Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2001 12:14:36 PM EDT

I am looking to purchase an FAL, and am looking at the different manufacturers. Does anybody have experience with Azexarms? Do you have a choice of inch or metric? These things are a lot more confusing than ARs.

I am assuming I want a metric receiver because of mag availability right?

A link to a good FAQ would be greatly appreciated. l1a1.com doesn't seem to have much.

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#1]
btt to fish for answers...

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#2]
trywww.fnfal.com
Good resource, also check out their "old board".
I believe that Azexarms is pretty well thought of over there.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have any direct experience with Azex, but I've heard nothing but good things about them.  They use Austrian STG58 metric parts kits on metric Imbel receivers.  Metric mags are cheaper and more plentiful, as are really good-quality parts kits.

Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems also builds good FAL's, and he will build inch or metric, I believe.  I just ordered an 18" metric FAL from him, so we'll see how it is.  I decided to go with him because he offers the shorter-barreled guns, which I prefer.  Azex might be willing to build a shorter-barreled rifle, but they don't list them on the website.  I also don't like the imitation STG muzzle brake Azex uses, but again they'd probably put whatever legal brake you wanted on your rifle.  

ARS makes some really nice-looking 16" and 18" FAL's, and he makes them on Imbel or DSA receivers.  Either one will serve you well, but I was willing to pay the extra hundred bucks for the DSA, 'cause I think it's a little better than the Imbel.  Take a look at www.arizonaresponsesystems.com.  

Definitely stay away from Century and Hesse.  I suspect Azex and ARS make equally good products, and their prices are similar.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I second the vote on ARS I love my 18"FAL.
IMHO go metric, build your kit on an Imbel or DSA type 1 or 3  reciever. Mar Graham biuld one fine rifle,Way too  go Gunplumber!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 3:47:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I recently bought an Austrian STG58A from DSA, love it, it doesn't have a crome lined barrel but you can request one for a little extra.  It has a muzzle weight thing (not a brake or flash hidder), not sure if I care for it yet.  You can purchase used metric mags from DSA for $5 a piece and like new mags for $8.  i believe dealer cost on this rifle is $795.    
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys! I am trying to figure out what I want for Christmas, and I think I need to add a 7.62 battle rifle to my collection.

I have always wanted an FAL, but didn't know much about them.

Cheers,
Chris

Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I recently bought an Austrian STG58A from DSA, love it, it doesn't have a crome lined barrel but you can request one for a little extra.  It has a muzzle weight thing (not a brake or flash hidder), not sure if I care for it yet.

So the DSA STG58A doesn't come with a brake? Is it a bare muzzle with a cosmetic lump on the end? I kind of dislike muzzle brakes (my AR has a bushy 16" postban M4 crowned barrel) so that might be kind of cool.

Does anyone know the difference between DSA's type I and type II receivers?

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Just before I was layed off in July, I bought a pair of matching 16" FAL carbines from ARS. They are in his satin black finish, built on Imbel "gear logo" receivers using STG58 kits from FAC and DSA internals. I also went for the Penguin buttstocks and para type rear sights. Anyway, the finish is outstanding. They look like factory new guns. Amazing workmanship. If I had a digital camera, I would post some pics.

Azexarms has a good reputation as does Double G. You need to spend some time on FAL Files before you make a decision.

And I would start with metric because mags are easier to find and a lot cheaper too. After you have a couple of rifles, you will probably want to expand your collection to include inch rifles.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top