoot very well.  I have a friend, and his shoots very close to what I can shoot with my remington 700 vls.  Its been a while since we got together to shoot and compare, but there isnt a lot of difference.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow guys, thanks for the info. Yeah, I've got my heart pretty much set on the Savage. LOcal pal of mine said the same about the 25-06. He did, however, suggest the 7mm-08 as well. WIll look into that one as well.

Hey "Texas", I don't have your email address but mine is listed. WOuld you do me a favor and send me the instructions on how to lighten up the trigger on the Savage?

Keep your thoughts and comments coming!
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Progun,

The link below is an article written by Claude Gatewood:

Follow this link to some on-line info about the Savage trigger adjustments.  I did these and am very happy with my trigger now, I probably won't replace it anytime soon.  Just make sure the trigger and safety still work properly, and use a bit of loktite once you get it se properly.

.www.varminthunters.com/tech.savage
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top